Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 07:25 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,429,791 times

Advertisements

What a shame! 2020 is a terrible year for all of us in the United States, and Charleston too. The Virus has been a tough thing that continues on, and all the protests, riots, and division is a very sad state of affairs for the U.S. and Charleston. Lack of care for others across the U.S. and Charleston is bringing Charleston downhill and it is losing it's charm. Vandalizing businesses after they have been closed for business due to the virus. Vandalizing statues and monuments downtown. Destroying Charleston's history. I'm not sure Charleston will ever be the same, if this protesting, destroying property, monuments, and statues continues. Now, minority groups want to change the names of many things too, It's a sad state of affairs here in Charleston and the whole United States.

https://charlestondaily.net/10-ways-...for-the-worse/

Old 06-18-2020, 08:55 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,942,181 times
I agree and I hope it’s just a temporary hiccup (as I do for the rest of the country).

I think all the latest in mob rule is the result of locking the entire population up in their houses for almost 2 months with nothing better to do than think of things to get stirred up about.
Idle hands is the devil’s workshop and all that.

Your link though is about growth issues.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:56 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,685,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post
What a shame! 2020 is a terrible year for all of us in the United States, and Charleston too. The Virus has been a tough thing that continues on, and all the protests, riots, and division is a very sad state of affairs for the U.S. and Charleston. Lack of care for others across the U.S. and Charleston is bringing Charleston downhill and it is losing it's charm. Vandalizing businesses after they have been closed for business due to the virus. Vandalizing statues and monuments downtown. Destroying Charleston's history. I'm not sure Charleston will ever be the same, if this protesting, destroying property, monuments, and statues continues. Now, minority groups want to change the names of many things too, It's a sad state of affairs here in Charleston and the whole United States.

....and all those damn illegals at the Mexican restaurants.**

I can't believe you haven't headed back to Virginia Beach yet.

** This is based on a previous post by this person.

Old 06-18-2020, 02:30 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,444,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
....and all those damn illegals at the Mexican restaurants.**

I can't believe you haven't headed back to Virginia Beach yet.

** This is based on a previous post by this person.
Lol so Serenity is not from Charleston either? Lol. Do any of you know what Charleston was like in the 1990s? I personally do because I was here to see it.

Every city has changed for the worst and changed for the better. Every city. Some charm has been lost, while new opportunities and avenues have been unlocked. Boeing, Daimler, Blackbaud, Volvo, MUSC, and so on have brought an influx of new people, but they've also brought new prosperity.

Charleston has grown up in a major way. You can fly to LONDON, UK from Charleston, the smallest metro by far, with that claim - and second smallest with a flight to Europe period.

We need jobs to survive and Charleston is booming with them. Despite the whining about "rioters", Charleston statistically is much safer than it used to be. Despite the whining about "division", Charleston is a more tolerant city than it used to be.

It's a more diverse city than it used to be. It's a more educated city than it used to be. People brag on California for it's education, but Charleston is technically more educated than every place in California outside of the Bay Area.

People who complain about transplants ruining the city...are transplants themselves. "I moved here in 2012 and everything was great. How dare the people who moved in 2014 come and ruin it for me." "Now that my house has been built, Mount Pleasant needs to stop building them! We're full! I was the last one allowed!" Whining, whining, whining is all I hear.

Yall are complaining that the country is divided, yet you're crying that a statue of Calhoun, who was a known racist...and divider...is being taken down and put in a museum. "My history! My poor history!" If only there were museums that were around to preserve it! Oh wait...

I'm sorry for my very condescending attitudes, but you people need to get a grip and stop partisan whining. This thread was unneeded. Liberals and conservatives, white people and black people, natives and transplants, can all come together and make Charleston the best place in the country, but we choose not to. That's not "Charleston's" fault, it's your fault.

Also: stop whining about protests. Since many of you on CD are old, were you seriously whining when MLK was doing it? Protests are very American, and they've helped bring rights and change for all groups. How do you think women got the right to vote? How do you think black people got civil rights? Instead of whining about protests, educate yourself on why anyone needed to protest in the first place. Just a thought?

And lastly, since yall whine about "minorities" (seriously), you should know that according to Quinnipiac...removing confederate monuments is something majority of the United States is in favor of. But those daggum minorities though...

Old 06-18-2020, 06:03 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,942,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Lol so Serenity is not from Charleston either? Lol. Do any of you know what Charleston was like in the 1990s? I personally do because I was here to see it.

Every city has changed for the worst and changed for the better. Every city. Some charm has been lost, while new opportunities and avenues have been unlocked. Boeing, Daimler, Blackbaud, Volvo, MUSC, and so on have brought an influx of new people, but they've also brought new prosperity.

Charleston has grown up in a major way. You can fly to LONDON, UK from Charleston, the smallest metro by far, with that claim - and second smallest with a flight to Europe period.

We need jobs to survive and Charleston is booming with them. Despite the whining about "rioters", Charleston statistically is much safer than it used to be. Despite the whining about "division", Charleston is a more tolerant city than it used to be.

It's a more diverse city than it used to be. It's a more educated city than it used to be. People brag on California for it's education, but Charleston is technically more educated than every place in California outside of the Bay Area.

People who complain about transplants ruining the city...are transplants themselves. "I moved here in 2012 and everything was great. How dare the people who moved in 2014 come and ruin it for me." "Now that my house has been built, Mount Pleasant needs to stop building them! We're full! I was the last one allowed!" Whining, whining, whining is all I hear.

Yall are complaining that the country is divided, yet you're crying that a statue of Calhoun, who was a known racist...and divider...is being taken down and put in a museum. "My history! My poor history!" If only there were museums that were around to preserve it! Oh wait...

I'm sorry for my very condescending attitudes, but you people need to get a grip and stop partisan whining. This thread was unneeded. Liberals and conservatives, white people and black sopeople, natives and transplants, can all come together and make Charleston the best place in the country, but we choose not to. That's not "Charleston's" fault, it's your fault.

Also: stop whining about protests. Since many of you on CD are old, were you seriously whining when MLK was doing it? Protests are very American, and they've helped bring rights and change for all groups. How do you think women got the right to vote? How do you think black people got civil rights? Instead of whining about protests, educate yourself on why anyone needed to protest in the first place. Just a thought?

And lastly, since yall whine about "minorities" (seriously), you should know that according to Quinnipiac...removing confederate monuments is something majority of the United States is in favor of. But those daggum minorities though...
I appreciate your perspective but a couple things ...

1) Charleston proper is actually getting less diverse. “Black Flight” has been going on for a few decades. https://www.postandcourier.com/news/...7104344bb.html

2) Protest only accomplish things if there is a coherent message. Not sure what destroying King Street was supposed to do to support any cause. Tell me what the protest hope to achieve then I want you to explain what taking down a statue has to do with it. People are willing to empathize and help make meaningful change, but try to limit who you’re picking a fight with. And people are starting to get tired of it. And everybody running around chanting in huge groups isn’t helping the Covid situation.

3) the city is trying to prosper but between Covid, riots, protest, curfews, and another Covid spike it’s been pretty rough on small business. If things don’t get back to normal soon, prosperity won’t be around for long. Boeing is in the midst of doing massive layoffs and British Airways has suspended flights here. Do you think people really want to come see some place on news for protest and riots?

Old 06-18-2020, 06:52 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,444,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I appreciate your perspective but a couple things ...

1) Charleston proper is actually getting less diverse. “Black Flight” has been going on for a few decades. https://www.postandcourier.com/news/...7104344bb.html
As is happening in most cities. Minorities are moving into the suburbs and white people are moving into the city. White flight 2.0. Still doesn't make up for the fact that diversity has gotten better in Charleston overall, and not just from a racial standpoint.

Quote:
2) Protest only accomplish things if there is a coherent message. Not sure what destroying King Street was supposed to do to support any cause. Tell me what the protest hope to achieve then I want you to explain what taking down a statue has to do with it. People are willing to empathize and help make meaningful change, but try to limit who you’re picking a fight with. And people are starting to get tired of it. And everybody running around chanting in huge groups isn’t helping the Covid situation.
Sigh..."destroying" is very disingenuous to say, but "destroying" King Street had nothing to do with the protesters. Rioters - who operate on their own - used the protesters as pawns to sneak in the back door and loot. They did it everywhere. You act like downtown Charleston was the only place on the planet that did this.

So your question is invalid. Your question should be "what did the rioters hope to achieve?" And the answer is rhetorical. "They hoped to get free stuff."

And unlike everyone else, at least most protesters have enough sense to wear masks. I'm sure no one had anything to say about all the people who were running around in huge groups in the King Street bars last weekend.

Quote:
3) the city is trying to prosper but between Covid, riots, protest, curfews, and another Covid spike it’s been pretty rough on small business. If things don’t get back to normal soon, prosperity won’t be around for long. Boeing is in the midst of doing massive layoffs and British Airways has suspended flights here. Do you think people really want to come see some place on news for protest and riots?
The "rioting" was 1 night, back in May. We're closer to July now than we are May, can yall please give that a rest already. It's June 18th, are you currently under curfew? No. The protests will end when things change. If you don't like people chanting then don't go around them, or just tune them out the same way people tune out the homeless and the men who stand on corners and shout the bible.

The protests don't hurt small business either. Mama Kim's said it was all for it and in support, and her restaurant was not touched. People shared dozens of great stories about Mama Kim. These places still get business from protesters and bystanders. Everyone has to eat.

Covid would've been dealt with if the state and federal government had gotten their s--t together, so you can't pin your frustrations about covid on protesters. It's not their fault that we might be headed towards mandatory mask wearing everywhere. Pin it on the people who could've actually prevented this back in February. Just a thought. As for small businesses being hurt, maybe you should pin that on the people who didnt help them as much as they could and pause payments back in the spring. Again, just a thought.

And yes, people will continue to visit Charleston: i know 3 people from Florida who are currently visiting for the week and they've said absolutely nothing about the protests, they asked me what to see and what to eat, what do locals do. EVERY major city has protesting going on, you think that's what's going to stop people from visiting? And not a virus? Stop trying to pin all these problems on them when these problems started before George Floyd was killed.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:04 PM

73 posts, read 158,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post

I'm sorry for my very condescending attitudes, but you people need to get a grip and stop partisan whining. This thread was unneeded. Liberals and conservatives, white people and black people, natives and transplants, can all come together and make Charleston the best place in the country, but we choose not to. That's not "Charleston's" fault, it's your fault.

I agree, well said!

Old 06-18-2020, 08:34 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post

Sorry but us minorities are in the majority here. Even Senate Republicans agreed with Sen. Elizabeth Warren's proposal to rename all military bases named after Confederate generals within the next three years. The tide has turned and you are finding yourself on the wrong side of history.

Oh and if you're bothered by the monuments coming down, you're REALLY going to lose it when the International African American Museum opens in the near future.

Old 06-19-2020, 02:43 AM

11,431 posts, read 5,973,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Sorry but us minorities are in the majority here. Even Senate Republicans agreed with Sen. Elizabeth Warren's proposal to rename all military bases named after Confederate generals within the next three years. The tide has turned and you are finding yourself on the wrong side of history.

Oh and if you're bothered by the monuments coming down, you're REALLY going to lose it when the International African American Museum opens in the near future.
International African-American Museum.

Adding history is a good thing.

Tearing down statues, monuments, and historical plaques.

Erasing history is a bad thing.

You cannot equate them.

Old 06-19-2020, 03:44 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
International African-American Museum.

Adding history is a good thing.

Tearing down statues, monuments, and historical plaques.

Erasing history is a bad thing.

You cannot equate them.
Removing monuments doesn't constitute erasing history. Calhoun was still a vile and wicked historical figure that existed, with or without a monument dedicated to him. Furthermore, monuments and statues aren't really meant to teach history; their purpose is to convey the values and ideals that are celebrated by the people who erect such monuments, in both active and passive ways. Calhoun's monument, like Confederate monuments, doesn't even mention the cause he was most dedicated to defending and preserving throughout his life which makes it obvious that it has no historic instructional value in itself.

Good riddance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area