Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 10:41 AM

882 posts, read 1,463,335 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I eat everything, but mrs soulsea is a vegetarian ... we go to all kinds of restaurants including steakhouses, and she's always very good about ordering from the appetizer and sides sections of the menu where there's a lot she likes and for her to choose from. Obviously some types of restaurants are easier than others for her, for example when we go to eat Italian, Greek, Indian, or Chinese food there are many vegetarian dishes as part of the cuisine traditions.

We're going to be in Charleston for three nights in a couple of weeks and I have already made reservations in a couple of highly recommended restaurants in Charleston's historic district that focus in what one might call 'southern fusion' cuisine, where once more she will sacrifice and order from the appetizer and side menus.

But on one night I would like to take her somewhere where the vegetarian cuisine stands on its own, whilst retaining southern food tradition ... meaning I don't want to take her to an Italian restaurant. It doesn't have to be a vegetarian only restaurant, just one where she will have more choices.

Is there such a place? And if it matters, we are equally willing to go to an expensive restaurant as we are willing to go to a dive, provided the food is excellent.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 10:45 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,279,493 times
Puree

http://thinkpuree.com/

Old 11-01-2013, 11:27 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Puree is not open for dinner is it? Five Loaves has two entrees that are vegetarian.

I'm not sure that visiting one of the farm to table, nationally recognized restaurants would be suffering to order appetizers or sides from. You might even call ahead and see if they would prepare some kind of 'entree'. Check out Fig, Husk, The Grocery, McCradys, Macintosh, Two Boroughs Larder

Old 11-01-2013, 11:33 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,279,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Puree is not open for dinner is it? Five Loaves has two entrees that are vegetarian.
is your mouse clicker broken?

Old 11-01-2013, 11:43 AM

288 posts, read 494,436 times
Black Bean Co just opened a new location in West Ashley, and they have an excellent selection of vegetarian/vegan options.

Saffron Cafe and Bakery has good vegetarian options too.

Since you said no Italian, you usually still have a safe bet on finding vegetarian options at other ethnic restaurants, like Thai, Japanese, or Indian.

Basil for Thai downtown isn't a bad option, and there is a new Thai place in downtown Summerville that is supposedly good, but I haven't tried it yet. There are a couple good dive Indian places around, but I can't recall the name of the most popular, maybe someone else on here could?

For your average sushi or Japanese cuisine, there's a couple hibachi places in pretty much every area around Charleston (for better or worse...). In the Summerville/West Ashley area we prefer Bushidos.

Source: my wife and I have been on again off again vegan/vegetarians for the better part of two years.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I'm not sure that visiting one of the farm to table, nationally recognized restaurants would be suffering to order appetizers or sides from. You might even call ahead and see if they would prepare some kind of 'entree'. Check out Fig, Husk, The Grocery, McCradys, Macintosh, Two Boroughs Larder
Mmm, these are all restaurants I have investigated before ... I could practically live in them but the choices are very limited for a vegetarian. The other two restaurants were going to are very similar to the above so I really wanted something with a little more vegetarian variety.

----------------------------

@ Robynn: Thanks for that, it's going on the short list.

When they say cheddar or sausage burger on their menu, are they actual organic meat burgers or a vegetarian creations?

Old 11-01-2013, 02:03 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Vegetarian creations.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:29 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,651 times
Puree is very expensive and imho, overrated. Here are some that I really like that are cheaper . These are all over Charleston because I live here so some are downtown and some aren't, some are little local chains too.

Also, these have a lot for meat-eaters too. I don't think Puree has much to offer if someone in the party wants meat.

* Brown Dog Deli
* Saffron
* Fast and French/G&M
* Ladle's Soups
* Black Bean Cafe
* Five Loaves
* Sesame Burgers
* Roly Poly (West Ashley)
* Zen Asian Fusion (West Ashley)
* Red Orchid (West Ashley)
* Bollywood Cafe (N. Charleston)
* Mex 1 Coastal Cantina (West Ashley)

Old 11-01-2013, 04:37 PM

Thanks ProudPatriot07 and everyone else ... your suggestions are very much appreciated.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:01 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,592,567 times
At Mama Brown's in Mt. Pleasant you can get a lot of sides that are southern and make a meal of it.

Mamma Brown's BBQ | Mount Pleasant, SC

Sticky fingers has a meal that is just made up of sides. It has been a couple months since I have been there, but I used to get it quite often when I used to meet a former co-worker there a couple times a month.

https://www.stickyfingers.com/Webpag...CategoryId=114

Burton's Grill in Mount Pleasant has a small vegetarian menu. I have had the corn risotto and it was very good.

» Mt. Pleasant, SC

Black Bean is my absolute favorite place for lunch.

BlackBeanCo.com | Energy Food, Natural Organic Health Food, Vegan Food, Online Food Ordering | Charleston, South Carolina

I really like the falafel dishes at Tabbuli.

tabbuli ? lunch + dinner menu ? Charleston's authentic Mediterranean, Middle Eastern & American restaurant located just across from the Charleston Cruise Terminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area