Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 09:38 PM

48 posts, read 41,306 times

Advertisements

Also if anyone knows a good plumber and roofer? Been working with some in the past and they end up not that good like when they showed up for interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 09:35 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,947,205 times
There are a couple of Roofing outfits making the rounds in the Summerville neighborhoods. They are pitching the "Hail Damage" claim to Home Insurance companies. I'm not sure it's legit, but they are telling folks that Hail Damage is an Act of God and that Insurance companies won't raise your rates just for putting in a claim. I'd like to fact-check that statement....in my experience Insurers don't like to write big checks with no hope of recovering that money in just a few year's premium hikes.

They've done about 5 or 6 homes just on my short block.

Cost to Homeowner -- the deductible on your policy (usually about $1000)

Cost to Insurance Co -- typically $8K -- $10K for these 2-story roofs.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:17 PM

10,099 posts, read 7,767,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
There are a couple of Roofing outfits making the rounds in the Summerville neighborhoods. They are pitching the "Hail Damage" claim to Home Insurance companies. I'm not sure it's legit, but they are telling folks that Hail Damage is an Act of God and that Insurance companies won't raise your rates just for putting in a claim. I'd like to fact-check that statement....in my experience Insurers don't like to write big checks with no hope of recovering that money in just a few year's premium hikes.

They've done about 5 or 6 homes just on my short block.

Cost to Homeowner -- the deductible on your policy (usually about $1000)

Cost to Insurance Co -- typically $8K -- $10K for these 2-story roofs.
Back when I lived in the upstate, I had those roofers driving around in our neighborhood one day. They saw me working in the yard and said the same thing. I didn't use them but it got me thinking and figured what do I have to lose, so I called my then insurance company and they had an inspector come look at my roof to see if any hail damage. The guy didn't even walk on the roof but said there has been hail in the area so he approved my new roof and told me to expect the check in so many days. I really didn't remember the hail but there were a lot of people in neighborhood getting new roofs so maybe so.

It didn't cost me a thing. Insurance company covered the new roof completely. If that guy in truck hadn't stopped to talk to me, I would have never thought my insurance company would actually pay for a new one. Hail damage would have never crossed my mind but what the heck.

If I remember right the roofer told me he would only charge me what the insurance company paid me. So that way, I paid no deductible.

A friend was getting ready to get a new roof down here and I told them about my experience. They called their insurance company but their inspector wouldn't cover theirs...said no hail damage.

If you need a new roof, it doesn't hurt to see.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 03-30-2018 at 02:31 PM..

Old 03-30-2018, 02:21 PM

Ok, I need one last recommendation. There is some rotting wood on house trim that will need to be replaced/fixed before painting.

Any local (S'ville) carpenter recs?

Thanks again.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSJSAS View Post
That's crazy!

These recs came from a neighborhood FB page just recently:

Fresh Coat Painters
10070 Dorchester Rd Unit 51023 (1.78 mi)
Summerville, South Carolina 29485
(843) 631-2384

Peartree Renovations
8125 hwy 165 (10.51 mi)
Ravenel, South Carolina 29470
(843) 343-5808
Thanks. And yes, I thought that was a crazy estimate also. About 800+ was for supplies and the rest, over 11,000 was for labor.

But some of the trim had mold and they needed to glaze some windows and some other things so sounded like a lot of work so who knows. Maybe other quotes will be close. Yikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area