Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2023, 05:23 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
There’s a big article today in The Post and Courier about how this growth has contributed to the housing crunch. It says middle class people are being forced to move to the rural areas of metros because of cost. NIMBY’s have contributed to the crisis as well.
This is a common problem whenever an area rapidly increases in value whether it's a neighborhood or a metropolitan area. It's basically gentrification, just in this case over a broader area than we normally think of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Overflow from the NC side of the Charlotte metro to the SC side of the Charlotte metro (York and Lancaster Counties) has typically been the biggest flow from NC -> SC. York and Lancaster have relatively new homes at affordable price points with good school districts that are popular with young families. Mecklenburg County is also largely built out, so for people that want a new construction home and their job is on the southern half of the metro area, South Carolina side of the border is one of the best options. It is only a 12 mile drive from the Fort Mill area to Uptown Charlotte and even shorter drive to the Ballantyne area office complex (~4 miles).
I'm sure that counts for some of the NC to SC migration but how much is hard to quantify. I know I've read of teachers specifically who choose to live in SC where the COL is cheaper but work in NC schools where the compensation is higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
That and the infrastructure - roads, police, fire, EMT, schools, etc. can't keep up with the growth so explosive growth isn't a great thing.
This is definitely true and not unique to Charleston. At least they have been taking some of the extra property tax money and using it to upgrade a lot of the schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I'm guessing there's a lot of people from GA and NC moving to SC, but also in the reverse direction. Makes sense to have a lot of movement between adjacent states, especially if there's no many geographic barriers and several metropolitan areas straddling state boundaries.
That does make sense and I'm sure goes on constantly but from what I gather the article is saying, it's somewhat unbalanced this year at least. More folks coming into SC from NC than going the other way.

Whatever the reasons, It's a two-edged sword that has brought a lot of both positive and negative change in the 40 years I've been here. It doesn't seem to be stopping either.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2023, 11:21 AM

12,889 posts, read 18,741,137 times
SC cities need higher-density housing to create a glut that would help bring down housing costs, and urban NIMBYs’ ability to dictate what gets built where needs to end. Updated zoning should help. St. George, Holly Hill, Eutawville, etc., don’t want to be the new suburbs.

Old 12-24-2023, 11:57 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,351,036 times
Because that's what SC residents want is more high density housing and more people migrating here... not so much.

Old 12-24-2023, 02:21 PM

12,889 posts, read 18,741,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Because that's what SC residents want is more high density housing and more people migrating here... not so much.
People are going to migrate here, like it or not. The typical South Carolinian doesn’t get the concept of living in high-density neighborhoods, leaving the car parked and walking to nearby amenities, because those types of neighborhoods in SC are so few and far between. They typically think the only scenarios possible are sitting in traffic in sprawling communities or stopping people from moving to the area. Just because we need more housing in denser areas doesn’t mean those who want to live in suburbs with ordinances that block any more housing from being built there can’t continue to opt for that lifestyle.

Old 12-24-2023, 06:45 PM

People are moving here so they don't have to live in high density housing so they have have a yard and some space.

Old 12-24-2023, 06:48 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,854,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
I can't figure out the NC to SC part of the data. It would be helpful to be able to drill down and figure out where folks are moving from in NC. SC is less expensive but it's not like the difference between CA and SC. Not sure if I can see economics being the big driver there unless it's about the job market. So much manufacturing coming into SC might be a factor.
Could be that people who are able to work remote would prefer to not pay the NC State income tax.

Certain parts of NC have become VERY expensive, and I could see NC empty-nesters wanting to bail to a cheaper area.

Personally, I would not leave the part of NC in which I live for ANY part of SC, with the exception of possibly Charleston. But Charleston has its own issues.

Old 12-25-2023, 06:39 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,856 times
Quote:
People are moving here so they don't have to live in high density housing so they have have a yard and some space.
Doubt that. There are yards in every state.

Old 12-25-2023, 11:14 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,692,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Could be that people who are able to work remote would prefer to not pay the NC State income tax.

Certain parts of NC have become VERY expensive, and I could see NC empty-nesters wanting to bail to a cheaper area.

Personally, I would not leave the part of NC in which I live for ANY part of SC, with the exception of possibly Charleston. But Charleston has its own issues.
I doubt it would be income tax any longer for remote work... North Carolina has been bringing down the income tax rates and now has a flat 4.75% income tax while South Carolina has three tax brackets, and income over $16,040 is taxed at 6.5%. For most households, NC should be slightly less and significantly less if you make six figures at 4.75% where you'd have most of your income in the 6.5% bracket in South Carolina.

For example, a household with taxable income of $80,000 would pay $4,750 in South Carolina and $3,800 in North Carolina for 2023.

Old 12-25-2023, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Doubt that. There are yards in every state.

My point being that people aren't moving here seeking high density housing to live in. When we look at the areas around here that have had the highest amount of growth, it's been very heavily slanted to the suburbs with the desire for single family detached homes.

Old 12-26-2023, 07:15 AM

309 posts, read 257,547 times
Quote:
My point being that people aren't moving here seeking high density housing to live in. When we look at the areas around here that have had the highest amount of growth, it's been very heavily slanted to the suburbs with the desire for single family detached homes.
The flip side is that this is the cause of traffic. People are having to move further and further away from downtown, thus making their commute longer and adding more traffic. Additionally, we aren't seeing the retail development near these new neighborhoods.

Having designated areas of mixed use higher density would help (for example: Citadel Mall). Adding some multiplex housing into existing neighborhoods would also help.

Additionally, we should de-centralize the business district. I mean, most people seem to drive with downtown or to Daniel Island to get to their jobs. Bring in more office space to places like West Ashley, Mt. Pleasant, and James Island. This won't eliminate traffic, but it would shorten people's trips.

Higher density doesn't have to come at the expense of single-family homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area