Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 12:21 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,986,633 times

Advertisements

You lived here for like 27 years and think 85 is hot?
I personally think the 4 seasons thing is overrated. Why is freezing winters such a desirable attribute? Is a barren grey and white landscape for a few months really required for an ideal climate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 12:25 PM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 8 days ago)

5,756 posts, read 4,741,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I personally think the 4 seasons thing is overrated. Why is freezing winters such a desirable attribute? Is a barren grey and white landscape for a few months really required for an ideal climate?
The Army stuck me in Kansas. Definitely 4 seasons there. You can have it.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:28 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,075,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Yeah anything over 85 is hot to me. I also lived in Florida for 20 years, Atlanta for a couple and Spartanburg for 4. It's all hot. Oregon............so nice......... :-)

Old 08-22-2016, 02:50 PM

482 posts, read 847,298 times
I been here 6 years and really miss the cooler temps

Old 08-22-2016, 03:07 PM

3,872 posts, read 4,619,723 times
In the original post the OP defined "anywhere from 50-90 degrees" as enjoyable weather. Everybody feels the heat differently but I stick by my original response that July and August might be considered "super miserable" and the rest of the year ranges from tolerable to downright nice. Yes, we can have some freezing weather in the winter and it can get hotter than 90 outside of July/August but it only happens every so often and rarely lasts long.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:05 PM

204 posts, read 185,548 times
It is getting hotter too. One of the local newscasters was celebrating the fact that we had the hottest July ever this year. I was wondering what kind of idiot gets excited about that.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas4Life View Post
It is getting hotter too. One of the local newscasters was celebrating the fact that we had the hottest July ever this year. I was wondering what kind of idiot gets excited about that.
We had a stalled high pressure heat bubble sitting on top this place for a couple weeks in July.
I have no idea why weather people get excited over breaking temp records other than their job is probably boring if it's just a perfect day everyday. Or they could be from up north where heat is some sort of cherished attribute. Every place I've ever lived weather people consider 95 degrees and no rain for days on end as "a nice day". I learned to stay indoors during "nice days".

The last few days have actually pretty comfortable around sunset.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:59 PM

16 posts, read 11,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Forget Charleston if you mean any of the above quoted from your post. Hot & humid approx. 4 months a year. The other 8 months are heaven!
Maybe I can handle 4 bad months if it means the other 8 are heaven! 😉 I have been tracking Charleston's humidity vs. mine (in North Texas) and they are pretty comparable. When the 4 bad months are over, does the humidity continue to be as issue?

Old 08-23-2016, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiannLE View Post
Maybe I can handle 4 bad months if it means the other 8 are heaven! 😉 I have been tracking Charleston's humidity vs. mine (in North Texas) and they are pretty comparable. When the 4 bad months are over, does the humidity continue to be as issue?
Not that I recall. Once fall hits, it feels like fall. At around sunset last night, humidity got down to 51% here. It was a great time to be out.

Keep in mind it's the mugginess that you most likely don't like. Humidity is just one function of mugginess. Places like Washington are far more humid than Miami, but the colder temps means "muggy" ends up feeling "cold and damp". Dew points are also a factor. It could be humid out but still comfortable if the temperature far exceeds the dew point. The 100 degree temps everybody was complaining about back in July was actually caused by a high pressure system that actually made our typical Charleston humid summer feel more like Arizona's dry heat.

I guess the overall point is tracking humidity alone doesn't tell the whole story. The overall consensus around here seems to be it's comfortable to most people here in the fall.

The pleasant months will be extended by a few weeks the closer you live to the coast because the additional humidity and sea breezes helps prevent radical temperature swings.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:12 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,075,003 times
I had a whole house HUMIDIFIER because in Dec, Jan, Feb humidities can go below 25 and even as low as 15 in winter. Now I have a small Vicks humidifier that I use for those months. Otherwise your skin will be miserable and your sinuses can even bleed.

Fall is the best season here imo. Also dew point is the real indicator of comfort, not humidity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiejHVHrdOo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area