Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 09:53 AM

13 posts, read 12,619 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We are just starting out search for places for us to relocate from southern NJ. We've looked on the Gulf Coast of Florida in the Venice area, which is still a contender for us. However, we've heard a few people up here suggesting the outskirts of Charleston, SC. We are just looking to be in a more friendly (not snooty) area with a small, nice little house and yard with about 1/2 acre or so. We have son who would be entering high school, so safety and friendliness of the town is important to us. Our budget would be under $350,000. The town we live in now is safe and the schools are rated highly on "great schools" but honestly the quality of the people are just very rude and entitled. My mom was raised in Orangeburg, SC and we visited a few times when I was younger. People seem more welcoming in the south, but it's been a long time since we've visited. Our son is raised with manners and to be respectful and we are seeing the opposite in this area.

My question is, can anyone recommend a nice family community in the area that has nice churches-can be non-denominational, welcoming people and maybe not so much congestion around the Charleston area? We like the fact that there is a teaching hospital there (I am a nurse) and seems to have good schools-high schools and colleges in the area. We also like being close to the water but a little in the country. Any feedback would be great! Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 07:52 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,103,368 times
I'm not a local but have family in Charleston and looking at possibly relocating there. Your budget really isn't going to get you a SFH in Charleston, James Island, Mt Pleasant etc, definitely not on a half acre. John's Island could be an option, it's really pretty out there but doesn't seem like there's much in the way of employment, shopping, nightlife etc. I havn't spent a ton of time there but I would imagine people are pretty friendly and you could definitely get the land you want. Charleston area seems to have not great schools as a whole from what I hear, my mom substituted there for a couple years, florida probably isn't a ton better though.

As far as friendliness people in Charleston seemed friendly enouhg, my folks made some good friends down there they still go back to visit. That said it's not mayberry and as a whole didn't strike me as that much more friendly than Chicago. I imagine like most places that's more about which neighborhood you choose and if there's a community more so than saying an entire city or region is friendly.

One more thing about friendliness, even when my folks moved there years ago a few friends who were locals basically told my mom being from the north your going to have a little harder time landing jobs and things like that and from just reading these boards there's definitely a sentiment of we don't want any more transplants. Not to say your neighbors will spit on you and throw eggs at your house but the city is getting full, the character is changing, people are being priced out and traffic is bad so people kinda look at you as the reason hence alot of these CD Charleston posters telling everyone to stay in ohio or go back to ohio, whether your from ohio or not lol

If your considering charleston area probably johns island or further north, there's a bunch of threads discussing hannahan and goose creek as well as places further north

Old 07-10-2018, 08:38 PM

973 posts, read 915,892 times
You'll find friendly people and rude people wherever you go, including Charleston. I'd say, in general, the people here are going to be more friendly than the ones in NJ, at least superficially. Part of that can be attributed to Southern culture and its way of living. As the speed of life slows down and the atmosphere relaxes, people tend to calm down and not rush through life, which helps in the friendliness factor.

However, like doodle mentioned, I haven't noticed a significant amount of friendliness in people here vs in other cities I've lived in, including Chicago. If you treat people nicely, you usually get treated nicely as well. That being said, customer service here is abysmal so the mantra of you get treated by how you treat others doesn't always apply...

350k for a half acre and access to good schools might be stretching it. You may have to live with just 2 of those 3 requirements. Have you considered outer West Ashley? Lots of realtors on this board and they can help.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:50 PM

624 posts, read 693,122 times
Recommendations:

1.) Visit here a lot and spend time driving around.

2.) Rent for the first year. $24,000 in rent will save you from making a $350,000 mistake

3.) See #1 and #2

Old 07-11-2018, 03:50 AM

3,865 posts, read 4,602,405 times
I'd say James Island would be your best bet. If you can compromise on the half acre, it shouldn't be hard to find. You didn't mention much about what you're looking for in the way of a house but at that price it would be an older house though it could be upgraded pretty nicely. I actually have one about to come on the market that will be priced at $350k and has 4 bdrms, 3 baths and a nice in-ground saltwater pool. It's only a quarter acre though and suburban, not in the "country". It will be hard to find that and a highly rated school at the same time.

As for friendliness, people are people and you can always find a jerk in the crowd, but I do have clients who remark on how friendly people are here. I definitely think the overall vibe is friendlier than what you're probably used to in NJ. Charleston was voted "most polite" city in the US more than once if that means anything.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:52 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
You'll find friendly people and rude people wherever you go, including Charleston. I'd say, in general, the people here are going to be more friendly than the ones in NJ, at least superficially. Part of that can be attributed to Southern culture and its way of living. As the speed of life slows down and the atmosphere relaxes, people tend to calm down and not rush through life, which helps in the friendliness factor.

However, like doodle mentioned, I haven't noticed a significant amount of friendliness in people here vs in other cities I've lived in, including Chicago. If you treat people nicely, you usually get treated nicely as well. That being said, customer service here is abysmal so the mantra of you get treated by how you treat others doesn't always apply...

350k for a half acre and access to good schools might be stretching it. You may have to live with just 2 of those 3 requirements. Have you considered outer West Ashley? Lots of realtors on this board and they can help.
I think customer service here is pretty top notch, with the exception of any fast food aside from Chick-Fil-A, service departments at car dealerships, Walmart...the usual suspects.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:22 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,103,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I think customer service here is pretty top notch, with the exception of any fast food aside from Chick-Fil-A, service departments at car dealerships, Walmart...the usual suspects.
I think people as a whole are incredibly friendly and nice so that is great in terms of customer service, things do seem to move a bit slower though than up north, not complaining heck that's why a lot of people move down here but it is worth noting

Old 07-24-2018, 02:33 AM

84 posts, read 84,905 times
It may be necessary to compromise on where you live in order to get most of what you're looking for in a new hometown. Have a look at smaller towns within a half-hour of Charleston, SC. If good schools, pleasant environment, and a place to work are at the top of your list, consider looking at this, Cane Bay Plantation Neighborhoods: Cane Bay Plantation | Neighborhoods.

Cane Bay High School by going to this site: https://www.greatschools.org/south-c...y-High-School/. The school has earned a score of seven out of 10.

There is a new hospital now being built within a several minutes drive from this area. While it won't be ready for this next year, there are other medical facilities not too far away.

The homes in The Lakes of Cane Bay are built by several different builders and price points are within your means. As a previous poster stated, you may need to settle for less land in order to gain most of what is on your list for a desirable relocation. Some of the homes are directly on the vast 300-acres lake, but if simply being nearby will do, then the price will be less.

Traffic in this area depends upon where you are going in rush hours. If you're headed into Charleston or Summerville's downtown area, yes there will be traffic. If you will be driving closer in, it's not too bad. There is a new exit off of 526 that bypasses the more crowded roads.

The people we've encountered (we're building a home here) are pleasant. Our good manners usually beget the same. It's easy to understand that while new people moving into the area are good for the economy, it changes the natives' neighborhoods and lives. Adjusting to the new 'now' requires adaptability. Not everyone has it nor, will accept a change in the status quo.

I hope this perspective helps you in making a decision. Please post for us your thoughts and where you eventually decide to put down new roots.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:27 AM

10 posts, read 7,571 times
Although it is a bit of a drive to MUSC, the town of Summerville has much charm that you may find quite alluring. Nestled among historic oak trees and azalea bushes, Summerville is a quaint little town with a good combination of history and progression. Summerville has many wonderful housing communities that would fit into your budget nicely. Although there are many new construction developments, there are plenty of distinguished neighborhood that would offer you larger land lots then what you might find closer to the coast. Summerville is close to another teaching hospital, Trident Regional Medical Center. So you would not have to drive the the peninsula. Although it can get congested, it is much less congested than areas closer to the coast. It is about 30 minutes outside of Charleston and a 30 to 40 minute drive to the beaches.

As far as the people here, we are a very friend community. Although as Local Hero said, you can always find a jerk in the crowd. However, southern hospitality ranks much higher than the occasional negative perspective you may come across.

Best to you and shout out if you need any additional data on Charleston and the surrounding communities.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:58 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,357,350 times
Schools can be hit or miss. There are some real poor ones, and yet we also have some of the best public schools in the nation here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area