Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 12:32 PM

11 posts, read 61,700 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Texas. I love coastal South Carolina but have not been there in years. Are there major differences between Charleston and Hilton Head, SC? i.e. property values, property appreciation, type of people, communities, etc. I appreciate your help. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 04:04 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
Chiming in from Atlanta here... I have some good friends who moved to Hilton Head with no ties to anyone there, and they had a very hard time making friends and connections. They felt that it was a "closed society," and that if you didn't grow up there, you would have trouble "fitting in." BTW, they are very social and likable people. They wound up moving here to Atlanta, but they really didn't like it there.

No slam on Hilton Head. It's a great place to visit, and I'm sure that some people would say the same of Charleston society. My husband grew up there and still loves it, although we're in Atlanta.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:34 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,765,677 times
IMO, Charleston is much more family-friendly than Hilton Head...there is definitely a much wider variety of entertainment, shopping, dining, etc. here in Chas. than in Hilton Head. I love Hilton Head and its beaches are beautiful, but unless you golf or play tennis, there isn't much to do there.
We have colleges, theaters and auditoriums, historical places of interest, beaches, military base and places of interest (ie. Yorktown, Patriot's Point, Fts. Sumter and Moultrie, etc.), lots of restaurants, inns, shops, live performances, museums and art galleries, old churches, a wonderful downtown area where you can park and walk for miles, and several good hospitals including the Medical University of SC.

So, for all the above reasons and many more, Charleston has a lot more to offer in my opinion.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:56 PM

23 posts, read 96,866 times
Where in TX are you from? I am from TX, too and am moving to Bluffton/Hilton Head area. We are moving for a job in Savannah.

Charleston is a much larger city with a lot more do to! Where as HHI seems much more small townish. Aside from both being cosatal they seem apples and oranges to me!

Old 07-28-2008, 05:35 PM

96 posts, read 255,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcp07 View Post
I currently live in Texas. I love coastal South Carolina but have not been there in years. Are there major differences between Charleston and Hilton Head, SC? i.e. property values, property appreciation, type of people, communities, etc. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

I think Hilton Head Island is much better than Charleston. Actually Beaufort and Savannah are better than Charleston. Charleston was boring and overated. They need more riverview stores, restaurants. HHI is clean,tons of things to do and very friendly people. I just don't get Charleston. Been a few times and just didn't do anything for me like HHI, Savannah and Beaufort. I relocated to HHI for 3 years and it's the best thing I ever did. It is not a "closed society" I met tons of friends already.
Good luck and now is the time to buy property on the Island. So come on down !

Old 07-28-2008, 07:41 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
I find Hilton Head to be very boring. There is very little nightlife and if you don't go to the beach or play golf or tennis there is little else to do.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:56 AM

55 posts, read 202,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_Guy View Post
I think Hilton Head Island is much better than Charleston. Actually Beaufort and Savannah are better than Charleston. Charleston was boring and overated.
I couldn't disagree more. Out of the 25 states I've been to, many many cities inside them, Charleston would top my list as the best. Savannah would be right up there as well had I not left our place at night to find scurrying roaches falling from trees and chasing us up the street.

Visit for yourself and get a good feel for a place. Chances are you have different tastes than any of us. But for the record, I'd much rather have a riverside park or walkway than a resturant. Let's enjoy the nature and not ruin it by commercializing it.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:57 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
Go with Charleston. Sooo much more to do there compared to Hilton Head Island/Bluffton. ..or theres always Savannah!

Old 07-31-2008, 05:18 AM

245 posts, read 447,858 times
Charleston is an actual city while Hilton Head is essentially a large retirement community. Charleston has more character and appeal than Hilton Head. Does Hilton Head even have a downtown or even a town center?

Old 07-31-2008, 06:17 AM

91 posts, read 378,596 times
Living within any city is not anything like living in any golf resort. if I had to choose I would rather live on HHI and be about 20 miles from the city of Savannah. HHI is one big gated golf community with a beach and harbor and a with some cultural life. Its more like a very upscale suburbia. Charleston is very attractive if you prefer city life.
HHI however is on an Island with one bridge which seems confining to me.
Most people would love to have the choice of one or the other!
The demographics are totally different as you would expect.
A lot of the housing on the island, while impressive is mostly from the 80s. Both areas are affected by the real estate crisis. HHI has limited amounts on the market which could help in good times, while Charleston has a lot more employment opportunities and economic growth. (in good times)

Last edited by Coasters; 07-31-2008 at 06:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area