Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 11:25 AM

37,893 posts, read 42,008,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
No, that’s why these click bait rankings are stupid.
You'd probably say the same about an education ranking by state coming from an official reputable source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 11:48 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,458,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Education isn't a problem in SC..... the problem is there are many unmotivated students and many of them are anti-academics.

There have been thousands of people who graduated from SC high schools and were accepted into good colleges and then obtained careers in challenging professions like medicine, law, architecture, chemistry, engineering, etc.

This includes graduates of high schools outside of the larger metros.
Yeah yeah whatever, you say this all the time. My first cousin went to a high school that's a C average at best. Next thing you know she's getting her master's in chemistry from Stanford. Everywhere has this kind of story, it has no bearing as a whole.

SC doesn't value education like it should. The statistics reflect our state culture and government. Trying to blame lazy students is a scapegoat. If that's the case then every kid in Massachusetts must be the hardest worker ever. Almost every list, SC ranks at or near the bottom, so that means the vast majority of our students are there just because and they don't care about learning.

You get what you are given. Kids in Lexington 1 get multiple languages to choose from, including Chinese, Russian, and even Arabic coming soon. Even elementary age kids get to take Chinese. Lexington 4 gets one choice and of course it's Spanish. Lexington 1 gets big fancy auditoriums for plays and presentations.

Lexington 4 is still using the stage in the cafeteria. Lexington 1 has Taj Mahal schools, Lexington 4 is still 1970s. Lexington 1 gets lacrosse, golf, tennis, swimming, and even bowling. Lexington 4 does not. Lexington 1 has an IB school.

I guess that's all the fault of Lexington 4 kids being lazy. Shame. They'd have tennis and Chinese if only they were more motivated. Hate to pick on Lexington, it's not just them. This problem is all over the state.

You pretty much call underprivileged and underfunded kids lazy and unwilling to learn, while calling kids who come from tax dollar suburbs who are blessed with more resources completely motivated and pro-academic. Yeah sure. SC has an education problem. I'm a proud native but I'm not going to say everything is fine when we routinely land at the bottom. If the fault is lazy students, then maybe something should be done to, idk, make them less lazy?

Quote:
I have family in Iowa. It’s an area surrounded by gravel roads, high unemployment, and low wages. But it’s great Des Moines is doing so well.
Okay...and that still doesn't change the fact that Iowa's gdp per cap is 22 and ours is 46, below even New Mexico. Everyone can find anecdotes.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:49 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,958,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
I don't think you are right. I love coastal NC and Coastal VA, coastal NC is a beautiful place Outer Banks , I would like to live there. Coastal Va. is bigger than Charleston, SC and has many more resources. I absolutely believe Tidewater, VA has more resources and revenue than Charleston, so how can that not contribute to the rankings?

I agree DC metro sucks, and would never live there. Northern Virginia and Southern coastal Virginia are really like to different states. Different people, culture, and even food is different.
Try finding a doctor in the OuterBanks. Or an airport. Or a highway that you can drive more than 40 mph on. My favorite neighborhood (Corolla) doesn’t even have roads at all. US 17 runs through some very derelict areas along the coast and the road itself isn’t in the best of shape.
I love it there, but it’s not the epitomy of the finest infrastructure.

Southeast VA is essentially a series of military bases and government installations. It’s not bad, but it’s not really growing much either.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You'd probably say the same about an education ranking by state coming from an official reputable source.
No, my problem is trying to quantify the unquantifiable, like trying to assign a number to how great living in some place might be. These are the same articles that try and claim everybody should retire in Minnesota.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Yeah yeah whatever, you say this all the time. My first cousin went to a high school that's a C average at best. Next thing you know she's getting her master's in chemistry from Stanford at 24 years old. Every place has this kind of story, it has no bearing as a whole.

SC doesn't value education like it should. The statistics reflect our state culture and our state government. Trying to blame lazy students is a scapegoat. If that's the case then every kid in Massachusetts must be the hardest worker ever. Almost every list, SC ranks at or near the bottom, so that means the vast majority of our students are there just because and they don't care about learning.

You get what you are given. Kids in Lexington 1 get multiple languages to choose from, including Chinese, Russian, and even Arabic coming soon. Even elementary age kids get to take Chinese. Lexington 4 gets one choice and of course it's Spanish. Lexington 1 gets big fancy auditoriums for plays and presentations.

Lexington 4 is still using the stage in the cafeteria. Lexington 4 has Taj Mahal schools, Lexington 4 is still 1970s. Lexington 1 gets lacrosse, golf, tennis, swimming, and even bowling. Lexington 4 does not. Lexington 1 has an IB school.

I guess that's all the fault of Lexington 4 kids being lazy. Shame. They'd have tennis and Chinese if only they were more motivated. Hate to pick on Lexington, it's not just them. This problem is all over the state.

You pretty much call underprivileged and underfunded kids lazy and unwilling to learn, while calling kids who come from tax dollar suburbs who are blessed with more resources completely motivated and pro-academic. Yeah sure. SC has an education problem. I'm a proud native but I'm not going to say everything is fine when we routinely land at the bottom. If the fault is lazy students, then maybe something should be done to, idk, make them less lazy?

Okay...and that still doesn't change the fact that Iowa's gdp per cap is 22 and ours is 46, below even New Mexico. Everyone can find anecdotes.
That hasn’t helped paved the other 60% of their roads though hasn’t it?

Old 03-08-2018, 12:05 PM

37,893 posts, read 42,008,814 times
Quote:
No, my problem is trying to quantify the unquantifiable, like trying to assign a number to how great living in some place might be. These are the same articles that try and claim everybody should retire in Minnesota.
I get what you're saying, but that doesn't mean that the metrics used in such studies should be dismissed outright.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:12 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,416,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Yeah yeah whatever, you say this all the time. My first cousin went to a high school that's a C average at best. Next thing you know she's getting her master's in chemistry from Stanford. Everywhere has this kind of story, it has no bearing as a whole.

SC doesn't value education like it should. The statistics reflect our state culture and government. Trying to blame lazy students is a scapegoat. If that's the case then every kid in Massachusetts must be the hardest worker ever. Almost every list, SC ranks at or near the bottom, so that means the vast majority of our students are there just because and they don't care about learning.

Lexington 4 is still using the stage in the cafeteria. Lexington 1 has Taj Mahal schools, Lexington 4 is still 1970s. Lexington 1 gets lacrosse, golf, tennis, swimming, and even bowling. Lexington 4 does not. Lexington 1 has an IB school.

It doesn't make any sense to say the schools in SC are bad if students from all of them have been accepted into good colleges and gone on to have careers in challenging professions. I understand this fact contradicts your narrative.

You are scapegoating the teachers and the SC education system and shifting the blame from bad students to them. It is easy to criticize but you have never been a teacher.

I attended school with lazy kids who in many cases were anti-academics. What I mean by anti-academic is they thought doing well in school is not cool. They would ridicule the good students as 'nerds'. There are also a lot of kids who are not good at learning things. That's not their fault and it is not the school's fault.

I should also point out that every state with a higher population has a higher number of failing students than SC simply because they have more people. I don't know how you can say states with a greater number of failing students are somehow superior to SC in education.

Every kid in Mass isn't doing well in school, and this despite your contention that Mass has better schools.

I've seen you beat up on SC schools numerous times on here, and at no point have you ever provided evidence that our schools do not hire qualified teachers. You indirectly are making the case that colleges are giving education credentials to unqualified people and/or our state is not hiring qualified teachers, which would be a huge scandal.

It doesn't help SC attract jobs to this state if SC residents trash our schools. If you compare our schools with schools in states by breaking out by demographics, the students have similar academic performance within those demographics. SC has a larger percentage of kids with poor parents than other states.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 03-08-2018 at 01:04 PM..

Old 03-08-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I get what you're saying, but that doesn't mean that the metrics used in such studies should be dismissed outright.
I think they’re easily abused and misinterpreted. That’s why you see some states throw money at the problem and can’t figure out why it’s not working.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:14 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,458,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
It doesn't make any sense to say the schools in SC are bad if students from all of them have been accepted into good colleges and gone on to have careers in challenging professions. [....]
Spoiler
Mmm no I've never been a teacher, but my mom is one of 19 years. My aunt is one, my girlfriend's mom is one, my first cousin is one, a few other of my cousins are teachers, a few of my great aunts are teachers, both of my relatives in Dallas are teachers, my former neighbor is one. I've been pretty much surrounded by teachers. They do the best they can and I highly regard teachers. To do what they do with that wage, it's amazing, so not sure what you're talking about.

I went to school with kids who you are calling lazy, but what I noticed is they were products of their environment. Bussed in from the other side of town, not given the same resources. I've noticed a similar pattern across the state. Your "nerd" trope is played out. We all were too cool for school, but still populated the honor roll. The kids I know that didn't care to learn, didn't care because people didn't care much about whether they learned or not.

Sure kids from Mount Pleasant and Bamberg can both end up going to a great college and becoming a surgeon. Obviously. But the fact of the matter is the Bamberg kids are given much less. They don't have the athletics, academic offerings, funding, buildings, or attention that the Mount Pleasant kids get. They don't produce a lofty tax base. They're not lazy kids, they've taken what they've been given.

On top of the multiple languages at Lexington 1, they have Arabic and Hindi coming soon. Lexington 4 is still stuck with Spanish as the only option. Why? Because Lexington 4 kids have no motivation to learn anything else? Did Lexington 1 students ask for Hindi because they value education and world culture so much, or is it an option being given to them?

I don't have to kiss the state's feet. We do a lot right, but we do a lot wrong, it is what it is. I've never said anything about the state's hiring practice so not idea what you're even talking about.

Look, I know how you tick. You think New York has more crime than East St Louis just because New York is larger so it would have "more criminals." You think just because Massachusetts has some bad students and SC has some good, that it equals out and educational rank is irrelevant. That makes no sense and you know it, but yeah whatever. If you don't like my opinion, sorry. Our funding system and culture towards education sucks and can be much better. Corridor of shame is not a myth.

I personally got a great public education, and it probably wouldn't have been that different in GA or NC, but I am only one person, and I was lucky to grow up in a great area, with a great tax base that provided a great amount of resources.

I'm not ignoring what's going on in most of the state nor I am just going to call those kids and their parents lazy just to make myself feel better. The brunt of the responsibility lies at the state house. Our education ranks are always near the bottom and needs to be addressed. I don't care that Johnny got an SC education but still ended up at Princeton, we can be better as a whole.

Also, if SC has a large percentage of poor...maybe something should be done about it, rather than calling them lazy. Idk.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:29 PM

615 posts, read 1,375,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyroundtree View Post
I stopped reading that list at Iowa #1
I have visited Iowa, and it is very flat, has terrible weather, and to me it would appear to be a boring and uninteresting place to live. How could such a state rank #1 when it does not offer the desirable characteristics of a place to live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area