Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 05:28 PM

210 posts, read 749,310 times

Advertisements

What's with the room above the garage?

I'm thinking maybe teenagers use it? But, then do people not want to keep an eye on what teenagers are doing when under their own roof?

I keep imagining young kids walking outside in their pj's, across the yard, to the playroom? Then, I think NOT.

Is it for the "home office" when there is already a "study" in the house?

Is it for watching tv? I somehow don't see getting ready for bed, and hiking across the concrete to relax, and then walking on back to the house?

What am I missing? My husband swears it's made for the dreadful mother n' laws. I can't imagine he's talking about mine.

And what about the detached garage thing? If I buy a house with one of these, do I need to walk across my yard to get to the second fridge that holds the bottled waters and sodas? Or am I just supposed to send my husband?

Anyone else see a benefit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 06:25 PM

394 posts, read 1,050,108 times
I think I've seen them used as offices -perhaps for people who work from home or maybe as art studios for the painter in the family. If it includes a bath, it would be good for guests.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:54 PM

17 posts, read 88,968 times
I think the main idea of having a detached garage is for aesthetic purposes, so that you don't see the garage from the street view. I, however, tend to agree with you in the fact that, if it's raining, I don't want to have to run from garage to house with my groceries...pretty or not, it's a garage.

Same goes with the bedroom above a detached garage that's included in the bedroom count. I'm confused too ..the only use I could see would be an office or guest suite, not an additional bedroom to be used on a daily basis. Maybe I'm missing something too.....hmmmm?

Old 01-26-2009, 08:12 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,084,371 times
It's where men go to be manly. You know, drink beer, play darts, tell dirty jokes, watch football, eat hot wings, etc., with the occasional beating of the chest and/or fist bump/high five.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:47 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,685,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
It's where men go to be manly. You know, drink beer, play darts, tell dirty jokes, watch football, eat hot wings, etc., with the occasional beating of the chest and/or fist bump/high five.
Also known as the "dog house" for when men get into trouble.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:50 AM

459 posts, read 1,643,666 times
My Dad has used his as an office for 30 years. Mine is home to my computer and my pool table. If the wife is watching Reality TV, I scoot upstairs "into the cave". I have TV, the internet, a pool table and a couch. If the bathroom and the refrigerator were not downstairs...

Old 01-27-2009, 05:47 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,616,063 times
The man room as we call it. The one room in the whole house the man actually owns. ha ha ha

Old 01-27-2009, 06:11 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,343,061 times
We call it the estrogen free zone.....

Old 01-27-2009, 08:23 AM

210 posts, read 749,310 times
So the room above the detached garage isn't for the mother n' law afterall, but rather the man of the house? Interesting.

I had just always thought the man's room was that small place inside the main dwelling with the tp roller and the magazines!!! Boy, have you people graduated!!!

And for this manly room, how much would you be willing to pay? How do you think it will help you when it comes to that sad day you have to part with it and sell it to another "manly-man"?

Do you think your detached garage will help you or hurt you when you go to sell that one day as well too?

Old 01-27-2009, 08:33 AM

890 posts, read 4,329,798 times
I think that detached garages look nice in the right setting, I just don't find them very practical. Personally would not like to have one for the same reasons that was pointed out about the groceries and the rain. We looked at a home on Sunday with a detached garage and that was the first thing that came to my mind. Not to mention they are usually on the rear of the home and down an alley which I am not crazy about, as opposed to the side or the front and you will always have to enter through the back door. In the case of the home we were looking at it meant going in and out of a screened in porch first. Not very convenient when your hands are full. It also means having to leave the screened in porch unlocked every time you leave.

Last edited by scjj; 01-27-2009 at 09:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area