Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 01:26 PM

6 posts, read 4,130 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm having a hard time finding feedback or comments from Canadians (Ontario) that moved to Mt. Pleasant. My wife has this idea of moving there now, and we are excited about it. But it's still a little bit "obscure", as we can't find much information.
Are any Canadians living there now that can maybe share some of the challenges and good things about living there? (moving, enrolling in schools, commute, etc - And where exactly did you guys move to? We are thinking Carolina Park or Park West)
We have 2 kids, 7 and 9 years old.
Thanks!!
Thomas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 01:37 PM

11 posts, read 14,767 times
Can't say I have encountered many Canadians here, but having spent some time in your fine country you would fit in well in terms of being relaxed and friendly. The heat and humidity in the summer will be a change, but you'll adapt. I suspect there will be no complaints of sunny and mild winters. You won't have to pack your snow brush or shovel!

In terms of neighborhoods, Park West and Carolina Park are good choices for families. You will have schools in your subdivision, large parks, amenities such as pools, tennis, etc. The big question is where are you commuting to? If it is downtown Charleston, the traffic can make it a 30-45 minute drive. Other areas of the metro can vary. If you are working remotely as many that relocate here do, no problem!

There are so many great options the best one is to book a long weekend here and get a feel for the area. Look at homes in different neighborhoods and get your bearings but don't pressure yourself to make an immediate decision. When I relocated to this area that's what I did and I still felt there was a lot to take in in making a decision as big as buying a home. There are decisions you must make such as proximity to beach? Do you want amenities? An HOA (or not!)? Commute? Walkable/bikable to restaurants/shopping?

Come on down and take the next step to making the lowcountry your home!

Old 05-15-2019, 04:00 PM

3,865 posts, read 4,603,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlintz View Post
Hi! I'm having a hard time finding feedback or comments from Canadians (Ontario) that moved to Mt. Pleasant. My wife has this idea of moving there now, and we are excited about it. But it's still a little bit "obscure", as we can't find much information.
Are any Canadians living there now that can maybe share some of the challenges and good things about living there? (moving, enrolling in schools, commute, etc - And where exactly did you guys move to? We are thinking Carolina Park or Park West)
Thanks!!
Thomas.
I have a cousin who lives in Cornwall Ontario. She's been coming down here for years, most often for the month of March to escape the last of the long Canadian winter. She's thought of retiring here and knows she'd like it though her situation is different from yours.

Other than citizenship issues, I don't think you'll find it more challenging than any other transplant from a northern clime. Which neighborhood would work best for you will be based on the same practical criteria that everyone has. I have clients closing on a house tomorrow who also have 9 and 7 year old kids. They chose Stratton By The Sound in Mt Pleasant, but they don't have to concern themselves with commute times as they work from home and home-school their kids. I'd agree with CHS, if you can swing a visit down here, it would be well worth the effort.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:41 AM

6 posts, read 4,130 times
Thank you all for all the information and tips!
Yes, long winters here, and also cost of living and house prices in this area (near Toronto) are ridiculous now...
We heard great things about Charleston. Well, some complain of high taxes, but coming from Canada, that is nothing
I noticed both of you are Realtors, which is great since you know the area well! But we've been working with Bob Brennaman for some time now, so we are ok for now, thank you!

Old 05-16-2019, 12:36 PM

11 posts, read 14,767 times
Quote:
Yes, long winters here, and also cost of living and house prices in this area (near Toronto) are ridiculous now...
We heard great things about Charleston. Well, some complain of high taxes, but coming from Canada, that is nothing
I noticed both of you are Realtors, which is great since you know the area well! But we've been working with Bob Brennaman for some time now, so we are ok for now, thank you!
Bob's a great guy. You are in great hands. Cheers!

Old 05-17-2019, 05:15 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Thanks!!
Thomas.
Good Morning. Our family moved from Milton Ontario (Toronto) back in 1997. Originally we moved to the Atlanta area and have been living in Mt. Pleasant since 2008.

We moved with three small children -- 9, 7 and newborn -- yes just two weeks old. My kids are now 31, 29 and 22.

Schools -- Mt. Pleasant has great schools -- the transition should be fairly easy. School systems in the same state can be a little different so you might find that there are some minor curriculum differences but nothing earth shattering.

Lifestyle -- not much different. You don't have three rinks within 15 minutes of your house but for the most part similar lifestyles for families. Summers are hot and humid -- but I love it. Winters -- well you'll see -- your kids may never own a 'ski jacket' again.

Biggest issue was establishing credit, getting a mortgage, etc. We were fortunate to buy a house in 1997 with a company that had their own financing so we secured a mortgage through them -- and then were able to get a car loan through the same finance company. BUT I have heard of Canadians struggling to get a mortgage. The Canadian credit rating did not transfer.

Commute -- depends on where you are coming from. We live south of Carolina Park or Park West and my husband works downtown -- it is the easiest commute we have had EVER. But in Canada we lived in the Greater Toronto Area & then in Atlanta.

There is an adjustment with health care system. It is different.

Let me know if you have specific questions.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:25 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Toronto area -- then you will find the commute a breeze and a welcome break from the 401.

We took three years to sell our house in the Atlanta area, and I know Mt. Pleasant as well as any realtor. My husband also works in residential land development.

While Carolina Park and Park West are amazing communities. For us -- they were a little too far away from the beaches and Charleston downtown.

That's a personal choice for sure. Of course they are AMAZING family communities, and have great schools.

(My youngest went to Wando and while it was large in student population, the opportunities were plentiful).

Charleston is a much much smaller community. You don't have major sports teams, you don't get all the big concert acts, and the shopping is not like the GTA. And -- lack of diversity in ethnic restaurants -- lol....minor differences in food trends but nothing to really upset your world. I love going to Shem Creek to do my shopping for fish -- once you are settled here I'll give you the scoop on getting the best fresh fish.

Minor sports teams, easy access to Charlotte & Atlanta, great restaurants...and just that Low Country living can't be beat.

High taxes in Charleston --- who said that. Even in the southeast it has some of the lowest taxes.

Housing is expensive -- not Toronto expensive (mind you will take a hit on the exchange).....but once you are here you will find the cost of living is not that high (coming from Toronto). We travel to Toronto area at least once a year and it always is an adjustment to see the cost of gas, some food (produce is not that expensive in Toronto -- it can be here).

Now that I know you are coming from the GTA, I really can relate to any differences in lifestyle, etc.

Toronto is still my favorite place to live -- it just has winter.......and now is so expensive housing wise....but that city -- oh my.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:45 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,990,162 times
Quote:
Thanks!!
Thomas.
Hi Thomas, while we dont have a huge amount of Canadians that move here directly, compared to say, folks from Ohio, we do have many folks from up that way. Are you moving for a job? Is drive commute times important to you? I find that placing folks in areas where they travel agaisnt the flow of traffic is a nice break from the morning humdrum. For example, I live in W. Ashley and commute to Summerville daily. I never even hit the breaks on the way to work, but inbound traffic will be at a standstill.

Enrolling your kids for school isnt a hard venture, finding child care might be a tougher prospect as we dont have enough child care professionals here currently.

For the price range you're considering (Park West and Carolina Park) you can pretty much afford most areas of town.

There are plenty of good public schools, magnet programs, charter programs, etc that youre kids will get a fine education here.

What drew you guys to Mt Pleasant?

Old 05-22-2019, 08:02 PM

3 posts, read 3,131 times
Fellow Canadian here. Lived in Toronto most of my life. I've since lived in various US states and recently moved to Summerville. As someone mentioned, healthcare is different in US compared to Canada, it will be an adjustment. In terms of weather, I'm new here so I can't say much about summer, it's already starting to warm up! You will love the milder winter here for sure. People here are as friendly and nice as Canadians. Our neighborhood has a good mix of retirees and young families with kids the same age as yours. Also, you will love the lower sales tax here! Not sure which part of Ontario you're from, but if you are familiar with Toronto traffic (DVP for example), the rush hour traffic here is nothing compared to that!

Old 05-22-2019, 08:07 PM

3,865 posts, read 4,603,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louisaw View Post
Fellow Canadian here. Lived in Toronto most of my life. I've since lived in various US states and recently moved to Summerville. As someone mentioned, healthcare is different in US compared to Canada, it will be an adjustment. In terms of weather, I'm new here so I can't say much about summer, it's already starting to warm up! You will love the milder winter here for sure. People here are as friendly and nice as Canadians. Our neighborhood has a good mix of retirees and young families with kids the same age as yours. Also, you will love the lower sales tax here! Not sure which part of Ontario you're from, but if you are familiar with Toronto traffic (DVP for example), the rush hour traffic here is nothing compared to that!
Nice compliment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area