Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 9,001 times

Advertisements

Hey, my boyfriend just joined the Navy and will be relocating to Charleston later on in the year. He wants me to go with him, but I've never been to Charleston. I have a few questions about living there and was wondering if anyone could give me advice. I'm 24, and my boyfriend and I plan on getting married and starting a family after he is finished with the Navy. Here are my questions...

1. Are there any major colleges nearby?
2. Is it an expensive town to live in?
3. How close could I be to where my boyfriend would be staying?
4. Are there a lot of bad area's around town?
5. Are there a lot of modern stores and restaurants?
6. What is the town known for?
7. Would it be tough to relocate there as a 24 year old girl living alone?

Any advice on any of these topics would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you so much for helping me! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 02:41 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,016,626 times
1.They're not all -in- Charleston, but...

Charleston Southern University
- Charleston Southern University - (843) 863-7000 - more
College of Charleston
- College of Charleston, Charleston, South Carolina - (843) 953-5670 - more
Clemson University: Charleston
- Clemson University - (843) 722-5940 - more
Charleston School of Law
- Charleston School of Law - (843) 329-1000 - more
Citadel Military College of Sc
- The Citadel - The Military College of South Carolina - (843) 225-3294 - more
Charleston Southern University: School of Business
- Charleston Southern University - (843) 863-7955 - more
Clemson University
- Clemson University - (843) 744-2974 - more

2. That would depend on your perspective and which area of the lowcountry you live in, where you shop, how often you go out, etc. It's much less expensive than living in New York, San Francisco, Atlanta, etc.

3. That depends on where you want to live. Charleston's about 30 minutes from the base in Goose Creek (if that's where he's going to be stationed).

4. There are areas with higher crime rates, just like any city.

5. Modern stores and restaurants? You won't ever want to leave.

6. History, hospitality, culture, food, arts, beaches, and sunshine, in a nutshell.

7. Just find yourself a job and you're all set. It's always rated as one of the most hospitable cities in the country for a reason.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:59 PM

355 posts, read 1,449,413 times
I'm 25, female and just moved here with my boyfriend in January.

I'll try to answer as best I can. First of all, it greatly depends on where you are coming from. Someone from Ohio will have a different opinion on this that I will coming from Southern California.

1. Are there any major colleges nearby? Yes.
2. Is it an expensive town to live in? Somewhat.
3. How close could I be to where my boyfriend would be staying? Not sure.
4. Are there a lot of bad area's around town? There are a few areas *I* would stay away from just from looking at them during the day, but then again I have seen some seriously ugly areas in LA and I don't stress out about it too much. Every city has those areas that you just make an effort not to spend too much time.
5. Are there a lot of modern stores and restaurants? Yes, but the style of food here is really different and I've had a hard time finding food that I liked.
6. What is the town known for? History, culture and food it seems like.
7. Would it be tough to relocate there as a 24 year old girl living alone? I don't think so. There are SO many young people here, lots of students around, jogging at night, women walk alone around here, lots of groups of kids out and about....I think it will be easy if you either make an effort or if this is really your kind of place to begin with.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:11 AM

23 posts, read 95,003 times
My fiance is also in the Navy and has been here for over a year now so I can help you out a little bit. =] Ive been to Goose Creek NUMEROUS times and I love it there. I can't wait to move! Everyone has answered your other questions so I will stay away from that, except for one. Depending on where you move to, you should be close to him. We are looking at a place that would only be a 15 minute drive with traffic. There are plenty of places to live, and they are reasonably priced. I think there is plenty to do in Goose Creek for young people, and you are not far from Charleston or other areas so entertainment would not be an issue. I hope this has helped and let me know if you have any more questions!

Old 02-23-2008, 07:32 AM

899 posts, read 3,490,417 times
S_S,
I thinks that is excellent advice. The closer you are, and still feel secure, the better.
jim

Old 02-23-2008, 08:22 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,471,350 times
Welcome to Trident Technical College and a few more not mentioned as well

Google Charleston, there's tons to do and see here...

Old 05-13-2008, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 8,789 times
So i'm joining this club too. I'm 25 and my boyfriend is headed to charleston for navy nuclear power school for six months to a year...I said I would go too.
I'm more nervous about making friends. Not that I have a problem generally but it seems like people who are outside this whole military life don't quite get it the same way....
are there any get togethers for navy sig others? I'm afraid to live there and only know him..Never lived with a guy before!!!

Old 05-13-2008, 08:07 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,761,744 times
All of you Navy girlfriends need to exchange e-mails and arrange to meet....you may have just formed some new friendships here in Charleston - compliments of City-Data! Good luck to all of you!

Old 05-15-2008, 09:20 AM

23 posts, read 95,003 times
You wont have a problem making any friends...

Ive taken my daughter for walks around our apartment complex and I meet people every single time. Ive made two really good friends who live right here and Ive become acquainted with several others. One is military, the other is not.

You said you two were only boyfriend/girlfriend so Im sure you will be living off base in some of the apartments nearby. If thats the case, you shouldnt have any trouble whatsoever making friends. =] But you will want some while your boyfriend is in school. He will soon be putting in LONG days.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 8,691 times
hey PinkRumor, my boyfriend is going to do Nuclear at the navy too and he is going to South Carolina, but now he is in boot camp for another 8 weeks. I really miss him and I hope the time passes really fast . however, he told me that after boot camp he has to go to Charleston. HOw does that work? you can go visit him during weekends? I live in new york and I'm going to school here. I cannot leave da city because of my major "International Trade and Fashion Marketing". I love where i live and I love him too . he understands I can't leave school and move with him n because we think there's no future for me with my major in South Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area