Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 02:08 PM

455 posts, read 670,265 times

Advertisements

In the final stages of moving from our lake home in Tennessee to Mount Pleasant. We currently have our JetSki on a lift back at the lake. We don't want to trailer it once we get it here. Are there any storage areas for wave runners that would put in for us? Is there any close by areas to Mount Pleasant that would have such storage facilities and access to good areas to ride? Also concerned about the maintenance if the ski is used in salt water. Should we just sell it and resign ourselves to the kayak and SUP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 02:50 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,538 times
Cant answer your storage question but Im sure others on here may be able to .... but there are plenty of folks on jet skis racing around the waterways ..pretty much all year long ... lots of them pull into the Shem Creek area .. you might want to....get down there and ask

Old 05-16-2016, 06:01 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
IMHO, this area isn't safe for jet skis. The waterways can get really crowded with some big fast boats and it's not like people on jetskis are out pleasure cruising, they're usually ripping along pretty fast, making it even more dangerous in this area. Plus, with jet drives, there's lot of mud/shells, etc that you can suck into the system and damage it.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:18 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,354,507 times
I know several people that have jet skis and have never had an issue. You tend not to see them to often in the harbor, but rather in the deep water creeks, up river, and such. I've seen lifts for them and drive on docks. Most people trailer them. I can't imagine trying to keep them in the water... I've never heard of bottom painting a jet ski.

They are a minority thing though. Don't see to many of them out. As a SUP boarder jet ski's can be a real pain in the butt. The riders I see encounter seem to have little respect for those they share the water with.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:19 PM

455 posts, read 670,265 times
Thank you for your responses. They pretty much confirm our thoughts about bringing the ski here.
Riding on a big open lake and then being able to put it back on a lift, seems a lot easier than trailering it to a boat ramp and dealing with the salt water. I called several marinas and they do not offer a stacking service with jet skis.
I don't think I could manage all that myself and the waterways do seem to be more challenging here. Looks like we are going to let it go and if we really get the urge, we can go rent one for a few hours.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:57 AM

42 posts, read 151,901 times
I see this is an old thread but I would like to chime in for future readers. I have been jet-skiing in and around the Charleston SC area for 16yrs now. In my opinion it is a fabulous area for such activity. I have had my share of problems with salt, sand, boat ramps, etc.... but my friend it is well worth it. There are wonderful areas to explore here and it is endless. The rivers are fantastic and the salt water is divine. Look me up with questions. I will be glad to help and advise

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...CHDiKr9UqpdsAV <<<< Waverunner Riding - Charleston SC, Yamaha FX140

Old 07-05-2018, 10:02 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNSea55 View Post
Thank you for your responses. They pretty much confirm our thoughts about bringing the ski here.
Riding on a big open lake and then being able to put it back on a lift, seems a lot easier than trailering it to a boat ramp and dealing with the salt water. I called several marinas and they do not offer a stacking service with jet skis.
I don't think I could manage all that myself and the waterways do seem to be more challenging here. Looks like we are going to let it go and if we really get the urge, we can go rent one for a few hours.
You can always rent one for an hour every so often and not worry about gas, permits, insurance or maintenance. I like to rent them at folly beach and ride parallel to waves.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:09 AM

I ride the Morris Island Inlet. I always tie a 20' bungy to my ankle in case I fall off. I use to rent ski's before I purchased. In 2002 I bought a new Yamaha FX140 1000cc Cruiser. It is now way past time for a trade up. I have put about 230 hours on it. One of the personal problems I had with renting was that they confined me to a perimeter. I wanted freedom to go everywhere is one of the reasons I purchased.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81M1...pdsAV&index=10

Old 07-05-2018, 01:28 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mLeeTaylor View Post
I ride the Morris Island Inlet. I always tie a 20' bungy to my ankle in case I fall off. I use to rent ski's before I purchased. In 2002 I bought a new Yamaha FX140 1000cc Cruiser. It is now way past time for a trade up. I have put about 230 hours on it. One of the personal problems I had with renting was that they confined me to a perimeter. I wanted freedom to go everywhere is one of the reasons I purchased.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81M1...pdsAV&index=10
Where does the bungy go while riding? Great idea!

Old 07-19-2018, 12:29 PM

I put the bungy in the well and put my foot on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area