Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 07:04 AM

459 posts, read 1,643,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
This is news to me, I thought all of them were alcohol free.
The beach is in Colleton County... and I think this has a lot to do with the differing regulations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 08:29 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,000,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
For a weekend getaway, Edisto is my favorite beach around because it is away from it all. I would look online at cabins and beach houses then, if possible, go down and check them out before renting. One friend of mine from NC found one online, it looked great, then when they come down to stay there, it smelled so musty and moldy that they couldn't hardly sleep there. They couldn't get their money back, so just kept windows opened and sprayed lots of air freshener. I have a friend at school whose family owns a beach house on Edisto but I don't know if they rent it out or not...even if not, I'm sure they may have a good recommendation for a rental. I'll try to remember to ask tomorrow...
Thanks SC! My point exactly! We want to escape...from phones, traffic, everyday life. That's my biggest concern is the musty old house! I had No idea they rent cabins?? Cool...
If its not too far of a drive, I would like to check out some of the houses (prior) to paying the non-refun deposit. How far you think it is from Sville to Edisto?

AND OTC - I will keep the coldies in a Koozie

Old 02-05-2009, 09:55 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,336,792 times
It is about an hour and a half, take 165 out of town that way you avoid all the interstate and DT Charleston issues.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:45 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,768,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
I want to book a trip to Edisto for the wifey and I in September. Its our 10th year Anniv, we want a small escape and with so many uncertanties I think Edisto may be the place to go.

Anyone been? Can you recommend places to stay, things to do?

Thanks...
Do you want a place for a weekend or a whole week?

Old 02-05-2009, 08:41 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,768,168 times
I just got an answer from my friend at school: she and her husband co-own their house on Edisto with 6 other family members and it is used pretty much most of the year.

However, she highly recommended going through Atwood Agency to rent a house or cottage. She also said that September is a slow month so you should have no problem getting a place then and the prices should have gone down, since it's off-season.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:58 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,683,713 times
It's a slow month probably due to it's the height of hurricane season in Sept.. lol

Old 02-06-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvsdabeach View Post
It's a slow month probably due to it's the height of hurricane season in Sept.. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Do you want a place for a weekend or a whole week?
We are looking for like a Sun-Thurs deal, 4 or 5 nights. I will check out that site for homes. And yes I did notice the rates drop off considerably after labor day

Old 02-06-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvsdabeach View Post
Ironically, thats what screwed up our wedding 10yrs ago, Hurricane Floyd's approach. Soooo it totally wouldn't surprise me if it happens now on our 10th...

Old 02-07-2009, 07:24 AM

194 posts, read 748,952 times
Edisto is a great place to relax. You should make sure to drive out to Botany Bay Plantation (http://www.dnr.sc.gov/managed/wild/botany/description.html - broken link)and the Nature Center.
We have enjoyed our September stays and had good weather for the most part. We did not stay ocean front but there are many public beach access points.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:33 AM

459 posts, read 1,643,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
Ironically, thats what screwed up our wedding 10yrs ago, Hurricane Floyd's approach. Soooo it totally wouldn't surprise me if it happens now on our 10th...
Hey! I got married during a Tropical Storm in Mt Pleasant in 04. Helps trim down the guest list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area