Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2016, 11:03 AM

10,119 posts, read 7,781,735 times

Advertisements

Question 1:

A huge tree feel between me and my neighbors yard. It was their responsibility to have removed. There was a huge tree trunk root that was left to be removed after the top part was chopped and hauled off.

The company hauled the root to the street leaving a huge hole where the root was. The hole is beside my driveway and I'm so afraid a FedEx truck or other truck coming down my driveway might fall in this hole.

Is it typical that a tree company, when removing a huge tree w/tree trunk and roots will also fill in the hole? Wouldn't that just be part of the tree removal service? They did toss in a few tree limbs in the hole but certainly didn't fill it.

Question 2:

Also if someone has a big oak tree in the yard, would it be a bad idea to put an ad on Craigslist for anyone wanting the wood for firewood, if they chop it and remove it, they can have the wood? I was told by insurance adjuster that some people do that or call big BBQ places to come get some wood if they need for their restaurant. Can you think of any cons especially for putting ad on Craigslist for those wanting firewood? I know a lot of landscapers during the winter sell firewood since they lack the yard care work.

Anyone know anyone that did something similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 07:17 PM

7,260 posts, read 4,634,376 times
1. I've seen tree services leave a hole, fill with dirt, or even mulch some of the branches into chips and fill the hole with them. I'm guessing its company by company on what they do or agreements made up front.

2. Not sure if your talking about a standing tree or one that has fallen. Not sure of the specific laws and insurance requirements but if a non-licensed / non-insured person(s)...something to that effect I think, cuts down your tree and damages property or becomes injured you may be liable. Choose carefully. I used to live on a busier street and put a sign out saying free wood and dragged bigger branches near the curb when one of my trees fell years ago...went fairly quickly. Supposedly was a good wood for cooking or burning or something, but it wasn't a big tree. Someone came, cut smaller and hauled off.

Last edited by Psychoma; 11-04-2016 at 07:34 PM..

Old 11-08-2016, 03:25 PM

10,119 posts, read 7,781,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoma View Post
1. I've seen tree services leave a hole, fill with dirt, or even mulch some of the branches into chips and fill the hole with them. I'm guessing its company by company on what they do or agreements made up front.

2. Not sure if your talking about a standing tree or one that has fallen. Not sure of the specific laws and insurance requirements but if a non-licensed / non-insured person(s)...something to that effect I think, cuts down your tree and damages property or becomes injured you may be liable. Choose carefully. I used to live on a busier street and put a sign out saying free wood and dragged bigger branches near the curb when one of my trees fell years ago...went fairly quickly. Supposedly was a good wood for cooking or burning or something, but it wasn't a big tree. Someone came, cut smaller and hauled off.
I guess I'll have to go to Lowes and buy a bunch of dirt to fill this huge hole right by my driveway or else someone one day will fall in. Today a big FedEx truck did make it down my driveway without falling in it but it makes me nervous.

The huge oak tree has fallen right beside my house....needs chopping. Thanks for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area