Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2018, 04:40 PM

2 posts, read 1,404 times

Advertisements

I know, I know, yet another "woe is me, I'm moving and it's hard" post. I apologize in advance! Anyway, to sum up: my family is from Charleston and has lived there for many generations, and now I'm finally in a position to move back and settle down there long term, and I couldn't be happier. Like a lot of Charleston Jews, most of my family members now live in West Ashley, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's where I end up buying (unless I win the lottery and can live out my dream of buying my great-great grandpa's house downtown, which went from "house affordable to the average Joe" to "house for millionaires" in recent years, haha). But for now, what I need is to rent a place, and need to do it within the next month before I move. I am just having zero luck, and wondering if anyone can either a) point me in the right direction, or b) tell me if I need to do something different in my housing search or be less picky about some particular thing.

1. Budget - Prefer to stay under $2k/mo if at all possible, prefer a 2br place but 1br would be all right too. A studio wouldn't work due to having a toddler. If renting an apartment, really prefer one that's very new. For houses, totally open, including very old historic homes (probably out due to budget, I know).
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Renting for now, so open to various options.
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) Work remotely, so not concerned about commuting, but don't want to be incredibly far from the city, and need relatively easy access to either Mt. P or West Ashley for preschool/daycare reasons.
4. Children(public school vs. private) One child, age 2. Not worried about schools now because I hope to buy a house before kindergarten is an issue.
5. Suburban, Coastal or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of them together (or even Rural) Absolutely want to be near the city. Mostly considering Mt. P, West Ashley, or possibly downtown.
6. Amenities preferred or must-haves Here's where I'm maybe too picky. What I want/need:

* Absolutely require some kind of reserved/private parking immediately adjacent to/connected to my unit, whether that means a private garage or a driveway. Probably sounds totally weird to have this as a dealbreaker, but after having spent years in a place where it was a nerve-wracking guessing game as to whether I'd ever be able to repark again after getting groceries, I'm over it, especially with a toddler. Although I don't commute, I have to take her to preschool/daycare and as a single mom with a demanding job, just don't have time to guess about if I'll have to park 10 blocks away or not be able to get my car out when someone parallel parks me in. I currently live in a carriage-style apartment, and I really like that setup. But I'm finding nothing along those lines in the Charleston area.

* I have 1 dog. He's a small breed, super old, fully housetrained, and has more in common with a couch throw pillow than an actual animal. Nevertheless, he is technically a dog, which seems to bar me from a lot of housing.

* Whatever the housing situation, I really, really need direct access to the outside. Whether this means an apartment on the ground floor with a door that directly opens outside, or a house, it's fine...but I just can't be in a situation where I need to wrangle a toddler and a dog who sometimes needs to be carried down a hallway, then stand around waiting for an elevator, etc.

* Walkable neighborhood: I don't care if I can necessarily walk *to* anything in particular, but I need a neighborhood/specific location where there are sidewalks and it is safe and possible to at least walk around the neighborhood itself.

* Wildcard problem: I need to rent from afar. I am hoping to head down to Chas before March 1 but do not have time or the childcare situation to take a trip first. That's caused a problem trying to rent from private individuals, for whatever reason.

If anyone has any recommendations whatsoever-- specific apartment complexes, specific private rentals, anything I may not have considered-- I'm all ears!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 07:06 PM

973 posts, read 916,387 times
I rented from Springs at Essex farms in West Ashley for about a year and a half. It's a gated apartment complex with separate garages available to rent. Right off Glenn McConnell so it's near the highway and various other useful amenities. Safe area, lots of people walk themselves/their dogs around the community. Pet friendly. Check them out.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:55 PM

3,868 posts, read 4,607,521 times
Not sure how much the "wildcard problem" will affect things. I choose my tenants partially on intuition and for that I'd want to meet them first but would make an exception if I felt I could get a good feel for who they are without meeting in person.
I think there's a lot of inner West Ashley that would fit what you're looking for. Have you been checking Craigslist, Zillow, etc?
For sidewalks you'll probably have to stick with newer neighborhoods and there isn't much of that in inner West Ashley. I have a client who has a 2bdrm/1.5ba condo coming up. The small complex is right on the Greenway which is a miles long walking trail (used to be a rail bed). Not sure of that price but I know it would be under $1,500. I have a duplex that I'm renovating that is 2bdrm/1ba on each side and is one block from that same Greenway. I'll possibly have that ready by March 1st.

Last edited by Yac; 12-11-2020 at 01:05 AM..

Old 02-01-2018, 09:28 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,596,210 times
If you budge on the place having to be new, Wando East Townhouses seem to fit what you are looking for. The townhouses were built in the 80s and do need some upgrades, but there are 2 designated parking spots right in front of each unit, it is pet friendly, there aren't any sidewalks, but the streets are wide and perfect for walking. I see mother's walk their kids all the time around the block. The townhouses have fenced in yards and the fences are privacy fences. It is very convenient to Town Centre, downtown, and the beach.

I have lived here for 7 years with no problems at all. The only reason I am moving is because I just bought a townhouse right behind my unit. I just love this area, so I wanted to stay in the neighborhood.

If you do look at the townhouses, make sure it is Wando East Townhouses and not Wando East Townhomes. I think management is better at townhouses. The owner of all the townhouses actually lives in a unit, which to me tells someone they are good.

When I first rented here I did everything long distance. Someone on this board rode through the neighborhood for me to let me know what it was like. I mailed a deposit and picked up the keys when I moved to the area.

Contact Wando East Townhouses | Apartment Rentals | Mount Pleasant, SC

Old 02-02-2018, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 1,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Not sure how much the "wildcard problem" will affect things. I choose my tenants partially on intuition and for that I'd want to meet them first but would make an exception if I felt I could get a good feel for who they are without meeting in person.
I think there's a lot of inner West Ashley that would fit what you're looking for. Have you been checking Craigslist, Zillow, etc?
For sidewalks you'll probably have to stick with newer neighborhoods and there isn't much of that in inner West Ashley. I have a client who has a 2bdrm/1.5ba condo coming up. The small complex is right on the Greenway which is a miles long walking trail (used to be a rail bed). Not sure of that price but I know it would be under $1,500. I have a duplex that I'm renovating that is 2bdrm/1ba on each side and is one block from that same Greenway. I'll possibly have that ready by March 1st.

I would definitely be interested in hearing about the duplex in question! My grandma used to live in a duplex in that general area (on Windermere Blvd) and it was a great place.

Last edited by Yac; 12-11-2020 at 01:05 AM..

Old 02-03-2018, 04:53 AM

3,868 posts, read 4,607,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitrunmom View Post
I would definitely be interested in hearing about the duplex in question! My grandma used to live in a duplex in that general area (on Windermere Blvd) and it was a great place.
Windermere is a great area though Windermere Blvd itself is a pretty busy road these days. You might find something near to that area with your budget.

The duplex I'm working on is on Pinckney Park Drive and my client's condo is not far from it as well. That client also has a 3bdrm/2ba house on Browning that would be under $2k per month. I believe she has it listed on zillow for $1825. I'll message you more details so we can take the conversation off the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area