Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 07:39 AM

12,952 posts, read 18,805,608 times

Advertisements

I don't have children or grandchildren, but based on my brief research I'm pretty sure James Island schools are good. Living on the island in the city of Charleston, north of Camp Road, is working great for us. We use interior neighborhood streets to get within a couple of blocks of the James Island Connector (expressway), and MUSC is 10 minutes from our doorstep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 07:52 AM

480 posts, read 505,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
However, if you are into head banger / rage music it could be a perfect fit. Driving home in stop and go traffic, screaming in your car, other drivers look over and shake their heads like "yes, we agree".

"Traffic??? What traffic?"
I've noticed the traffic deniers have been less vocal

Old 09-09-2016, 07:52 AM

5,286 posts, read 6,226,955 times
Do you know your schedule at MUSC? They tend to have a lot of off shifts- meaning 7 am staff changes and some office jobs coming in at 9. Those off times are in theory rush hour but will help you a lot getting in the morning from outer West Ashley (but not as much from Summerville.)

Also MUSC has a lot of satellite facilities in the area so sometimes commute options open up because of that- but I am assuming you know the exact location. Some of the drive can be mitigated by the CARTA (local bus system) that runs Express busses from park and ride lots directly to MUSC, College of Charleston and maybe Roper. They cut out all the intermediate stops and they are free to employees. It doesn't necessarily cut down on time but it greatly reduces the stress level and I have a couple of coworkers who start or end the day tending to loose ends/reading reports/emailing from the bus.

One other area I'd look into is Hanahan. It has pretty good schools and can be a better commute than Summerville or outer West Ashley depending on time of day and location. You have more options because of the age of your kids. With all the professionals, business owners and skilled labor transplants a lot of the former also ran schools are getting an influx of more educated or higher income parents who are bound to help spike school scores/rankings.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:12 AM

15 posts, read 29,902 times
Thank you so much for the feedback!

I will be working roughly 730-430 (give or take) and at the main campus there.

I will definitely look into the hanahan area you mentioned!

Old 09-09-2016, 08:28 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,073,093 times
Hanahan will still likely have worse traffic than West Ashley or James Island though. Hanahan and Summerville both need I26 or River Road or Hwy61 to get there.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:40 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,465,455 times
West Ashley and James Island are your best bets. Your kids will get a good schooling and your commute will be much easier. Plus that's less you'll be throwing away on gas and less milage on your car over time.

Maybe Mt Pleasant further down the line, but for now I think you can find something that fits you and your family in West Ashley, with James Island being a second option.

Good thing is MUSC is on the western edge of the peninsula, so you'll be saved from having to drive all through downtown.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:05 AM

58 posts, read 82,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bst77 View Post
Thank you so much for the feedback!

I will be working roughly 730-430 (give or take) and at the main campus there.

I will definitely look into the hanahan area you mentioned!
I would estimate you'd still be looking at 50+ minutes at that time to that location. Same awful conditions as well. Also, on the subject of MUSC, you will most likely be parking in a satellite lot (Hagood most likely) and then your will have to take a bus to campus. So, add another 10-20 minutes to your commute.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:25 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,073,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnst View Post
I would estimate you'd still be looking at 50+ minutes at that time to that location. Same awful conditions as well. Also, on the subject of MUSC, you will most likely be parking in a satellite lot (Hagood most likely) and then your will have to take a bus to campus. So, add another 10-20 minutes to your commute.
That's correct. They had parking in lots when I was there but it was like $80 a month to park.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:07 PM

92 posts, read 83,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
I would not live in Summerville if my job was at MUSC. You are looking at 60 minute drive times on average and probably once every week or two traffic stops and takes 90 minutes to 2 hours to get home or to work. I would look at James Island, West Ashley or Johns Island. Probably Johns Island schools are bad though.
I second this. Took me close to 90 minutes to get to Summerville from Ashley Ave. Your kids are young, James Island would work. Alternatively, Mount-P might work as well.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:49 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,872,393 times
It depends whatbtime you have to be to work. My wife has to be there at 8am. She leaves around 640and there bfore 730 most of the days. Afternoons would take her around 45mins if there isnt a accident
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area