Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 05:36 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,870 times

Advertisements

Thanks Tennessee Fan.

Great idea! I would LOVE a helicopter ride! I might be going up alone though, lol. Hubby would be petrified. But it's MY birthday, right?

Yeah, thinking it's best to just stick around locally and do something we have been talking about doing and haven't done yet and have a nice lunch downtown. My birthday being a Saturday, we could take the water taxi over to downtown from MP and check out the Farmer's Market if that's worth it - haven't done that yet.

Also have not been to Patriot's Point, the aquarium, Boone Hall, or Magnolia Plantation. What gets the vote of best local attraction? Are Boone Hall and Magnolia best seen at Christmas?

I've added Hominy to the restaurant list to check out. Any other good lunch spots downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 06:54 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,208,246 times
I still think James Island County Park is the best Christmas activity.

Have you been to Middleton Plantation? The house is gone but the grounds are spectacular and it has a restaurants. I'd call to make sure its open off-season but it lets you hit two birds with one stone.

FWIW- Pawleys traffic is really only bad at Rush hours on weekdays along 17 and obviously onto/off of beach on major holidays. I've always liked that area. Downtown Georgetown is also a decent afternoon stroll but probably best saved for a festival/event.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:25 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,683,726 times
I second James Island for Christmas. I'd suggest the plantations are best in the spring. Especially Magnolia.

The Farmer's Market should be experienced once. Your personal preferences will determine whether you like it.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:20 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,982 times
Edisto is for the nature lover. Bike riding through the state park is wonderful. Shells galore on the northern end of the beach.
Botany Bay's Boneyard Beach is a hike in from the parking lot but definitely worth it (esp at low tide). Edisto is not for the shopper or foodie, that's for sure. And the ride down there is usually stress less.
Pawley's is a town, a busy place. Many restaurants. I've only been on the beach through private access. Did find a lot of shells too.
As someone mentioned already, Brookgreen Gardens up there is a treasure. We've spent hours casually walking through including the "zoo." The gardens, sculpture & history are worth the drive a bit further north. Again, this is for those looking for a quiet, peaceful and absorbing time vs. a shopping & dining experience.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:26 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Thanks Tennessee Fan.

Great idea! I would LOVE a helicopter ride! I might be going up alone though, lol. Hubby would be petrified. But it's MY birthday, right?
I surprised my 2 sisters with the Patriot's Point helicopter ride on a Sunday morning (opens at 10 am). They thought we were just going to walk around. I bought the tickets unbeknownst to them and guided them over to the helicopter. What a hit is was! They are adrenaline junkies anyway -- both have skydived & zip-lined all over the Southeast.
You can choose how long the trip will be and pay accordingly: a Charleston harbor tour; out to Fort Sumter; or over to IOP & the beaches. It's first come, first up with a max of 3 guests & the pilot. Was wonderful just watching them go, too. Been meaning to go up with DH and need to find an open weekend to do so soon. Love the suggestion of buzzing over our house ... need to remember that one.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:42 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
Oh definitely head downtown to the Farmers Market. Fun to walk around. Maybe a tour of the Aiken Rhett House/Museum on Elizabeth Street.

I loved visiting Pawley's Island but it was packed on the beach -- hard to get parking. We enjoyed walking around the Hammock Shops

Old 10-03-2016, 04:03 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,870 times
Can anyone recommend a good (casual) restaurant walking distance from the farmer's market for lunch? Actually, doesn't have to be walking distance as we are taking the car - I think walking from the Waterfront to the farmer's market makes taking the water taxi not doable? Appears to be over a mile walk.

Magnolia's looked good (menu) but appears not to be casual (?). Just want something with say salad and salmon or a piece of fish and veggie. No heavy meals - fried foods, sauces, etc.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:40 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
Any restaurant in Charleston can be casual....especially at lunch.

If it's a nice day -- I love the courtyard at 82 Queen. It's open 11:30 until 3:00 for lunch/brunch. Hominy Grill?

Old 10-03-2016, 08:21 PM

859 posts, read 1,361,581 times
Magnolia's can be whatever you want it to be - I've seen folks arrive in shorts and flip flops, and then more dressed up folks at the next table. We love Magnolias. They also have free parking right beside the restaurant.

I believe there's prepared food right at the farmer's market, if you want to go that route. And if you cross Calhoun and walk down King, there are a ton of restaurants on King. Rue de John is a short walk from the farmer's market.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:18 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,423,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caili View Post
Magnolia's can be whatever you want it to be - I've seen folks arrive in shorts and flip flops, and then more dressed up folks at the next table. We love Magnolias. They also have free parking right beside the restaurant.

I believe there's prepared food right at the farmer's market, if you want to go that route. And if you cross Calhoun and walk down King, there are a ton of restaurants on King. Rue de John is a short walk from the farmer's market.
There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance of the market... and virtually all are casual for lunch especially on Saturday.
Knowing that youre from north of Boston ... and want a taste of home... Id suggest 167 Raw ... a branch of a family owned Nantucket based establishment...just off Calhoun on East Bay... gotta love the lobster rolls..lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area