Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 11:36 AM

3 posts, read 2,735 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what opinions are on the School of the Arts high school band program vs Wando High School's band? Also, though I know information is unlikely right now, is anything known about the upcoming Beckham high school and their arts programs? I have a musically and academically talented middle schooler, and my husband and I have differing thoughts on what to do for high school. I've no doubt they're all great options, but I'd still like to hear other's thoughts and more "inside" details on these programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 10:43 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,351,036 times
I have a rising 9th grader that goes to SOA. As a visual artitst, she has chosen to attend Wando next year. SOA does not have a marching band, it is symphony. My daughter is making the change due to the lack of diversity in courses at SOA. She LOVES art, but at SOA all your electives are forced to be in the specialty you are attending for. She wanted to take computer modeling, engineering, take additional sciences (marine biology, environmental sciences) as electives, etc. She couldn't do that at SOA.

Academically, Wando has more AP and Dual Enrollment options than SOA. The scores at Wando aren't as good as SOA, but that's because Wando is a general High School that takes all students within its zone. SOA hand picks their students into a much smaller class body size. In general, those willing to go through the acceptance process at SOA, tend to be better students that care about their work and have engaged parents.

The student body is very different at SOA. It is a school focused on just the arts and has no sports. We've noted a complete lack of social pressures or bullying. Students tend to be much more accepting of other students interests. That's one of the biggest things we're going to miss about the school. The atmosphere is just... "better".

If your child loves music and that's all they want to do outside of the core classes, then SOA would be a wonderful fit. If they want to do more, have other experiences, then Wando might be a better fit. The marching band program at Wando is top tier, it's serious business. I don't know how that equates to their symphony band (I don't even know if they have a full strings section). I believe there is a pretty heavy "fair share" fees responsibility. I was in the band in high school. Looking at the "recommended instrument upgrade list" for Wando, you're looking at some serious investment in instruments. They are suggesting a Selmer Mark VI sax which runs $5-6k.

I found this: http://wandobands.org/wp-content/upl...book-final.pdf

Old 04-09-2019, 11:34 AM

3 posts, read 2,735 times
Thank-you for your detailed reply IsNull. That's a really good consideration about electives, and is definitely more for us to think about. It didn't occur to me that SOA would be much more limited in that area. Music means a lot to my son and is a big part of his life, but he's also highly science oriented too and wants to explore much of the same areas as your daughter. At the same time though his personality is one that would do better with kids in a more accepting environment. Not to say that if he went to Wando I think he would be bullied or have a really hard time socially, but, it would still nice to have it be less of a worry. Definitely lots to consider here.

Old 04-09-2019, 02:23 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
I have seen issues with those that "went away" to school not being able to socialize with the local kids and thus were often left out as in isolated. Were I a parent in Mount Pleasant, I would want my child got to local schools and the fact that they are considered top tier schools makes the decision even easier.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:36 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,351,036 times
We've been assured that Wando is so big that no matter what your "group of people" there are people there to hook into. Freshmen have their own section of the school that only they go to in order to help facilitate integration into the school with less social issues.

If your son is in the honors or AP courses, we've been told that most of those students tend to follow each other from class to class which also helps make the school feel smaller.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:39 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,423,754 times
As per USNEWS ( sort of the bible of these things and used by most colleges as a reference point) Academic is rated # 1 in the state, number 10 magnet in the country and number 43 overall nationally …. Wando high school is rated number 8 in the state and number 1243 nationally .
Depends on where your child will bloom …. academic is a hot house ….and stressful. Wando is the normal high school featured in every in every high school movie ...lol … but because of its size ,and the community it serves offers a broad sampling of high end educational pursuits.

You know your child better than anyone … chose wisely.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:59 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,208,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
As per USNEWS ( sort of the bible of these things and used by most colleges as a reference point) Academic is rated # 1 in the state, number 10 magnet in the country and number 43 overall nationally …. Wando high school is rated number 8 in the state and number 1243 nationally .
Depends on where your child will bloom …. academic is a hot house ….and stressful. Wando is the normal high school featured in every in every high school movie ...lol … but because of its size ,and the community it serves offers a broad sampling of high end educational pursuits.

You know your child better than anyone … chose wisely.
I have to disagree with this. Wando can be a very competitive environment as well. Consider that it is ranked 8th in the state while still be a large high school that has zoned admission as opposed to applications.

Class ranking can be brutal when the kids with high GPAs and a load of honors/AP classes run a dime a dozen. Sports and extra curricular activities can also be very competitive since their are so many students but the same allotment of players as a smaller school would have. Even band is major endeavor. In that regard Beckham should be more conducive to late bloomers.

I don't say this as a slight against Wando. I simply think its fair to point out the counter to its high rankings/success is that it too can be cut throat for the kids trying to stay at the upper echelon.

Old 04-12-2019, 04:03 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I have to disagree with this. Wando can be a very competitive environment as well. Consider that it is ranked 8th in the state while still be a large high school that has zoned admission as opposed to applications.

Class ranking can be brutal when the kids with high GPAs and a load of honors/AP classes run a dime a dozen. Sports and extra curricular activities can also be very competitive since their are so many students but the same allotment of players as a smaller school would have. Even band is major endeavor. In that regard Beckham should be more conducive to late bloomers.

I don't say this as a slight against Wando. I simply think its fair to point out the counter to its high rankings/success is that it too can be cut throat for the kids trying to stay at the upper echelon.
So if you want to be overly protective of your child versus expose them to the real world, send them the Beckham (or such)? No thanks.

Go forth my child and learn about real life.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:13 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,936 times
I don't see any reason to think Beckham is going to be "overly protective". My daughter went to the Academic Magnet HS and she did well there. Back then (1996) most of the students who went to Buist (the elementary/middle magnet school) moved to the AMHS as a matter of course. Having been a somewhat involved parent at Buist, I was familiar with a lot of those kids and felt that some of them would have been eaten alive at a large school. AMHS had plenty of focused, driven kids but still had a softer, more accepting environment where all the kids could thrive. At least in the early years, that's what I'd hope Beckham to be.
Back to the OP's original question, it sounds like either music program (SOA or Wando) would be acceptable and as Cynic said, you know best which environment your son is likely to fit best in. Note that Beckham HS is not expected to be up and running until next year and to my knowledge, the attendance lines for Beckham and Wando have not been 100% decided yet.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:56 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,208,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
So if you want to be overly protective of your child versus expose them to the real world, send them the Beckham (or such)? No thanks.

Go forth my child and learn about real life.
I actually do not have kids but am friends with several teachers and have close friends looking at the Wando-SOA-Beckham trio at the moment. One already has a child in SOA. And their path was as Local described- Buist to SOA.

I think competition can be great but not all kids are suited to all environments. If you have the option/choice to pick where/how your kid will learn I think school culture is a valid criteria. I've known people who transferred their kids, opted for private school, returned to public school and chosen magnates for a variety of reasons. I was simply trying to point out that Wando was not going to be an 'easy' out in comparison to one of the magnates. I know one couple who switched from a private to Wando (this actually became a driving force in a home purchase) because it was a competitive school. Others have done the opposite because they were not enamored with the school size alone.

To each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area