Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2016, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 506 times

Advertisements

Hi I am currently looking into relocating to Mt Pleasant from long Island NY. I have done research and have visited numerous times and loved it. I plan on making the move in the next yearand a half or so. We really liked Charleston National, Dunes West, park west and Planters point. I have 2 children 6 and 9. A couple of my questions are the following.
Am I allowed to install a swimming pool in the sub divisions that I listed above?
How hard is it to remove a tree on your property(ie a tree in your backyard)?
Taxes I know everybody is diffrent but what is ther avg property taxes for a $400k house and does everybody need flood insurance?
Also how did Mt Pleasant make out with the Hurricane? Where any subdivisions hit harder than any others?
Living on Long Island NY for my entire life (I never thought I would leave but its just getting to expensive to stay) but we were hit very hard with Hurricane Sandy a couple of years ago and I really don't want to go thru that again.

Finally my main question is since my children are small and into athletics what little league sports are there? ie Baseball,football,basketball,lacrosse ect and does anybody have links for web sites for them?
Also what fields do they use (school or a park) ?

Thanks for the time I can't wait to get on with the next chapter of my life with the wife and kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 01:21 PM

515 posts, read 484,711 times
Swimming pool instal would need to clear the HOA board, but it's probably doable depending on your lot etc.

Removing a tree may require a permit/permission from the town, but usually not a big deal.

Taxes on a 400K house would be 2K or less, and flood insurance would depend on where you live. Charleston National I would think is all in a flood zone.

MT P did great in the Hurricane, but if that's a concern, I'd say don't move here. It is only a matter of time before we get hit with a Cat 3 or greater. Hopefully not in our lifetime, but we are in a hurricane-prone area.

There is every sport you can imagine here, on school fields, public parks, etc. Google it, there's plenty of choice.

Mt Pleasant is a great place for a young family.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:35 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,634,063 times
Installing a pool will probably be ok but it depends on the HOA for the neighborhood. It's not hard to get the HOA restrictions for any given neighborhood.

Property taxes would be about $1608 on a $400k owner occupied house in Mt Pleasant. You can find a property tax calculator for Charleston County here:
Auditor's Office

Flood insurance is not required for properties that aren't in a flood zone. A good bit of Charleston National is actually not in a flood zone though the others you mentioned are mostly in a flood zone at this time. FEMA is currently redrawing the flood zone maps so that might be changed within a year or two. There is another thread on that topic here on the forum. The price for flood insurance can vary greatly and needs to be looked at on a property by property basis.

As for removing a tree, it depends on the tree. A small tree; no problem. A Pine will probably be easy to get permission for. A large Live Oak; Probably not unless it's diseased or posing a danger of some kind.

Hurricanes are a fact of life here though in the 33 or so years I've been here, the only one that has had any serious impact was Hugo in '89. Of course some properties are more vulnerable than others but I wouldn't say Mt Pleasant in general is any worse than any other close-to-the-coast area. Within subdivisions there might be individual streets that were impacted by flooding, or even individual houses, depending on water run-off. Whole neighborhoods at a time weren't flooded out.

For the kids sports... As Qtopplings said, there seems to be every sport represented around here and especially in Mt Pleasant. They would use school and public parks.

It's good that you have visited and know the area a bit. Come again with an eye towards living here if you can. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: