Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 04:52 AM

2,626 posts, read 4,028,105 times

Advertisements

I am having a rather frustrating problem with my Comcast internet, and I know there are some pretty smart techies on this forum, so wanted to see if someone could point me in the right direction to getting this problem resolved.

We have three devices we use for internet. An iPhone, an iPad and my laptop, which is about 3 years old (HP Pavillion).

The problem is with the laptop and the 2.4ghz connection. We have Blast internet, but for some reason, can only access the higher speed 5ghz connection with the iPhone and iPads. We were told by Comcast that "older" laptops can't access the 5ghz connection.

We have been in CP since April, and starting @ a month ago, I stated losing connection on my laptop @ 7-8 times a day. Diagnostics can't find the problem, and most times - not always - if I shut the laptop down completely, I can get back on. Sometimes even that doesn't work and I have to reset the modem/router (Comcast equipment)

I have spoken to Comcast 3 times now, and they can't find the source of the problem. They were out yesterday to check outside, replace all the connections, and replace the modem/router. 5 minutes after the tech left, it happened again, and has since happened another 3 times.

1) What is the issue with the laptop not being able to access the 5ghz connection, which I am told is the stronger connection?

2) Is there a way to upgrade the laptop so that I can access 5ghz?

3) Is it a firewall issue?

4) Could it be interference from neighboring houses since the houses are so close here? I read some weird thing on Google that I didn't completely understand about an issue with someone losing connection all the time because a neighbor hadn't set his country code or something correctly. (??)

As an aside, we rented for 1-1/2 years on Daniel Island and had Comcast and never had these issues. We have none of these issues with the iPhone or iPad, which is why I am hoping there is a way to get the laptop to access the 5. Really don't want to have to buy a new laptop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 05:42 AM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 12 days ago)

5,758 posts, read 4,749,008 times
1. The laptop has an older style WiFi card.

2. Yes. You can buy a USB WiFi adapter that will give you faster speeds.

3. No.

4. No.

Comcast router/modem are junk. If you don't have phone with them, buy a router and modem at some place like Best Buy/Amazon. They will provide better service quality within your house and will eventually pay for themselves in time.

EDIT TO ADD: I'm not sure what the difference is between DI and CP locations, signal strength and connectivity can be strongly influenced by placement of the router. The tech who installed for my girlfriend put the router in the bottom of an entertainment center. You want the router higher up, especially in a multi story house. Are there certain areas of the house where the signal is stronger? Try using an iPhone app called WiFi analyzer and move around the house testing signal strength.

Last edited by m1a1mg; 09-10-2016 at 05:51 AM..

Old 09-10-2016, 06:54 AM

Thank you very much! I've installed the app and will check that out.

I assume the reason I can't upgrade the laptop (replace the wireless card which is single band only as you say) is because HP use a whitelist in the BIOS of the laptop?

Seems like USB Wi-Fi adapter might be a simple fix to allow connection to the 5ghz band? Worth a try at @ $20. Beats buying a new laptop.

I have since read that many people are having issues with their 2.4ghz connections after the Windows 10 update was done, which might be the issue here and would explain why I had no issue on DI or our first few months in MP/CP.

I think I have a router/modem hanging around (which Comcast told me if I used they wouldn't guarantee the internet speeds), but it is older - @8 years. Do I need to get a new one that supports dual band? Do you have any recommendations?

Interesting about placement of the modem/router. Right now it is in the bottom of the TV cabinet. I will try moving it to another higher location. We live in a single story house, not a two-story.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:17 AM

1. Usually replacing an internal WiFi on a laptop is cost prohibitive.

2. Just make sure the adapter you buy is rated for both.

3. Not sure about the Windows 10 issue, but it has caused many. Try looking at the HP site and see if they have a Win 10 driver for your specific model. (I've had t do that with my Lenovo.)

4. Don't mess with an 8 year old modem/router. Modems are currently at DOCSIS 3. You older one is probably a DOCSIS 1. Given that Comcast is probably charging you a monthly rental of $10-15, it pays for itself quickly. (As a side note, Comcast isn't thrilled with the idea of you not paying them rent and may drag their feet helping you get the modem initially installed.)

Something like this should serve you well and is fairly easy for a non-techie to setup: https://smile.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFb...m+router+combo

5. Just imagine all the things blocking signal at that level. Try WiFi analyzer before and after with modem/router placement. Use this link for advice: https://www.wired.com/2016/03/put-ro...ze-home-wi-fi/

Good luck!

EDIT TO ADD: Does your HP have USB 3.0? Usually indicated by a USB port with blue.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:09 AM

Yes, 2 USB 3.0 ports, 1 2.0 port.

Thanks for all the info!

Old 09-10-2016, 09:20 AM

Spend the extra money and get a USB 3.0 WiFi adapter. It'll give you faster throughput.

You are welcome.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:10 PM

3,595 posts, read 4,375,135 times
I'd buy a new wifi router, which you would want anyway. Right now Comcast can see inside your home network.

Once you have that installed see if you're still having wifi issues with the laptop. If so, then look at a USB adapter.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:18 PM

I disagree. If you only buy the router, you'll still have to rent the modem/router combo from Comcast. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:41 PM

3,595 posts, read 4,375,135 times
I don't disagree with buying your own modem. If you subscribe to voice then you must use their modem. I've never been a fan of combining hardware types. Get a modem to do a modems job well, and buy a router that does it's job well. The modem rental is a function of rental fees vs radio capabilities.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com

This site has been a favorite of mine for stats. I scan my area and place my signals on channels not being used by the neighbors. You want to keep at least one channel between your radio and another if possible.

Last edited by IsNull; 09-10-2016 at 11:00 PM..

Old 09-11-2016, 06:46 AM

For many years I was of the same mind of using a specific device for a specific issue. Those Arris combos work well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area