Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 09:03 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,599,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50plus1961 View Post
do a search on used coffee grinds
That's interesting and I'd never heard of it before but apparently there are studies that show coffee in standing water makes it unusable for mosquito larvae. I can see a run on the Starbucks dumsters coming up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHeard View Post
not being from the area, I wouldn't know what a Crane fly looks like. they looked like Mosquitos to me.

I would think that with the emphasis on nature conservancy that pest control companies would be careful about what they use, and where.
Pyrethrins are naturally produced by chrysanthemums and the mosquito control co's are using some chemical copy which generally has the same effect. I don't know much about the human health effects of the chemical versions or about what other chemicals might be in the sprays but I do know that natural or chemical versions of pyrethrin will kill all insects. I have little faith that the mosquito co's care about much more than their bottom line and in my experience they promote the chemical version over the "natural" version (garlic based, I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Bat houses.
Bats do eat mosquitoes but I think you'd have to have a giant colony of bats in your back yard to make a dent around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonNative View Post
Invest in some purple martin houses also. Also you could light some citronella candles or citronella tiki torches (my personal favorite).
It's been shown that Purple Martins actually don't eat many mosquitoes and in fact do eat Dragonflies which are a natural mosquito predator. So as nice as it is to have PM's around, they won't help your mosquito situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 09:11 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Bats do eat mosquitoes but I think you'd have to have a giant colony of bats in your back yard to make a dent around here.
Many bats, and almost all in the United States, thrive on an insect diet. A single bat can eat up to 1,200 mosquito-sized insects every hour, and each bat usually eats 6,000 to 8,000 insects each night.Their appetite for mosquitoes certainly makes a backyard more comfortable. Bats are opportunistic, and their lack of discretion benefits everyone. Some of their favorite prey include crop-destroying moths, cucumber beetles, flies and gnats. Natural insect control is their specialty.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:55 PM

85 posts, read 78,565 times
good article Chrome Kitty, thank you.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:04 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
I don't mind the mosquitos down here, frankly they're not that bad. It's the noseeums that drive me crazy.
Unless you're covered up, they'll drive you indoors during the nicest days of spring and fall.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:05 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
That's interesting and I'd never heard of it before but apparently there are studies that show coffee in standing water makes it unusable for mosquito larvae. I can see a run on the Starbucks dumsters coming up...

Pyrethrins are naturally produced by chrysanthemums and the mosquito control co's are using some chemical copy which generally has the same effect. I don't know much about the human health effects of the chemical versions or about what other chemicals might be in the sprays but I do know that natural or chemical versions of pyrethrin will kill all insects. I have little faith that the mosquito co's care about much more than their bottom line and in my experience they promote the chemical version over the "natural" version (garlic based, I think).

It's been shown that Purple Martins actually don't eat many mosquitoes and in fact do eat Dragonflies which are a natural mosquito predator. So as nice as it is to have PM's around, they won't help your mosquito situation.
What eats noseeums?
Maybe there's a way to get the noseeums and fire ants to wage war on eachother?

Old 03-18-2016, 06:11 AM

1,747 posts, read 879,903 times
31 Plants That Repel Mosquitoes

Old 03-18-2016, 07:03 AM

515 posts, read 482,421 times
If you have ponds/standing water on or near your property, I recommend using mosquito dunks or powder.

Summit Chemical Company | Mosquito and Insect Control Products – Mosquito Dunks®

Kill the larvae!

Old 03-19-2016, 08:08 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,599,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
What eats noseeums?
Maybe there's a way to get the noseeums and fire ants to wage war on eachother?
I love this Idea! Maybe if we can get the noseeums to join the Republican party and the Fire Ants to join the Democratic party they would become sworn enemies and wipe each other out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailjnh View Post
I'm afraid it's wishful thinking to hope that you could have enough of these plants to slow down the mosquitoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtopplings View Post
If you have ponds/standing water on or near your property, I recommend using mosquito dunks or powder.

Summit Chemical Company | Mosquito and Insect Control Products – Mosquito Dunks®

Kill the larvae!
The mosquito dunks definitely work and simply removing any standing water around your yard will make a big difference especially if the neighbors do the same. Even small areas of standing water can breed a lot of mosquitoes so you have to be pretty vigilant. Not sure if you could get enough mosquito dunks to control any sizable body of water.

There is a minnow called a Mosquitofish which eats mosquito larve and which might be good to introduce to your own pond but they're considered an invasive species so it wouldn't be good to release them into the wild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area