Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 12:12 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,594,218 times

Advertisements

Does anyone on here eat loquats? We have a couple trees in the neighborhood and I decided to look them up. They are tasty little fruit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 12:54 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,522,604 times
That's the trees I have seen around the area! Who knew?!

Old 03-26-2016, 04:02 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,425,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
Does anyone on here eat loquats? We have a couple trees in the neighborhood and I decided to look them up. They are tasty little fruit!
My grandmother used to make preserves out of them ... they are a bit sour ... so she used a ton of sugar ...my mother had a hard time boiling water(sarcasm) .. so the receipt never made it across the generational divide....but Im sure some locals may have one ...

Old 03-26-2016, 04:19 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,594,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
My grandmother used to make preserves out of them ... they are a bit sour ... so she used a ton of sugar ...my mother had a hard time boiling water(sarcasm) .. so the receipt never made it across the generational divide....but Im sure some locals may have one ...
I wonder if there are different varieties because the couple I ate today tasted like a cross between a pear and an apricot.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I wonder if there are different varieties because the couple I ate today tasted like a cross between a pear and an apricot.
I havent had a fresh one in years... one of my native neighbors has a large tree that's loaded with them this year...she doesn't do anything with them .... but does call them Japanese plums...so you may be right ..Ill grab a couple tomorrow and give them a try ...

Old 03-26-2016, 07:17 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Growing up in Bermuda I use to climb the loquat tree and eat too too many -- lol. I have a loquat tree but it a young one. I love them and can't wait. Thinking I'm going to head downtown and forage some for myself -- lol...https://www.facebook.com/Lowcountry-...7019450648471/

Old 03-26-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Growing up in Bermuda I use to climb the loquat tree and eat too too many -- lol. I have a loquat tree but it a young one. I love them and can't wait. Thinking I'm going to head downtown and forage some for myself -- lol...https://www.facebook.com/Lowcountry-...7019450648471/
Just in passing ....Ive noticed when Im on Daniel visiting my son...that there are a number of loquat trees which are fruiting planted in public places around the island... doubt if anyone would care if someone was foraging ...have fun

Old 03-26-2016, 09:34 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
Just in passing ....Ive noticed when Im on Daniel visiting my son...that there are a number of loquat trees which are fruiting planted in public places around the island... doubt if anyone would care if someone was foraging ...have fun
It seems to be an acceptable thing to do.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:21 AM

3,865 posts, read 4,602,405 times
I'd say public Loquats are fair game. On private property, I'd always ask but most people don't pick the ones they have. I remember a customer I used to work for (construction) that had a huge Loquat and I used to pick and eat them at lunch break as well as the end of the day. They tasted great but it seems to me not all loquats are created equal flavor-wise. I have a tree that is only so-so.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:38 PM

179 posts, read 325,711 times
Quote:
There are different varieties that differ in sweetness. There's also kumquats, and people sometimes confuse the two, as they look somewhat similar to people that aren't familiar with them even though they aren't related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area