Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 10:23 AM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 4 days ago)

5,750 posts, read 4,729,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
If you just explain to folks how things are done up north, they are usually very amenable
You win the internet for today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 11:08 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,598,616 times
I will take cars sitting at the line waiting to go over clogging the intersection any day. I come from the north and every single day at rush hour the intersections would be completely jammed with the cars pulling way out waiting for their light to turn red so they can take a left. No one would end up moving. I would sit through at least a half dozen light cycles before actually being able to go. Theven north can keep their clogged intersections!

Old 09-08-2016, 04:57 AM

92 posts, read 83,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
I will take cars sitting at the line waiting to go over clogging the intersection any day. I come from the north and every single day at rush hour the intersections would be completely jammed with the cars pulling way out waiting for their light to turn red so they can take a left. No one would end up moving. I would sit through at least a half dozen light cycles before actually being able to go. Theven north can keep their clogged intersections!
Amen. People being kind and polite while driving and following the law is a nice thing. I don't want it to change. I am from Philly and every now and then my old driving style comes back and I have to shut it down!

Old 09-08-2016, 05:27 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,074,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
I agree. Clogging an intersection is unacceptable. I will always move into the intersection to await a turn but only if the road I am turning to has no traffic and no chance of me being stuck in the intersection.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:45 AM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 4 days ago)

5,750 posts, read 4,729,625 times
I notice the changes over the years. As traffic becomes more dense, people's driving styles change. They become more aggressive and impatient. I notice it every morning on 526 going from MtP to North Charleston (CSU).

Old 09-08-2016, 06:28 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,045,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I notice the changes over the years. As traffic becomes more dense, people's driving styles change. They become more aggressive and impatient. I notice it every morning on 526 going from MtP to North Charleston (CSU).
Or maybe we have more aggressive drivers moving here. But yes, I've noticed the same thing. Plus, I hear people using their horns a lot more now - something that I never ever heard before other than for saying 'hey' to someone you knew.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:38 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,074,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Or maybe we have more aggressive drivers moving here. But yes, I've noticed the same thing. Plus, I hear people using their horns a lot more now - something that I never ever heard before other than for saying 'hey' to someone you knew.
I use my horn more than in the past. When I see a car stopped at a light with 4 car lengths empty in front of it I know they are on their cell phone and will be very slow to move when the light changes. There are so many of these new "land mines" that I have no problem reminding them with my horn that "I'm DRIVING HERE". They are just happy to keep surfing on their phones getting Facebook likes oblivious to the world around them. I'm happy to help bring them back to reality.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:38 AM

14 posts, read 17,698 times
Oh it's much worse in other cities like DC, Atlanta, and Miami. I was stationed in Oahu, Hawaii for 4 years and the traffic can get bad, but no worries, because everyone is so nice. Just put on your turn signal and they will slam on the brakes to let you in. My Hawaiian friend said everyone here is Ohana, family; the driver in front of you may be your auntie or cousin. So everyone is kind and respectful. So I try to drive Aloha here now and hope it encourages others to do the same. Would be so much nicer if everyone drives Aloha.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:53 AM

973 posts, read 917,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindFisherman View Post
Oh it's much worse in other cities like DC, Atlanta, and Miami. I was stationed in Oahu, Hawaii for 4 years and the traffic can get bad, but no worries, because everyone is so nice. Just put on your turn signal and they will slam on the brakes to let you in. My Hawaiian friend said everyone here is Ohana, family; the driver in front of you may be your auntie or cousin. So everyone is kind and respectful. So I try to drive Aloha here now and hope it encourages others to do the same. Would be so much nicer if everyone drives Aloha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area