Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 11:23 AM

22 posts, read 88,699 times

Advertisements

Which are the nicest condo communities in the $350-600k price range?

My parents are moving to the area soon and are looking for condos that have a nice, quaint downtown feel. They like Daniel Island, so anything similar to that would be great. They would love waterfront, but I don't think they're going to find that in this price range. Dad hates bugs, so nothing on a marsh.

Any ideas which condo communities are the nicest? I've called two realtors and haven't gotten a call back from either!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 12:27 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,019,459 times
That depends on what they're looking for. There are some great condo complexes that have been built in recent years (or are still in progress), i.e. Albemarle Point, Six Fifty Six Coleman, Royal Palms, Windermere, Bee Street Lofts, Wild Dunes, Shelmore Village, as well as a group of small complexes like the ones on George Street, etc.

Locations are in West Ashley, Downtown Charleston, Mount Pleasant, Isle of Palms, etc., and their offerings as far as amenities, vary.

Daniel Island does have a host of condos to choose from as well. You really can't go wrong on DI.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:26 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,486,616 times
I personally think that The Retreat on James Island has a nice quaint feeling. Although there are apartments neighboring us, we have a very nice clubhouse, pool, tennis courts, walking paths, ponds, fountains, etc. And the price tag is less - in the range of $220-$260. The beach is also close by and it's close to downtown shopping.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 10,119 times
Default Condominium Conundrum

If you like Daniel Island, I would agree that it offers a good small town feel. One can walk to the waterfront or the local cafe or stores from your condo. There are lots of them available at all price ranges, so I am sure they could find something easily there. Most of the other condos mentioned might not work so well for a retired couple with the exception of Albemarle, if they want to be closer to downtown Charleston. I am surprised that the Realtors that you called did not return your call, and I wonder where you found their names. Some Realtors who are unfamiliar with the condo market are reluctant to engage in a discussion of the differences in the buildings, as they really don't understand the condo communities that well. Google the name of the condo complex you are interested in, along with the words 'luxury condo', and you should find several agents' websites who specialize in condos of the price range you need. Hope this helps.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:17 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Well if you want more mature landscaping, more character, close to downtown and even closer to great shopping and restaurants and the ICW, I think you'd like Northern James Island off of Maybank Highway near Folly Road and I know there is going to be an Open House of 4 different townhouse condos on Sunday the 24th from 3-5. Units numbers 9, 14, 30, and 34 are all for sale at WAPPOO CREEK PLACE. They are priced in the $400k range and above and they all have use of a swimming pool and the place is really nicely landscaped. Each unit has a gated front court yard with garden as well as a garage and the units are at least 2000 square feet. Each unit also has either a nice private back deck or patio. Some of the units( although I'm not sure if any of the ones for sale do) have gorgeous panoramic views of the ICW and also private deep water docks that go with their units! The rooms are huge and the kitchens are big and they all have some sort of a Sun Room in addition to a big kitchen, dining room and living room with fireplace. They also have HUGE walk-in closets and some have ENORMOUS masterbathroom suites with big walk-in closets off of huge dressing areas/vanity- make-up rooms with tons of counter space - more than most kitchens even have-- with double sinks -- of course-- with plenty of drawers for storage under-neath-- with nice tiled baths with separate showers and toilet off of that. The complex was built in the 80's but some units have been updated since then.
They kind of have an understated contemporary architechture from the outside, but inside they are roomy and have a nice layout. The one I'm in has
a second floor laundry room. If this is your price range, you might want to check it out.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:03 AM

899 posts, read 3,491,595 times
Hopefully you've gotten the call back by now.
I understand why they like Daniel Island so much. It's tough to find a condo within an area with a quaint feel. Most of the condos listed here have a 'community feel' about them, but lack the small town experience.

It depends on the size of the home they are looking for. Downtown Charleston has some areas that may give them what they want, but it will be small.

I think I would stay with Daniel Island, perhaps Barfield Park or Pierce Park. There are a number of end units currently on the market that have more of a 'home' feel as opposed to an industrial look.
jim

Old 02-24-2008, 11:54 AM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Well if you want more mature landscaping, more character, close to downtown and even closer to great shopping and restaurants and the ICW, I think you'd like Northern James Island off of Maybank Highway near Folly Road and I know there is going to be an Open House of 4 different townhouse condos on Sunday the 24th from 3-5. Units numbers 9, 14, 30, and 34 are all for sale at WAPPOO CREEK PLACE. They are priced in the $400k range and above and they all have use of a swimming pool and the place is really nicely landscaped. Each unit has a gated front court yard with garden as well as a garage and the units are at least 2000 square feet. Each unit also has either a nice private back deck or patio. Some of the units( although I'm not sure if any of the ones for sale do) have gorgeous panoramic views of the ICW and also private deep water docks that go with their units! The rooms are huge and the kitchens are big and they all have some sort of a Sun Room in addition to a big kitchen, dining room and living room with fireplace. They also have HUGE walk-in closets and some have ENORMOUS masterbathroom suites with big walk-in closets off of huge dressing areas/vanity- make-up rooms with tons of counter space - more than most kitchens even have-- with double sinks -- of course-- with plenty of drawers for storage under-neath-- with nice tiled baths with separate showers and toilet off of that. The complex was built in the 80's but some units have been updated since then.
They kind of have an understated contemporary architechture from the outside, but inside they are roomy and have a nice layout. The one I'm in has
a second floor laundry room. If this is your price range, you might want to check it out.
I agree with Emily...Wappoo Creek Place is very nice and private, with beautiful landscaping and views of the ICW, boat docks, walking distance to Charleston Crab House and shopping and more restaurants across Maybank Hwy. These condos are defiinitely worth checking out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area