Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 06:11 AM

3 posts, read 19,500 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate to Charleston SC ... concerned about flooding ... how is Summerville, Goose Creek ? Really do not want to get too far from Charleston cause I love that area ..... Saw a place near the Ashley River where there is a marina for docking of boats WHICH AFTER READING AND RESEARCHING does not sound safe for me . I do not own a boat nor am I crazy bout being around a lot of water ( Love the Woods, greenery ) but I simply fell in love with the Condo . I am retired so I want to feel as secure as possible since it is only myself .... Ty for your input .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 06:32 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyTuck View Post
Looking to relocate to Charleston SC ... concerned about flooding ... how is Summerville, Goose Creek ? Really do not want to get too far from Charleston cause I love that area ..... Saw a place near the Ashley River where there is a marina for docking of boats WHICH AFTER READING AND RESEARCHING does not sound safe for me . I do not own a boat nor am I crazy bout being around a lot of water ( Love the Woods, greenery ) but I simply fell in love with the Condo . I am retired so I want to feel as secure as possible since it is only myself .... Ty for your input .
It might seem counter intuitive, but flooding isn't just about proximity to the water. Many places in Summerville flooded during the 2015 October rains. My house on James Island is across the street from deep water but up on a bluff so flooding has never come close including the 2015 rains, hurricane Hugo and every other "water event". Each property has to be considered on a case by case basis.

I would suggest focusing on your other criteria (budget, sqft, etc) and then looking into the flooding potential of each matching property.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:28 AM

Thank you very much, good sound advise !

Old 08-29-2019, 08:53 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
One advantage to being near the coast is better drainage. Inland SC and NC can get flooded for months as the low lying areas hold water that has no place to go. At the coast, low lying areas pretty much all drain to the ocean with the outgoing tide.
In general most infrastructure close to the coast anticipates flooding while its typically a second thought in areas of higher elevation.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:29 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,651,502 times
Both Local Hero and Ziggy give sound advise. I live off of old SC 61 and have never had any problems, yet the new areas close by, around Bees Ferry Road have big problems.
Even downtown, which has been flooding for years and still does, doesn't last long.

Old 09-02-2019, 10:50 PM

Default Ty for the info on flooding

I thought moving near Summerville or Goose Creek I might be safer but ... will first find a place and then my research on past flooding .... Ty All again Aly

Old 09-03-2019, 04:20 AM

216 posts, read 299,448 times
Flood maps, speaking with neighbors, and reading news articles should all be used when looking into a property.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:27 PM

139 posts, read 118,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbalancedwood View Post
Flood maps, speaking with neighbors, and reading news articles should all be used when looking into a property.
This.

Also, find a realtor that's been living in the area for a while. They should be familiar with what floods when there's just a thunderstorm and what actually takes a hurricane to have even a potential risk to flood.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:47 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Take Shadowmoss for example in West Ashley. Poor planning when that community was built lead to poor drainage which in turn led to FEMA having to buy several homes that were condemned for chronic flooding issues. Granted, Shadowmoss is in a drainage basin for Church Creek and should probably had more research done before putting up the homes there, but we are a low lying area, with many creeks/rivers and anytime you add concrete slabs to an area that was naturally used as a drainage run-off, you're going to have issues as that water has nowhere to go..

Old 09-10-2019, 05:59 AM

528 posts, read 1,513,522 times
I agree with all of this advice wholeheartedly. It is really important to work with a realtor that knows the area well. Even after living here my whole life things have changed because of construction and things being built that have caused problems for areas that never had problems 20 years ago. (Case in point, my sister just spent last winter redoing her entire yard at the Isle of Palms because neighboring lots built their land up when they built their houses (after hers) and suddenly her yard was the lowest point.
Congrats on retirement. I'm sure you will enjoy living down here and all the beauty the Lowcountry has to offer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area