Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 07:13 AM

3,872 posts, read 4,620,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSJSAS View Post
I don't know how legit this is, but saw this on CL and it looks like what you want. You might look for more there, but as we all know....be careful.

https://charleston.craigslist.org/sub/5894712709.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1stevey View Post
Thank you so much for the information. I heard West Ashley was nice and close. I have contacted the poster and hope to hear back. If you see anything else please share. Have to keep options open just in case. I've been on Craig's List but somehow missed this one. Wonder how many others I've missed. I have seen some ads that were sort of shady but expected as much. This one seems nice. End of January is right around the corner. Thanks again.

Steve
That would be a good location. I have been working with a client who also works at Boeing and we've been looking at the traffic patterns for access to 526 at that point. You may be able to find a shared house situation in one of those neighborhoods a little cheaper but it's a tough time of year to be looking. Usually the ones on CL that are scams are the ones that sound too good to be true. NEVER send personal information to a CL stranger. In fact, I would use a disposable email and Google Voice number for any CL transaction until you know who you are dealing with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
Is it legal to pick the age and gender of people you are willing to rent to?
It is legal except that you can't discriminate against children or people with children. The categories that would determine illegal discrimination are:
  • Race or color
  • National origin
  • Religion
  • Sex
  • Familial status (families with children)
  • Disability
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 07:20 AM

8 posts, read 6,243 times
I doubt it, but as homeowners it's their precedence to bring in who they want. Can't fault them for that. Just trying to get a leg up down there for starters without costing me too much. Was looking at Extended Stay hotels but they are very pricy.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:29 AM

BSJSAS's thought of looking for an internal bulletin board for Boeing employees is a good one. Perhaps you could post a "situation wanted" notice up there. You could do the same for Craigslist though as I said, I wouldn't post your real phone #.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:58 AM

14,280 posts, read 14,823,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
BSJSAS's thought of looking for an internal bulletin board for Boeing employees is a good one. Perhaps you could post a "situation wanted" notice up there. You could do the same for Craigslist though as I said, I wouldn't post your real phone #.
If a phone number is an issue, get a cheap phone card mobile phone. I bought one recently. Tracfone at Kmart. $20 for the phone and $40 for a card that had 3 months, 360 minutes air time, 360 text messages. The phone had the deal of 3 times any card minutes. You could buy the phone anywhere. If you register it online, it will ask what ZIP code you will primarily be using it in so list the ZIP of Boeing and it will give you an 843 area code, local number. Once settled in, throw the phone away if you do not need it.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
If a phone number is an issue, get a cheap phone card mobile phone. I bought one recently. Tracfone at Kmart. $20 for the phone and $40 for a card that had 3 months, 360 minutes air time, 360 text messages. The phone had the deal of 3 times any card minutes. You could buy the phone anywhere. If you register it online, it will ask what ZIP code you will primarily be using it in so list the ZIP of Boeing and it will give you an 843 area code, local number. Once settled in, throw the phone away if you do not need it.
That would work, but Google voice is free and you can have calls forwarded directly to your cell phone. You just have to call/text back using the GV app or it will be your regular number that shows up. You can even set up a separate outgoing message on GV to reply to anyone calling that number.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:45 AM

Not really worried about my phone number too much. Usually won't answer if I don't know who the caller is or recognize the number. Without actually starting work I don't have access to any internal bulletin boards. I don't know anyone there who will help so I am blind for now. Only had a phone interview and never even seen the area.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:26 AM

727 posts, read 720,714 times
Found this on CD classifieds. It is almost 3 years old, but maybe the guy is still renting, or knows someone who is? Can't hurt to try to contact him.

"Great location built in may 2013 in the Buckshire development in Summerville SC. 15 minutes from Boeing.
Immenities: clean new neighborhood, safe area, use of washer n dryer, time warner cable internet, dish network satellite cable, pest control completed by home team pest spray, use of kitchen, perfect outdoor patio for smoking or hanging out with other friends or Boeing neighbors, hey could be a good carpool oportunity, who knows?

All of this can be yours, call or text Justin 801-471-9986 or email me at millersafety6@aol.com so we can make arrangements to meet and discuss you possibly being the first to rent. I have 2 rooms for rent and a frinished room over garage the is totally private and makes a great bedroom.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Hurry once word gets out, these availabilities will fill up quick."

Also, while looking around, I found a website called "roommates.com" that has some local listings. This one looked like something you might be interested in, but there were others: Roommate Wanted in Summerville, SC South Carolina (bassin518)

Obviously, I don't know any of these people! It is overwhelming when you don't know the area and have so little time to prepare, so I'll try to help. Still need to talk to my neighbor, but haven't seen him.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:06 AM

One more that looks promising. Found on Trulia. It's not as convenient as you might want, but not terribly far, either:

https://www.roomster.com/listings/4569982?r=HotPads

Last edited by BSJSAS; 12-19-2016 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: incorrect link

Old 12-19-2016, 11:44 AM

Thanks so much for keeping me in mind. I guess you've gone through this before yourself and know how frustrating the task of finding somewhere can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSJSAS View Post
Found this on CD classifieds. It is almost 3 years old, but maybe the guy is still renting, or knows someone who is? Can't hurt to try to contact him.

"Great location built in may 2013 in the Buckshire development in Summerville SC. 15 minutes from Boeing.
Immenities: clean new neighborhood, safe area, use of washer n dryer, time warner cable internet, dish network satellite cable, pest control completed by home team pest spray, use of kitchen, perfect outdoor patio for smoking or hanging out with other friends or Boeing neighbors, hey could be a good carpool oportunity, who knows?

All of this can be yours, call or text Justin 801-471-9986 or email me at millersafety6@aol.com so we can make arrangements to meet and discuss you possibly being the first to rent. I have 2 rooms for rent and a frinished room over garage the is totally private and makes a great bedroom.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Hurry once word gets out, these availabilities will fill up quick."

Also, while looking around, I found a website called "roommates.com" that has some local listings. This one looked like something you might be interested in, but there were others: Roommate Wanted in Summerville, SC South Carolina (bassin518)

Obviously, I don't know any of these people! It is overwhelming when you don't know the area and have so little time to prepare, so I'll try to help. Still need to talk to my neighbor, but haven't seen him.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:02 PM

We intended to buy but looked for rentals as an option if we couldn't find something before school started. We had the luxury of being able to visit multiple times, though.

I am just one of those people who love the internet and researching something...(anything, actually!) Also like to help where I can. You seem overwhelmed and in need of local help, so I'm happy to oblige.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area