Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 09:38 AM

15 posts, read 25,870 times

Advertisements

hi all,

I'm currently a finance manager for a 3 franchise store on LI, NY. Ive wanted to move down to SC for a long time, and think I will finally pull the trigger within the next year or so. Ive been to MB and Charleston and really like them both. The good part about the car business, is you can usually find employment pretty much anywhere as long as theres car dealerships. I know obviously there is dealerships in both areas. Does anyone know if the income level will be higher in a certain area or if it will be easier to find employment in either area in the car business. i know housing is a lot less in MB, but the economy is better in Charleston. I can afford about 600k in either area. Where is my best shot to be happy and raise a family. Currently its just me and my wife but we are going to start adding some lil ones soon. I've looked in grande dunes, carolina forest, barefoot in MB. I've been into Carolina Park in the charleston area. they all seem nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 09:46 AM

9,613 posts, read 7,003,349 times
Just judging by population alone, I'd assume Charleston would have a stronger car market.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:37 AM

1,230 posts, read 1,081,190 times
Why not spend a few days at both and talk to some dealerships.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:51 AM

I have spent time in both, didn't spend any time at dealers though. Maybe that's the next step. Was hoping maybe someone around here had some experience in the biz.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:59 AM

657 posts, read 743,633 times
I hano no actual knowledge on if this is true, but I'd have to think Charleston would be a much higher market. Myrtle Beach is more vacationers than people living. Charleston has a much larger year long population as well as a much higher base of people living here. I don't even think it would be close, but I've been wrong before.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:34 AM

I was kind of thinking along those same lines. But it could also be that MB has less dealers so less competition and the per store avg would be the same. Kind of why I was hoping to meet someone on here with some knowledge.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasertt View Post
I have spent time in both, didn't spend any time at dealers though. Maybe that's the next step. Was hoping maybe someone around here had some experience in the biz.
Ask to speak to the managers and let them know you are considering moving down here and would like to know what they think of the potential here for someone with your skills.......then list skills. You could even call them on the phone from where you are and do the same thing. By the 10th dealer you'll have a good idea.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:40 AM

True, that's a good option for
Next time I'm down.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasertt View Post
True, that's a good option for
Next time I'm down.
You could do it by phone too. Just be up front. "May I speak with the manager please? ......manager comes on.......Hi, I'm John Doe and very interested in moving to .....insert city..... and my background is in Car Sales. I'm wondering if you can briefly tell me how you feel the opportunities are in your area? I have ......insert experience here......."

Old 10-21-2016, 12:11 PM

I feel like that would work much better in person. I doubt someone will waste their time
In the phone talking to me about life down there lol. But it might be worth a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area