Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 10:50 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,246,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Education isn't a problem in SC..... the problem is there are many unmotivated students and many of them are anti-academics.
You don't think that part of a well-rounded education system is to find ways to engage unmotivated students? I was a good example. I started highschool in a 4A school in NC. Didn't do well in that environment at all. Switched to a smaller school where teachers didn't ignore their students and I started to flourish.

Throwing your hands up in the air and blaming the kids is going to keep SC at the bottom of the rankings for education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 10:50 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,963,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
You like making stuff up as you go along don't you?
You apparently don’t have anything to add.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't understand your rationale. You can't live in an entire metro at the same time either.
No, that’s why these click bait rankings are stupid.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:52 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,246,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
You apparently don’t have anything to add.
As long as you keep making up statistics and answering questions nobody is asking, yeah, I'm done.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I thought I was able to choose SAT or ACT. Maybe not, though I don't know if it made a huge difference. What also doesnt work in our favor is the state not taking education as serious as it should. Though I agree education is subjective. We need to fix how we fund our schools. The difference between Lexington 1 and 4 is embarrassing.

I think that list is hokey...Iowa #1? But that doesn't mean it's completely dishonest. We do have a lot of work to do, especially in the rural areas. They're what drag us down so low, but it's not necessarily their fault. Our economy is on fire, but our GDP per capita is still terrible, the 5th lowest, which is a shame being the 23rd largest state. Iowa actually does kick our butt in that metric.
I have family in Iowa. It’s an area surrounded by gravel roads, high unemployment, and low wages. But it’s great Des Moines is doing so well.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
As long as you keep making up statistics and answering questions nobody is asking, yeah, I'm done.
You never adding anything in the first place.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Education isn't a problem in SC..... the problem is there are many unmotivated students and many of them are anti-academics.

There have been thousands of people who graduated from SC high schools and were accepted into good colleges and then obtained careers in challenging professions like medicine, law, architecture, chemistry, engineering, etc.

This includes graduates of high schools outside of the larger metros.
This has been my experience with rural areas pretty much anywhere I’ve seen. Most seem like they want to stick around their family and friends they grew up with and work at the local factory or mine. Not everybody wants to move to a big metro, work a white collar job, and join the rat race. I can see that being a motivation killer and I have no idea what policy would suddenly change that mindset, nor if that mindset is necessarily a bad thing in the first place.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:07 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,440,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Coastal NC and VA are not contributing to their rankings. Coastal NC is about as backwoods as it gets. What’s pulling VA and NC up is DC and Charlotte. That being said, I’d rather pull my own fingernails out than live in the DC metro, I don’t care how it ranks.

Currently you’re living in one of the best ranking metros, so as far as rankings go, you’re wanting to move to lower ranked metro over a higher one. Rather than choosing to be miserable for the next 10 years, start appreciating what you do have.
I don't think you are right. I love coastal NC and Coastal VA, coastal NC is a beautiful place Outer Banks , I would like to live there. Coastal Va. is bigger than Charleston, SC and has many more resources. I absolutely believe Tidewater, VA has more resources and revenue than Charleston, so how can that not contribute to the rankings?

I agree DC metro sucks, and would never live there. Northern Virginia and Southern coastal Virginia are really like to different states. Different people, culture, and even food is different.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:09 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,417,809 times
These rankings are always so subjective. One could have a fantastic quality of life in any state, or very much not, depending on a wide variety of factors and priorities.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:23 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,420,433 times
Quote:
You don't think that part of a well-rounded education system is to find ways to engage unmotivated students? I was a good example. I started highschool in a 4A school in NC. Didn't do well in that environment at all. Switched to a smaller school where teachers didn't ignore their students and I started to flourish.

Throwing your hands up in the air and blaming the kids is going to keep SC at the bottom of the rankings for education.
I and others support school vouchers so parents can send their kids to another school. That way if the parent thinks it is the school's fault their kid is struggling, they have options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area