Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 04:38 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,044,199 times

Advertisements

Not really that much further from the beach. I think we have timed it at 8 - 11 minutes from Hamlin entrance to IOP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 06:15 PM

547 posts, read 1,197,277 times
1. Property taxes (I believe Seaside will be a bit less)
2. Storm vulnerability (DI is safer IMO)
3. Insurance costs and requirements (DI should be less)
4. Friendly neighbors (love it here, still pinching myself)
5. Local ammenities: restaurants, shopping, pool conditions, biking and walking (DI by far)

Who wins in each category?

Old 08-06-2009, 09:58 AM

32 posts, read 89,952 times
Thanks for the feedback and input. I gather you live on DI? Did you consider Seaside Farms at all? If so, were there any negitives?

We like DI very much, however it is a litttle furthur from the beach than we want, but, we would be willing to compromise that if the things we used everyday were more convienient, by that I mean a good gym with plenty of spin classes and a robust free weight area. Seems that the closest gym that fits that criteria is 9 miles away in Mt. Pleasant which is Eco Fitness. Am I missing a real good one that is closer? This is important to us because we feel that if it's not close, we won't use it. Also, from what I see, the grocery store on DI is Publix, right? I like Publix, but to me it's very expensive, so I would have to head into Mt. Pleasant to shop for groceries as well. It's good to hear that the neighbors are friendly, that's important to us as well since we are both very social. We love Charleston, are here only 2 years from the Boston area, we feel we made the right choice in moving to this area, however, we have come to realize that we are too far into suburbia, we live in a gated golf community in North Charleston, lovely homes, beautiful course, but we don't play golf and while the neighbors are nice, they are either retired and playing golf with their same demographic, or, they are young professionals both working with children and do not have time in their lives for much more. We are in the middle demographic, empty nesters, but very active and we relate better to people that are our age or younger.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:46 AM

547 posts, read 1,197,277 times
didnt really consider Seaside...I believe there is a ES24 right on the island that you could walk to (depending on where you buy). Publix is great but there is also a HT right down the street at Long Point Rd. Yes we do love it here...lots of backyard BBQ's and neighborhood "get-to-gethers" so the social atmosphere is very nice. What price point do you want to stay within?

Old 08-06-2009, 01:28 PM

32 posts, read 89,952 times
We are looking to downsize to about $400K knowing that we will probably pay more for taxes and insurance if it is DI or MT P south of 41. We have seen some nice 2,000sq ft homes and condos on DI in that price range. Don't need a lot of yard, just enough for our 2 little doggies so we would even consider a condo if it was the right situation.

Besides POA?HOA fees on DI, are there any other fees such as social resident fees, ect.? that you pay? What is the POA fee yearly?

appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Old 08-06-2009, 02:35 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,044,199 times
Amenities -- more on Daniel's Island -- I don't think so. At Seaside you are five minutes from the Town Center with all kinds of shopping (Dillards, Belks, Old Navy, blah, blah....) You are two minutes from the Target, the Pig. Restaurants -- Downtown, Shem Creek, IOP restaurants, The Old Village of Mount Pleasant are all closer at Seaside. Bike riding -- beautiful ride over the IOP to the beach area.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:41 PM

817 posts, read 2,005,383 times
Default thought to toss in my 2 cents

Hi 2DGMom...

Have you visited Mt Pleasant, Daniels Is as of yet ?
I searched your post, but did not search any previous posts you might have posted.

I drove down for a close-up visit in June.
Set on MP but had to see DI for myself... as the people who live there rave about it.. so had to check it out for myself.

Simply.. and this is just my opinion for our interests...
DI did not do anything for me.
The houses are on top of each other... well the backyards I mean.
Yes there are other areas and price points I did not see and it could be different... but for our price point, same as yours... did not like what I saw. As I said, backyards are right on top of each other... and for my backyard I would like some privacy and some more space.

People living in DI tell me they know they gave up their plot size for the shot of living in DI. They gladly mow less lawn and less sprucing up with the smaller plot of land and are happy with that.

But besides the lack of plot size.. I did not care for the shopping there. Just did not have a 'homey feel' for me.

Again, those that choose DI love it there and great for them. Different people different things that is all.. makes the world go round

Just my opinion 2DGMom

We choose MP for the location... more centrally located, closer to the beaches and marina.. and for the school system, as I know does not concern you with older children. I like the numerous neighborhoods/developments as well... a nice mixture of everything.

DI to me is like a gated community.. as Dunes West.

So if you have not, well then of course pay a personal visit to see.

As far as Seaside Farms... that is one developement I did not drive through and sorry I missed it. Been to so many others on my drive arounds, Brickyard, Rivertowne, Hamlin, Old Villiage, Cooper, Belle Harbour, Darrell Creek, Park West, Dunes West, Carolina National, up and down Matthis Ferry Rd and its developements, up and down Rifle Ridge Rd and its developements as well, Downtown Charleston and easily a dozen others I cannot think of right now.

Check out my posting if it may possibly help ya

Michael

Another Yankee (Brooklyn, NY) moving South to Charleston, with some questions1

Old 08-06-2009, 04:08 PM

12 posts, read 33,905 times
We just bought is Seaside farms. We're moving from Kansas and can't wait to get settled in. We did get insurance shock, but were able to get a decent rate after shopping around. DI felt more upscale, but that isn't what we were looking for. I've got parents on the Isle of Palms and in-laws in Charleston national so the proximity of seaside probably jaded my view. got more house and yard for my 2 sons too.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:02 PM

817 posts, read 2,005,383 times
Hi FM,

Besides the relatives on IOP and Chas Natl. any other reason you went for Seaside Farms ?

I am simply curious as I missed it on my 'fact finding' trip in June.

Pretty sure we want west of 17... but parts of Hamlin looked nice.. though as someone commented.. looks 'manufacured'.

Saw other developements along Rifle Ridge Rd.. simply did not care for.. but missed Seaside.

So curious to feedback from Seaside perspective

Michael
Another Yankee (Brooklyn, NY) moving South to Charleston, with some questions1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritmaker View Post
We just bought is Seaside farms. We're moving from Kansas and can't wait to get settled in. We did get insurance shock, but were able to get a decent rate after shopping around. DI felt more upscale, but that isn't what we were looking for. I've got parents on the Isle of Palms and in-laws in Charleston national so the proximity of seaside probably jaded my view. got more house and yard for my 2 sons too.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:20 PM

3 posts, read 26,028 times
Default 2dogsmom x 2

WELL.......2dogsmom has described my situation to a tee. My wife and I are in out low 50's and extremely active. We love the beach (and intercoastal in general). Recently visited DI but were a bit turned off by prices for "water" views. Also, could care less about golf communities (although I love the game) and would prefer intercoastal or tidal water views for kayak fishing, etc. Eagerly await future posts regarding this subject if any of you are willing. Thanks loads!

Seniorguhl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area