Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 1,751 times

Advertisements

Hello! I will be graduating in May with a Bachelors degree in Elementary Education and am hoping to move out of Nebraska. I have always had such a love for South Carolina and am extremely interested in moving down there with a friend this coming summer. I've heard amazing things about Dorchester County School District Two which is more in the Summerville area. My friend works from home so she will not be in the market for job. I was just wondering how public schools are viewed in the Charleston area and any tips/advice you have regarding all of this. My friend and I would be living in an apartment if we do choose to move down there. We have lived in Nebraska our whole life and we're kind of just expected to live there for our whole lives so a big move would be quite the change but so rewarding! We are planning a trip out there in March to visit the areas and so I can meet with schools. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 03:23 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
I know of two teachers that came to the Charleston area without teaching positions. One had several years of experience, the other had none. It took them both about one year to secure a position and both were hired in the Spring/Summer to start in the new school year.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:48 PM

727 posts, read 716,373 times
DD2 schools are viewed positively. Please do have a job of some kind secured before you come! Apartment rents are high. Last year when we were looking, a 2br in a decent complex started at $1000+ in the Summerville area. Since you will have a roommate, you might be ok with a full-time temporary job, but it depends on what else you like to do and how much it will cost. Traffic can be intense, so living close to work is important. The DD2 district covers a large area. It takes me 20 minutes to get to my son's school without traffic.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:51 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times
Summerville or Goose Creek would both be great, cheaper places to start out. North Charleston would put you in a more central location, but you have to be careful about where exactly you land.

One thing though, dont just apply to Dorchester 2. Make you sure you give at least Charleston and Berkeley County schools your attention.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:17 PM

If she wants to live in Summerville, there are Charleston and Berkeley County elementary schools that would be a reasonable commuting distance. Lambs, Ladson, Cane Bay and Sangaree come to mind, but there are probably more. I'm focused on DD2 because that's what I'm familiar with.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:05 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSJSAS View Post
If she wants to live in Summerville, there are Charleston and Berkeley County elementary schools that would be a reasonable commuting distance. Lambs, Ladson, Cane Bay and Sangaree come to mind, but there are probably more. I'm focused on DD2 because that's what I'm familiar with.
I didnt even read your post. I was giving my two cents since she may arrive without a job secured. Summerville is fine, both no problem with having options.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:01 PM

Yes, either would be fine! She mentioned DD2, so I figured she wanted Summerville. Ideally, she should get the teaching job first then look at apartments near that school.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:56 AM

216 posts, read 299,952 times
I don't fully understand the teacher hiring process but do know that in Charleston County it's almost like a teaching fair. With multiple interviews with staff to get to a point of being contingently chosen to be a teacher. I believe in Charleston County its a 3 year probationary period too.

Please be informed about the process for the three counties in Charleston before coming down and 'meeting' with schools.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:03 AM

2,001 posts, read 1,866,645 times
If you dont mind teaching troubled kids it would probably be easier to land a job in the heart of north charleston in charleston county. I heard only the real teachers can survive there.. alot of teachers only there for the money but if you love teaching then you would be good

Old 11-29-2016, 10:16 AM

17 posts, read 15,729 times
Just a heads up, my wife is a teacher in Charleston County and the teacher pay down here really sucks!!!!!!! Not a good thing since the cost of living is increasing. I'm not sure what it's like in Nebraska but is it going to be worth it?

Off topic, I live in Summerville and I work by the airport. I used to work closer to downtown right off King St. extension. Then, depending on the day, my drive time ranged from 30 min. - 1 hr. Now, driving pretty much half the distance, my drive time ranges from 30 - 50 min. Not a big difference. Traffic get's worse every year. Any time you drive east from the Summerville area towards Charleston you're guaranteed to hit traffic. Their's no getting around the traffic when their is pretty much "one way in and one way out". The infrastructure in this area is horrendous, i.e., I-526 merge onto the I-26W. You have THREE east and west bound traffic lanes from I-526 merging into ONE lane on I-26. Obviously, their's going to be a traffic jam there. One accident on I-26, rain, and even the sun rising will cause major delay's. Yes, I did say the sun. When you're driving I-26E right around Dorchester when the sun rises everyone likes to tap on their brakes.

Don't get me wrong, the area is beautiful and their is plenty of things to do and see. But, the traffic nightmare, to me, outweighs it all. I'm not telling you that you shouldn't move here because it's your decision and I don't know you personally. But, I would definitely take the teacher pay and traffic into high consideration into your decision. If you were in a different field that would pay a ton of money, I would say go for it. But, not for a first year teacher. You're probably better off working as a server or bartender at a restaurant downtown. Definitely make more money doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area