Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2008, 12:36 AM

139 posts, read 153,522 times

Advertisements

I am a disabled vet (30%). My hearing loss makes it very difficult to find a job because a lot of people think deaf is dumb. Interviews don't go well. I can do a lot of things, but my education is a hindrance because most think I am overqualified...though I am willing to do whatever to earn a basic living. My truck is about to be repossessed because I am two payments behind. I live on nothing more than 350. a month from disability compensation. I have sought to increase this by VA to bring it up to bottom level poverty, but have met the right person to help with what I am told is a simple VA claim adjustment. I need help immediately. We are out of food. I don't qualify for unemployment. I am a dedicated Christian and am trusting God to inspire someone to offer help/advice. I don't belong to a local church. help. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 08:21 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
George, you need to go to the Human Resources(welfare) office today or Monday morning.They can offer food stamps, job leads, etc..Never be too proud to ask for help..Government help is not a hand out, it is a helping hand and you certainly deserve it..You may even qualify for a free hearing aid through rehabilitation to help you find a job..Rehab paid 100% of my daughters hearing aids when her hearing got so bad it was interferring with her job..If your hearing loss is service connected the VA will provide one. There should be a VA ombudsman in your town who can help you get the info you need to reopen your disability percentage claim...I know the agony of people thinking deaf people are dumb, because I have significant hearing loss. Thank you for your service to this country and I pray this country will now honor your needs..

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-25-2008 at 08:33 AM..

Old 04-25-2008, 07:09 PM

269 posts, read 1,010,584 times
Default I am going to trust with you!

Mr. Abney,

I am going to put my faith in God with you. I unfortunatley have no employment to give you (I am a stay at home Mom). However, I will keep you in my constant thoughts and try to send good will your way. I do not think that those that have less hearing than myself are slow, I believe you are gifted in other areas and probably see things better than I do. I hope all goes well and you will update us all as to your situation.

I understand you are behind, but as for food, please look at some of the church run food banks for the immediate weekend. They are offering quite a bit of help to everyone (church member or not). They will gladly reach out and help you.
Sincerely,
The wife

Old 04-25-2008, 07:38 PM

269 posts, read 1,010,584 times
Try these,you usually get paid the same day:
Labor Finders: Summerville

[SIZE=-1]www.laborfinders.com

Charleston, SC 29401
(843) 308-0502[/SIZE]

LABOR FINDERS 843-554-1179

4251 Spruill Ave
North Charleston, SC 29405
3.9MI from Charleston

LABOR READY 843-747-9816

4304 Rivers Ave
North Charleston, SC 29405
3.9MI from Charleston

ABLE BODY LABOR 843-554-2339

5000 Rivers Ave
North Charleston, SC 29406
6.7MI from Charleston

Old 04-26-2008, 01:55 PM

139 posts, read 153,522 times
Thank you!
The VA is preparing a nice set of hearing aids for me now.
No one can 'get ahead' in a debt management culture such as ours'.
I gave my professional life in edu support services to troops in the field...I rode
the first ammunition ship to the Persian Gulf in 1990 Desert Storm and the first USN battle group to the Persian Gulf for Operation Iraqi Freedom. I did it all without thought of pension, or personal economic security. Life at sea on a battle ship is not stress free. Then came the unexpected layoff and no recall to work in 2003. Central Texas College cut a lot of long term instructors loose then... I was in the saddle for 13 years (5 years sea time) and some had been there for more than 25 years. Life holds no guarantees, but the Promises of God are sure and I look to Him for remedy. Thanks for your good will. It means a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area