Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2016, 09:02 AM

74 posts, read 77,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Right? I don't get it. I fully understand there are places I can't afford to live and so what?
That's my point of view on it as well. There are many places I would love to live but I can't afford it. Therefore I don't live there and I live somewhere that I can afford. Problem solved!

Also, they said that " it’s extremely difficult for a number of people: town employees, hospital employees, restaurant employees, school teachers, firemen, police officers, to be able to live in the town where they work.” Yes, a lot of that has to do with the high prices in the area. But a lot of it is also an affect of the awful salaries the state and local government pay their employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 12:40 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
As a side note, IOP was initially for working class people. When Isle of Palms was a small town in a tropical paradise - Moultrie News

Old 03-22-2016, 01:37 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
I live in Mt P because I'm priced out of downtown. We all get priced out somewhere.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:56 PM

105 posts, read 95,543 times
I'm interested to see how this task force handles affordable housing given the town's publicized position on density.

Because in my experience affordable housing comes with density.

I would also not be surprised to see this affordable housing be placed within easy access to the ravanel or 526, seeing as commuting will be a large factor in where this kind of housing is built, basically setting a precedent for density.

This is a huge step for Mt. Pleasant in accepting that it is no longer a bedroom community, but a working suburb of Charleston with city-like needs. This signals that the city realizes that it must control growth, not fight it or let it go unchecked, if it's going to continue to maintain an above average quality of life.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:02 PM

105 posts, read 95,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I live in Mt P because I'm priced out of downtown. We all get priced out somewhere.
You're not the only one. It's funny I've actually noticed as more people get priced out of downtown, I see more and more people walking around and riding their bikes (i.e. using the sidewalks) in Mt. P.

I'm sure this has a lot to do with the growing sentiment with most people prefering a more walkable lifestyle, but I can't help but think it's also people who moved from downtown to Mt. P that still want to walk and ride bikes around town.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:03 PM

515 posts, read 482,421 times
Quote:
There are plenty of homes downtown in your price range. Just not anywhere you'd want to live.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtopplings View Post
There are plenty of homes downtown in your price range. Just not anywhere you'd want to live.
Nope, or they're in rough shape and need another $100k of work and then there's the school situation. I can't afford any of the islands even if I got a fixer upper.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:32 PM

480 posts, read 504,125 times
Quote:
I can't afford any of the islands even if I got a fixer upper.
Once Sullivans implements it's 'moderately wealthy' housing plan, I'm soooooo out of here MtP. And hey, no treating your new 'moderately wealthy' residents like second class citizens, we want beach front property.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:24 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
Once Sullivans implements it's 'moderately wealthy' housing plan, I'm soooooo out of here MtP. And hey, no treating your new 'moderately wealthy' residents like second class citizens, we want beach front property.

Bitter much?

Old 03-22-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
You'd feel pretty ostracized being a block from the beach. You'd have the same insurance cost but none of the view. That ain't living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area