Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 05:45 PM

5 posts, read 14,062 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are from the Philadelphia/South Jersey area. We currently live in a great historic town in Minnesota. We do love it and the schools are great....however the winters are horrid. We tolerated the winters for several years but can no longer deal with the cold. So we would like to move our family back to the east coast preferably in a milder climate. We visited the Charleston area and loved it.

Our house is up for sale so we are beginning our research to pinpoint where we would like to purchase a new home. We have 4 children (6th, 4th, 1st and PreK) so schools are a big priority for us. The older two are in the gifted program with our school district so I want to make sure they remain challenged.

We looked back at old threads and saw that Mount Pleasant and Daniel Island schools are good. Many of the posts were a couple years old so wanted to get some current thoughts on the schools. I also saw that there are new schools that opened and some that will be opening in the area. Thoughts?

Another question I have is if we lived on Daniel Island could we apply to the Academic Magnet high school or would we need to be in Mount Pleasant?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!

If there is a recent thread with the same info, please point me in the right direction. I hate to ask the same questions just answered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 06:31 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,936 times
The information hasn't changed that much on the schools... Mt Pleasant still has good schools across the board and the Daniel Island school scene is good too. Those are two of the most expensive areas (aside from the beach communities) around Charleston though so if budget is a consideration, you might want to look at James Island, Hanahan or Summerville all of which have good school options. Also, I don't think DI residents can go to the Academic Magnet High School because they're in two different school districts. It would be best to call AMHS to be sure.

I grew up in the SW Philly suburbs... Springfield, PA.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:58 PM

657 posts, read 738,490 times
A lot more knowledgeable people on here, but I think DI only has a private catholic high school. So your best bet for good, free, high school is in mt pleasant. They building a new high school to be shared with the Cainhoy area in a few years though, I think. I don't think you can go wrong in either place. Budget could also sway you.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:51 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,423,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEB1786 View Post
A lot more knowledgeable people on here, but I think DI only has a private catholic high school. So your best bet for good, free, high school is in mt pleasant. They building a new high school to be shared with the Cainhoy area in a few years though, I think. I don't think you can go wrong in either place. Budget could also sway you.
first off ... you wont be wrong in choosing either area ... that said...DI has 10 rated elementary and middle schools on island.... and a private Catholic high school on island as well ...the school district is currently building a new STEAM focused High School located just off island serving DI and Cain Hoy... scheduled to be ready for the 2017 school year.

In Mount Pleasant... I believe all the lower and middle schools are highly rated... 9 or 10....and there as well ... a new additional high school is scheduled to be open by 2020. In addition a new charter high school ...Oceanside.. sports oriented ..is scheduled to open next school year and will be available without concern for school districts.

Academic Magnet is available to kids living within the Charleston County School district which includes Mt Pleasant... but not DI which is in the Berkeley School District.

The oft proffered advice... come visit ... look around ...make a knowledgeable decision... which may mean renting for a year until you become familiar with the area if you can.... tho with 4 kids possibly having to change school after a year... it would be tough.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:19 AM

52 posts, read 58,526 times
I think if you own property - no matter how small - in Charleston County but live on Daniel Island you can apply to Academic Magnet. Double check on this, but I think this is the case. I know a few Daniel Island families that live on Daniel Island but have children at Magnet.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:45 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,351,036 times
If you dont work out of your home, secure employment first then decide where to live based on your local wages.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Address View Post
I think if you own property - no matter how small - in Charleston County but live on Daniel Island you can apply to Academic Magnet. Double check on this, but I think this is the case. I know a few Daniel Island families that live on Daniel Island but have children at Magnet.
That sounds right. I remember some controversy over this a couple of years ago but don't know how/if it was resolved. I wonder if there's a business to be made out of selling shares of a cheap property in Charleston county to DI residents?

Old 03-23-2016, 07:07 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
All they have to do is change the law to primary residence. duh?! Sometimes you just have to wonder.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:10 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
Charleston County School District to begin charging tuition to new out-of-county students - Post and Courier

Old 03-23-2016, 07:31 AM

Good find.

"It becomes a concern if the out-of-county student population grows to the point it is excluding students who live in and attend Charleston County schools"

It's not a minor issue for people with kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area