Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2008, 02:10 PM

120 posts, read 402,048 times

Advertisements

I am taking my family to Hilton Head, SC this September for some rest and relaxation. We have NOT visited the area previously. We have agreed to rent a condo located at 47 Ocean Breeze -- "South Forest Beach stretches along the Atlantic Ocean between Shipyard and Sea Pines Plantations."

With that in mind, I have several questions: Is anyone familiar with the area? How far away is the beach (drive / walk)? If I need to drive to the beach, is there parking available (cost)? What is the beach like (sand / water)? Will there be many other beach-goers in mid-September? What will the weather be like? Do many people take their dogs to the beach? What is the nearest golf course like (rates)? Are there any "adult" activities, pubs, restaurants, that you would recommend for a night out with my wife alone?

ANY information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated--Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ABCDom; 06-18-2008 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: The copy and paste didn't work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 05:51 AM

Anyone? Please...

Old 06-26-2008, 11:44 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,615 times
Default R&r @ Hh

First, how old are the family members? My early teen kids found HH "boring" in that there was no honky tonk area as in Myrtle Beach. However, once we went kayaking, they fell in love with all the island is about: nature. I don't know the address you've rented but if at all "far" from the beach, rent bikes. Bike paths are abundant and take you thru great spaces. In fact, they're almost as abundant as golf courses! Shipyard Plantation itself has a golf course for about $85 a morning round. You may do better buying a package if you play daily and want to experience different HH courses HH is very self-contained & I can't recall ever paying for parking anywhere. Mid-September will still have beach goers since the water off HH stays much warmer than even the Charleston islands. But it's more of a lull time before the snowbirds come but after the families with children have left. Rest & relaxation it is!

Old 06-26-2008, 12:34 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCDom View Post
I am taking my family to Hilton Head, SC this September for some rest and relaxation. We have NOT visited the area previously. We have agreed to rent a condo located at 47 Ocean Breeze -- "South Forest Beach stretches along the Atlantic Ocean between Shipyard and Sea Pines Plantations."

With that in mind, I have several questions: Is anyone familiar with the area? How far away is the beach (drive / walk)? If I need to drive to the beach, is there parking available (cost)? What is the beach like (sand / water)? Will there be many other beach-goers in mid-September? What will the weather be like? Do many people take their dogs to the beach? What is the nearest golf course like (rates)? Are there any "adult" activities, pubs, restaurants, that you would recommend for a night out with my wife alone?

ANY information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated--Thanks in advance.
I am familiar with South Forest Beach but not that address. South Forest Beach is nice. My guess is a few blocks away.

The beach is nice and the weather is usually nice in September - warm with warm water.

Golf courses are all around Hilton Head. There are some good restaurants - don't have time to list right now.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:21 PM

8 posts, read 22,552 times
Default Hilton Head Vacation

South Forest beach runs parallel to the beach. There are hotels/ condos right on the beach then South Forest Beach. It isn't far, but I don't recall where the path is to get past the condos and hotels that gives access to the beach. You may have to go down a ways. I would rent bikes for sure. There are golf courses everywhere; I don't know specific cost. 211 Park in Park Plaza is a great adult wine bar and bistro. The beaches are still pretty crowded in September. Let me know how old your children are, and I can recomend specific activities.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:28 AM

First of all, I'd like to thank all of you for your kind responses...I didn't think that I'd hear from anyone! Currently, my wife is pregnant with our first child, so it will only be my wife, a newborn, two dogs, and I. I sincerely appreciate all of the replies and look forward to visiting the area.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:30 PM

91 posts, read 378,627 times
You might repost in the general board for South Carolina rather than Charleston.
Also try the address in google maps. Then click on ariel view. I would also google Hilton Head and HHI events to see what is going on when you are there. Do more google research and you will find a lot of restaurants and interesting places.
Its a great place. You will be amazed.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,837 times
My family of 4 and our large dog just returned from renting 47 Ocean Breeze. You will find the villa is very nice and well appointed. Swimming pool is close enough to see the kids swimming and call to them when dinner's ready. You'll need to get staples as the fridge was clean when we arrived. The complex is very lush-look for turtles in the lagoon. Nothing but positive things to say about the place.

We biked and rode to the beach, depending on whether the dog was coming. % minute bike ride and 10 minute walk to the beach. The nearest posted public access is Alder Beach which is south of the large Marriott. We used a smaller entrance at the north end of the Marriott property-its like a long path between properties. I agree with the other poster on getting bikes. Its a much better way to get to nearby Coligny and other spots than driving. Riding on the beach is very easy on the hard sand. Beaches are very sandy with no broken shells. Saw plenty of dolphin right from the beach and the surf was never rough. Also saw plenty of alligators as we rode around the island.

Exploring food, shopping, etc is helped as the rental company leaves several good brochures, literature, maps in a welcome package. Didn't have a bad meal or Ice Cream at any Coligny shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area