Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 06:34 AM

58 posts, read 234,583 times

Advertisements

Good morning!

Anyone feel like listing some of the more upscale restaurants in or around downtown Charleston or Mt. Pleasant for me? Have any experiences to share about any of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 08:55 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,451,357 times
Slightly North of Broad or S.N.O.B. is supposed to be one of the best. I tried to go for brunch one day when I first moved here but it was closed. I guess the Penninsula Grill and the Charleston Grill are supposed to both be excellent as is the Oak Steak House. FIG, although I've only read reviews, sounds like it is very over rated. It evidently serves plain (frankly bland sounding) foods and charges an arm and a leg for it. High Cotton, I did go to and it was very nice. Magnolia's is owned by the same people and I have not been there yet. I made a point to go to Hymans during a visit before moving here for the seafood because it had gotten so many great reviews by national publications including the New York Times and I was not dissappointed. The she-crab soup was the best I've tasted yet. Restaurant Reviews, Hymans Seafood, Hymans Restaurant, Charleston SC, (http://www.hymanseafood.com/reviews.html - broken link)

I have not made it out to The Woodlands yet but I intend to because it is not only one of the best restaurants in Charleston but one of the best IN THE WORLD. Woodlands restaurant, 5 star, Five Diamond, Charleston sc fine dining (http://www.woodlandsinn.com/dining.cfm - broken link)

Also a former chef of the Woodlands now has his own restaurant on Daniel Island called Sienna, so that is probably on my list of places to check out.

The Ocean Room at the Sanctuary on Kiawah Island would be another "upscale" restaurant for sure. I had lunch at the Sanctuary and it was good but not out of this world,,, but for some it might be worth a trip... just so you can say you've been there. The atmosphere is outstanding however and the service was impeccable.

Blossom, Cypress (also both owned by the High Cotton Owners)
82 Queen St.
Carolinas
Cordavi

I'm sure I'm forgetting several.

There are a few that have gotten inconsistent reviews that I left out. There are many many more restaurants that are not so-called "up-scale" but are considered among the best restaurants and have excellent, even gourmet food and give you a GREAT VALUE for your money. (I didn't include any of these because you asked for "upscale".)That is one of the nice things about Charleston, you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get unforgettable food like you have to do in many other cities.

The Post and Courier has a good restaurant section
Restaurant search

That should get you started.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:53 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,997,342 times
Downtown Charleston, Peninsula Grill A+++

Peninsula Grill

Old 03-11-2008, 01:11 PM

528 posts, read 1,513,614 times
Woodlands is in Summerville, but is one of the best and offer you a very very elegant atmosphere.
Downtown I would suggest SNOBS and Magnolias. The others mentioned are also very very good.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:49 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,581,431 times
Good suggestions. I would add Fulton Five as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area