Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 9,930 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am moving to Charleston in a couple of months or so. I will be working at MUSC and was thinking about living somewhere close so that I could bike to work. Is it safe to ride your bike at peak hour (or non-peak hour) from James Island, West Ashley or Mt Pleasant? Can you ride your bike on the sidewalk, and if not, what is the traffic like on the road, will you get run over? How about on the peninsula? Thanks in advance for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 04:51 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
If you live on the peninsula you could probably bike to work at any time once you learned the roads and neighbor hoods not to bike on/through.

The Connector and hwy 17 are not bike friendly.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:37 AM

9 posts, read 33,039 times
Hi Bturt, As a fellow biking/cycling-lover who lives in downtown Charleston, I can tell you that it is very easy to get anywhere on the Peninsula. From end to end it is only about 3.5 miles with lots of different neighborhoods to choose from and MUSC smack dab in the middle. Many people who work at MUSC live in the Wagener Terrace area which is north of MUSC and has great homes/bungalows built in the 40s and 50s. I have ridden from downtown to all the other areas in Charleston and don't find it to be too difficult, particularly with the great new bridge and bike lane into Mt. Pleasant. Going to West Ashley and James Island is a bit more difficult but definitely doable. They have a bike lane in the works connecting the West Ashley Greenway to downtown, but it will be awhile before it is complete. I think it mostly depends on your comfort level. Where are you moving from? I'd be happy to help you find a neighborhood with a bike-friendly way to work.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:28 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
The bridge to Mt Pleasant was built with bike and running/walking lanes separated from auto traffic- however that puts you on the opposite side of the peninsula from Mt Pleasant. Most of the housing in Mt Pleasant is also a good ditance frome the bridge.

I've seen people running/biking the draw bridge that goes from downtown to West Ashley (there are two one way bridges) but that strip of raised sidewalk is a little narrow. People constantly run/bike the James Island connector but there is absolutely no separation between cars and cyclists/runners. On James Island you'll also want to watch for which bridges you'd need to cross to get to the connector.

The point about the Wagner Terrace/Hampton Park area is pretty true. Someone is always running/biking in that area.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:26 PM

416 posts, read 1,633,222 times
i see alot of bikes out on james island. but the island has such narrow and none exisitant bike lanes. seems dangerous!

Old 02-06-2009, 10:08 PM

38 posts, read 105,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
If you live on the peninsula you could probably bike to work at any time once you learned the roads and neighbor hoods not to bike on/through.

The Connector and hwy 17 are not bike friendly.
I disagree.

If your a avid cyclist, then you'll find the James Island connector like any major road ridden before. It has a really large sholder, and the traffic is just fast traffic. Though as I came to learn here in Charleston, you need fatter touring tires on your commuite bike, or you'll get flats all the time.

As for ridding downtown, there is no neighboorhood to worry to much about, this isn't NYC.

I've done many epic rides all around charleston. I've ridden every major road in town, Rivers, Dochester, meeting, 17, ALL of them. You have to get far more agressive as a ridder when you ride around here, but other than that, its very do-a-ble. I would do Mount-P just over the bridge, or downtown if you want to ride your bike to school, James Island would be my third pick. good luck!!

Old 02-07-2009, 07:37 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
[quote=airman_verde04;7359033]As for ridding downtown, there is no neighboorhood to worry to much about, this isn't NYC. [quote]

Now this I disagree with, lets see you go ride you bike down America Street in your skintight bicycle shorts, you had better not have to stop...

Old 02-07-2009, 02:07 PM

38 posts, read 105,115 times
[quote=OleTomCat;7361477][quote=airman_verde04;7359033]As for ridding downtown, there is no neighboorhood to worry to much about, this isn't NYC.
Quote:

Now this I disagree with, lets see you go ride you bike down America Street in your skintight bicycle shorts, you had better not have to stop...
well, if your commuting, your spandex usually stays at home, and I guess I will clarify myself to the person who assumes you always wear spandex when cycling, "as for ridding downtown, there is no neighborhood to worry to much about during the day." but really, ever. If your like me, I don't waist to much time at stop signs or red lights on my bike anyways, so you'll roll right through the ghetto long before anyone notices.

anyways, bturt, what you'll also find downtown, and from what I'm getting from pretty much all my biking buddies who live else where, old school road frames are becoming super popular in the urban areas, and single speed fixed bikes are the trend for all the young cool cats of the cycling world. You'll see a good deal of them downtown, I've sold some parts to guys needed to fix up there track bike for the morning commute to school. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area