Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 01:16 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,959,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconisgood View Post
Unless your ancestors were one of the local native tribes before the Europeans got here....You might be a transplant too!
I am a transplant. In fact, I’ve never been a “local” my entire life anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 01:29 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,959,738 times
Quote:
There simply aren't enough "local folks" with the skills to fill all the high-tech jobs that Charleston has to offer. Boeing, Benz and Volvo among other companies find it hard to hire enough highly educated/skilled workers. It took me 3 months to find a good Electronics Tech that wanted less than 60k/year to start. A lot of these jobs don't require a College Degree, just good technical skills like you'd find in the military or from a Vo-Tech program in electrical work.
Boeing is full of locals. There are a lot that moved from out of state as well but that was also because the aerospace industry was in shambles when Boeing started here and the 787 plant was the only factory mass hiring anywhere in the country at the time.
Benz and Volvo are having trouble because unemployment is down to 2% and there’s nobody left. All the good, skilled workers are spoken for. The last 2 % are all the ones with issues who nobody else wanted.
I can barely find someone to fix anything at my house that doesn’t have a 3 week backlog or won’t do the job at all if it’s too small.
There is a worker shortage, but’s not a problem with primary education, it’s the downside to a good economy. Back when I first moved here, the economy sucked but was slowly recovering, unemployment was high and you could get anybody to do anything and do it well. Now the shoe is on the other foot.

Last edited by Ziggy100; 07-03-2018 at 01:38 AM..

Old 07-03-2018, 12:22 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,766,189 times
Quote:
There simply aren't enough "local folks" with the skills to fill all the high-tech jobs that Charleston has to offer. Boeing, Benz and Volvo among other companies find it hard to hire enough highly educated/skilled workers. It took me 3 months to find a good Electronics Tech that wanted less than 60k/year to start. A lot of these jobs don't require a College Degree, just good technical skills like you'd find in the military or from a Vo-Tech program in electrical work.
Your problem was not finding the right person. It was finding the right person for the wages you were willing to pay.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:14 PM

3,592 posts, read 4,359,855 times
Quote:
Unless your ancestors were one of the local native tribes before the Europeans got here....You might be a transplant too!
I seem to remember the rule of thumb being 3 generations gets you 'locals' privileges.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:15 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,106,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
This is an opinion, and worth exactly what you paid to get it, but I'd pay more for MtP if possible. If you want cheaper, it's available, even in MtP. Just slightly more sketchy.

Going to and from DI wouldn't be terrible. Just in my experience, you normally get even less for your money there. (But in an effort to be completely honest, I'm not much of a fan of DI. Maybe someone else can give you a different perspective.)
My folks lived on Daniel Island for about 7 years I spent a fair amount of time there. It's a nice place, but very much so in a planned community way, people riding around on golf carts, it's almost too pristine. Also because its such a small area it really can't support many businesses. I think there's one or two gas stations, there's a publics and some pizza shops but there's no fast food, not that I'm a fan but just saying if your lazy and tired and want McDonalds your driving to Mt Pleasant. there's also no coffee shops really, there may be a scone shop or something that sells coffee but not a dunkin donuts or starbucks or really a dedicated coffee shp. For almost everything you do your going to head to mt pleasant. Now people talk about traffic down there, while it does suck and has gotten worse if your from a major city charleston traffic is very minor compared to what Chicago traffic is.

DI actually isn't a bad location for getting to Mt P and/or Charleston and while people tend to say its super expensive which it is, I think the lack of things to do there kind of keeps some prices in check ie most people under 35 wouln't want to tlive there. I see condos and even some townhomes there cheaper than Mt P and James Island on occasion

Old 07-09-2018, 04:22 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,106,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Wha does primary education have to do with transplant opportunities?
In talking to a lot of Charleston residents who came from other major cities almost all made some comment about it being easy to succeed down in Charleston. I personally got the impression it had more to do with life attitudes than education ie charleston was a bit more chill, not as hard handed as back home with employers but there probably is some, those dumb southerners kind of attitude among some. Basically people from New York, Chicago, etc seem to think they have a leg up on people from charleston who have a more laid back attitude towards work and deadlines and such. not saying I agree with this just echoeing what I've heard from others

Old 07-29-2018, 08:22 AM

88 posts, read 111,942 times
Just wanted to update everyone . We successfully made it last week and are living in seaside farms. So far it’s been great. Everyone has been great. Traffic is not as bad as I thought and living on Mt Pleasant is nice and seaside is so close to IOP. I will say, finding the right places to eat has been a challenge. It’s hard to cook right now as we are not completely unpacked and settled. We are looking for some local laid back mom and pop food but haven’t found any yet. Most of my neighbors so far have been mostly more hip and fancy than we tend to be. Plus we have a toddler and a 5 month old and that makes it a little difficult to sit at Opal or Basil. I have heard mention of a seafood place close that you oh cash only and it’s local. Don’t know the name or location, also heard mention of Wades? Not sure if that it right . Anybody know where we can find these types of restaraunts in the Charleston are? We love on Mt P of course but we will drive for this food.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:01 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,766,189 times
Start with Paige's Okra Grill on Coleman Blvd. Southern home cooking at reasonable prices.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:19 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,992,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
I seem to remember the rule of thumb being 3 generations gets you 'locals' privileges.
I was born in NC but have been in Chas since I was two years old, I consider myself a local at this point but not a "native"

Old 07-30-2018, 10:44 AM

3,592 posts, read 4,359,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I was born in NC but have been in Chas since I was two years old, I consider myself a local at this point but not a "native"
I can say my skin color is blue, but that doesn't make it so. (well maybe in this new era of "pick your pronoun" you might be able to). I'm just regurgitating what the natives tell me.

I'm a inner SC transplant myself from the midlands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area