Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 11:17 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,007,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I’ve never missed an episode. I watch it for the scenes.
So do I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2021, 01:21 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,596,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
After Christmas to 1/2. I'm kinda mixed on the tea tour we were just quoted at $100 a person
$100 per person does sound like too much for that. The Charleston Tea Plantation tour is nice if the weather is nice. I think it's still free except for the trolley tour:
https://charlestonteagarden.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEB1786 View Post
Do you have any specific type of food for dinners?

- Fort Sumter, any of the various plantation in West Ashley (Magnolia, Middleton, Drayton Hall), various historic houses downtown.
+1 Magnolia plantation has extensive Camelia Gardens that should be blooming at that time. They also have a small petting zoo if you have kids with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We just took the boat tour to Ft. Sumpter from Mt Pleasant yesterday. It was a gorgeous sunny day, and the view getting to the fort was enjoyable. Watching the pelicans and dolphins was amusing, too. The fort itself is just ok. If you do this on a cold or cloudy day, you will not enjoy it much.

If you enjoy military history, you can tour the two ships at Patriots Point.
+1 for the Ft Sumpter tour also and good advice on the weather. If it's not warm it won't be much fun. We often have days in the 70's during the winter though.

Quote:
If you watched Southern Charm, you would have seen that Thomas Ravenel was one of the main characters. He is of very poor character, and one one of the episodes, his elderly father said he didn’t use $5. bills because Abraham Lincoln was on them.....alluding to slavery.
I wouldn't count on a sensationalist TV show for any kind of accuracy. That sounds like a made-for-TV anecdote. I'm sure the Ravenel family owned slaves but so did almost every other prominent family in Charleston's history. It's a sad, ugly part of reality but much of Charleston was built on and depended on slave labor. All of the historic plantations ran on slave labor. You're not really going to avoid places with a slave history if you want to see much of historic Charleston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
Check out the Angel Oak on John's Island.
+1 Again. Earlier this year I was driving NY clients around Johns Island walking tracts of land. Late morning we were going by Angel Oak and I said, "We're going to take a break to visit this tree." I think they thought I was crazy but they were duly impressed once they saw it. And they're still clients even though I might be crazy...

There's plenty of good suggestions covered here and a lot are weather dependent. If you want just an hour or two of relaxing looking at historic houses, pick a mid afternoon and start walking down Church St somewhere below Broad St. Meander around any alleys that strike your fancy and ogle the houses. Respect privacy of course but there's some pretty impressive gardens to view through gates and entryways.

Old 12-18-2021, 05:10 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,531,392 times
Quote:
We just took the boat tour to Ft. Sumpter from Mt Pleasant yesterday. It was a gorgeous sunny day, and the view getting to the fort was enjoyable. Watching the pelicans and dolphins was amusing, too. The fort itself is just ok. If you do this on a cold or cloudy day, you will not enjoy it much.

If you enjoy military history, you can tour the two ships at Patriots Point.
Ft Sumter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area