Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 09:08 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,942,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Because they are referring to formal education and this is an objective way to measure that.

Nobody said that. But that said, perhaps they should have factored in the percentage of high school graduates and those with 2-year degrees as well.
I don’t think education rankings of any kind makes a state better or worse to live in. If I lived in New Hampshire, I could care less the garbage truck driver has a PhD in physics.
Most of these statistics are far more valuable at the local level than a state one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 09:10 AM

37,879 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I don’t think education rankings of any kind makes a state better or worse to live in. If I lived in New Hampshire, I could care less the garbage truck driver has a PhD in physics.
Most of these statistics are far more valuable at the local level than a state one.
But in the aggregate, they make the state better overall.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Coastal NC and VA are not contributing to their rankings. Coastal NC is about as backwoods as it gets. What’s pulling VA and NC up is DC and Charlotte. That being said, I’d rather pull my own fingernails out than live in the DC metro, I don’t care how it ranks.

Currently you’re living in one of the best ranking metros, so as far as rankings go, you’re wanting to move to lower ranked metro over a higher one. Rather than choosing to be miserable for the next 10 years, start appreciating what you do have.
And the Triangle (for NC).

Old 03-08-2018, 09:14 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,942,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But in the aggregate, they make the state better overall.
You can’t live in the entire state at the same time....unless you’re in Rhode Island.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:16 AM

486 posts, read 516,213 times
One thing that did not work in SC's favor is the use of the ACT as a rating. Every student in SC takes the ACT... this is not true in any other state. In other states only students going to colleges in certain areas of the county that prefer the ACT will take it.. often your top 25% students.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:58 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,242,950 times
Quote:
Yes, more people are moving to Iowa than Texas, California, and Florida....
You like making stuff up as you go along don't you?

Old 03-08-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
You can’t live in the entire state at the same time....unless you’re in Rhode Island.
I don't understand your rationale. You can't live in an entire metro at the same time either.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:25 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,444,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
One thing that did not work in SC's favor is the use of the ACT as a rating. Every student in SC takes the ACT... this is not true in any other state. In other states only students going to colleges in certain areas of the county that prefer the ACT will take it.. often your top 25% students.
I thought I was able to choose SAT or ACT. Maybe not, though I don't know if it made a huge difference. What also doesnt work in our favor is the state not taking education as serious as it should. Though I agree education is subjective. We need to fix how we fund our schools. The difference between Lexington 1 and 4 is embarrassing.

I think that list is hokey...Iowa #1? But that doesn't mean it's completely dishonest. We do have a lot of work to do, especially in the rural areas. They're what drag us down so low, but it's not necessarily their fault. Our economy is on fire, but our GDP per capita is still terrible, the 5th lowest, which is a shame being the 23rd largest state. Iowa actually does kick our butt in that metric.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:36 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,395,968 times
Education isn't a problem in SC..... the problem is there are many unmotivated students and many of them are anti-academics.

There have been thousands of people who graduated from SC high schools and were accepted into good colleges and then obtained careers in challenging professions like medicine, law, architecture, chemistry, engineering, etc.

This includes graduates of high schools outside of the larger metros.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:50 AM

657 posts, read 738,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Education isn't a problem in SC..... the problem is there are many unmotivated students and many of them are anti-academics.
Don't you dare bring up personal responsibility and parenting! Blame "education" as a whole!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area