Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 04:21 PM

26 posts, read 27,508 times

Advertisements

You think that's bad, give Ashley River Rd. a try
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 04:23 PM

26 posts, read 27,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post

I will share a private message from a kind person that used to write back and forth about the traffic in the area....
Hi ******,

I've lived in Grand Oaks for over 7 years now and the traffic gets worse every year. I commute to Mount Pleasant to work every morning and it takes me a minimum of 25 minutes just to get on 526 and then I have to deal with the nightmare which is 526. I feel like it really doesn't matter where you live anymore in the TriCounty area. Traffic is a serious problem everywhere with infrastructure lagging way behind. I'm not hanging around much longer to see it get much worse. They've waited far too long to try and fix this problem and for me, the area has lost it's charm as it is far too crowded for the small geographical area that it is. Within the next year or two we will be relocating. Just trying to figure it all out right now, but it will probably be some small New England town as that's where my grandchildren will be. I'll just have to get away during the winter months somewhere warm to get out of the snow. I wish you the best of luck. I know you have family here and moving to John's Island works for you. For me there is no family here and putting up with the traffic just isn't worth it to me anymore. Take care.
I share this sentiment. I'm relocating to Colorado in February and will not miss any of this. Well, maybe the beach. But it'll be nice to be near the mountains for a change.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:56 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,247,886 times
Quote:
Thanks, but, that is out of the way. Coming from living down at the Bees Ferry and Glenn McConnell area, if you need to go to I-526 (everybody is driving there) you have to go down Glenn McConnell to head to North Charleston. Carolina Bay offers no help. I will add when school is out it's all good. School in , it is terrible from 7:00 am.

I will share a private message from a kind person that used to write back and forth about the traffic in the area....
Hi ******,

I feel like it really doesn't matter where you live anymore in the TriCounty area. Traffic is a serious problem everywhere with infrastructure lagging way behind. I'm not hanging around much longer to see it get much worse.
Inner Mt Pleasant. Inner West Ashley. Downtown. Daniel Island. All of these places have drive times to beaches/shopping/downtown Charleston in under 15 minutes at almost any time of day (getting on/off DI can be tricky at rush hour).

My point? Location matters, and you get what you pay for.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:46 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,442,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
Inner Mt Pleasant. Inner West Ashley. Downtown. Daniel Island. All of these places have drive times to beaches/shopping/downtown Charleston in under 15 minutes at almost any time of day (getting on/off DI can be tricky at rush hour).

My point? Location matters, and you get what you pay for.
Not everybody has all the money and resources to just move to Mt. Pleasant, Avondale, or Downtown. Most people in Charleston do not live in the areas you mentioned because they can't afford too.
You left out James/East Johns Island too.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:19 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,953,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
Wonder if they could build a bridge over the river connecting Bees Ferry to Dorchester. Would probably relieve much of Glenn McConnell and 526 during the morning commutes.
I believe Mayor T-burg was proposing a widening of Ashley River Road all the way up to Bacons Bridge Road on the West Ashley side. While that would eliminate a lot of the McConnell /Bees Ferry traffic (and perhaps even help the Dorch Road situation).......it would change the entire look and feel of the Ashley River corridor.

Let's face it -- Until Elon Musk unveils his Tesla Flying Car, this entire area is a traffic jam for 4 hours a day.

Last edited by FiveLoaves; 11-21-2017 at 07:28 AM..

Old 11-21-2017, 07:24 AM

3,840 posts, read 3,074,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
I believe Mayor T-burg was proposing a widening of Ashley River Road all the way up to Bacons Bridge Road on the West Ashley side. While that would eliminate a lot of the McConnell /Bees Ferry traffic (and perhaps even help the Dorch Road situation).......it would change the entire look and feel of the Ashley River corridor.

Let's face reality -- Until Elon Musk unveils his Tesla Flying Car, this whole area is a traffic nightmare.

I don't believe there is a proposal to widen Ashley River Rd. There is discussion to extend Glenn McConnell and have it parallel Ashley River Rd up to the Bacon Bridge Rd area. It will be years and years before this happens though.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:26 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,247,886 times
Quote:
Not everybody has all the money and resources to just move to Mt. Pleasant, Avondale, or Downtown. Most people in Charleston do not live in the areas you mentioned because they can't afford too.
You left out James/East Johns Island too.
Yes. Obviously not everyone can afford to live in the places I listed. I wasn't suggesting that. I was just pointing out that, contrary to your friend's statement, there are several locations in Charleston where traffic is not a nightmare.

It was definitely not an accident that I didn't list Johns island. Choose your poison: bridge traffic or Main Rd/17? Um, no. Just... no.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:32 AM

It appears on the project list for Glenn McConnell to be widened, just do not know when.....

Featured Projects

Projects Under Construction

View PDF

County Transportation Committee

Visit site

Funding Sources

View Funding Info

• Featured Projects
  • Projects Under Construction
  • County Transportation Committee
  • Funding Sources
Traffic Alerts

11/03/2017Traffic Alert: Nighttime Lane Closures for Phase 2 of the Maybank Highway Improvements Project10/20/2017Traffic Alert: Lane Closures for Phase 2 of the Maybank Highway Improvements Project10/12/2017Traffic Alert: Nighttime Paving and Lane Closures for the Glenn McConnell Parkway Turn Lane Project at Bees Ferry Road 10/02/2017Traffic Alert: Temporary Nighttime Detour for the Folly Road at Camp Road Intersection Improvements Project09/29/2017Charleston County Hosts Public Meeting on Palmetto Commerce Interchange Project
View All Traffic Alerts

[CENTER] APWA Accredited Agency

The purpose of the accreditation program is to provide a means of formally verifying and recognizing public works agencies for compliance with the recommended practices set forth in the Public Works Management Practices Manual. It is a voluntary, self-motivated approach to objectively evaluate, verify, and recognize compliance with the recommended management practices.
[/CENTER]

Featured Projects

Airport Connector Road

The Project will provide a new direct access road to Charleston International Airport and a new connection from Dorchester Road to Montague Avenue near the Mark Clark Expressway (I-526).
View Info

For more information contact us

Dorchester Road Widening, Michaux Parkway to the County Line

Widening of Dorchester Road from four-to-six lanes between Michaux Parkway and the County Line

Folly at Camp Road Intersection Improvements

Central Park Road and Riverland Drive, Fort Johnson at Camp Road, Fort Johnson at Secessionville Road, Folly Road Sidewalk Infill and Connection of Bike Lane.
View Info

Glenn McConnell Parkway Widening

Widening of Glenn McConnell Parkway from four-to-six lanes between Bees Ferry Road and Magwood Drive

Highway 41 Corridor Improvements

Widening Highway 41 from US 17 to Wando Bridge including intersection improvements at US 17.
View Info

James Island Intersection and Bike/Pedestrian Improvements

Camp Road Corridor, Fort Johnson at Camp Road, Fort Johnson at Seccessionville Road, Folly Road Sidewalk Infill and Connection of Bike Lane
View Info

Maybank Highway Improvements

Continuing the two lanes onto Johns Island from the bridge over the Stono River to River Road and extending the additional westbound lane to the existing right turn lane on River Road.
View Info

Northside Drive Re-alignment at Ashley Phosphate

Relocate Northside Drive to intersect with Ashley Phosphate Road across from Spa Road

Palmetto Commerce Interchange

The Palmetto Commerce Interchange project is being designed to reduce travel times and improve access options, increase traffic mobility in the I-26/Ashley Phosphate Road area and provide more efficient commute options.
View Info

Palmetto Commerce Parkway Phase 3

The PCP3 Project will provide the last segment in a new connector parkway from Ladson Road to Aviation Ave near I-26, and the Joint Base Charleston.
View Info

Savannah Highway Capacity and Intersection Improvements

Intersection Improvements along Savannah Highway at Wappoo Road, Magnolia Road, Orleans Road, Dupont Road, Savage Road, Playground Road, Markfield Road, Ashley Town Center Drive, Sam Rittenberg, Skylark, and White Oak Drive.

Savannah Highway / Ashley River Bridges / Crosstown Congestion Management Study

Congestion Management Study of West Ashley Connection to the Downtown Peninsula

US 17 at Main Road Intersection and Main Road Widening, Bees Ferry to Betsy Kerrison

Intersection improvements at US 17 / Main Road and improvements to Main Road from Bees Ferry Road to Betsy Kerrison Parkway
View Info

US 78 Improvements

US 78 from US 52 to I-26 including the intersection with Ladson Road

Located

Old 11-21-2017, 07:38 AM

3,840 posts, read 3,074,884 times
^^^^
Completing all those projects are several 1/2 cent tax increases away.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:45 AM

My friend Zuman, some are already under construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area