Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 07:03 PM

3 posts, read 6,015 times

Advertisements

I am a single parent of a girl age 8 hoping to move from Salt Lake City, Utah to Charleston within the year.

It is my dream to live close to the ocean.

I am interested in any advice as far as where to live in Charleston on a budget to buy a condo or small home for around 200,000.

What hospitals to work/schools(third grade for my daughter) are good, etc.

I'm planning on vacationing there the second week of June for a week.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 07:24 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,779,925 times
If you have been reading the posts in this forum recently you will see that there is a difference of opinion as to whether someone should purchase or rent a home given the current real estate market. If you are considering relocating to the Charleston area and want to "live close to the ocean", your decision as where to live will depend upon how close to the ocean you want to be in terms of travel time. Some of the popular options in the area are Mt. Pleasant and Summerville. Due to the higher costs of housing in the town of Mt. Pleasant (adjacent to the beach), you would have few single family housing options around $200,000. However, you would have a fairly good selection in nice condos in the area in this price range. Your would have a number of nice single family home options in the Summerville area, as well as less costly rentals should you decide to go that route as a number of posters to this forum have recommended. Mt. Pleasant is certainly more convenient to the beach than Summerville, but at a higher cost. If you are visiting the area in June I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with Mt. Pleasant and Summerville and possibly James Island. Each area has a different feel and different things to offer. There are a number of hospitals and medical facilities in the area.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:36 PM

3 posts, read 6,015 times
thanks that helped a lot.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:00 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,331,204 times
There are also some rather nice very affordable neighborhoods in North Charleston inspite of what people who do not live there are saying.
Coosaw Creek, Wescott,Cedar Grove and Whitehall to name a few are worth checking out ,all within 30 minutes drive from downtown Charleston .

Old 01-28-2009, 11:43 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,346,215 times
Summerville is nice also, and has the better schools overall.

Summerville Medical center is a Tridest Hospital I think...

RNs are always in high demand, but some of the government hospitals are cutting back so be careful.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:11 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,435,097 times
Since you have a school age daughter, I would check out Summerville or Mount Pleasant. I moved here when my daughters were 7 and 12 and they fit in easily. I have never visited Utah, but have been around the country a little ( x was military) and this is my favorite place to live so far.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:02 PM

5,286 posts, read 6,226,016 times
I think if you want to be near the ocean and on a bit of a budget you should look at James Island. It's near Folly Beach and very convenient to downtown. Stiles Point and Harbor View Elementaries in particular are well regarded. The high school on James Island is now a charter school and a couple of my friends in education think that will really help it (along with the fact that it is not as overcrowded as the Mt Pleasant and Summerville area high schools.)

As always- find a job before moving and it might not be a bad idea to do a 6 month to 1 year rental to get a feel for the area before buying. It will also let you figure out how much traffic you are willing to put up with because some areas of Mt Pleasant, Summerville and West Ashley in particular have brutal traffic problems.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:17 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,346,215 times
DD2 just opened a new High School to reduce the crowding at SSHS and Fort Dorchester.

I don't know what you call Brutal Traffic, but I get from Summerville to Huger in 45min, unless there is a accident or some other fowl up on the interstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area