Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 06:29 AM

84 posts, read 241,929 times

Advertisements

Hi, will be relocating hopefully soon to Mt. Pleasant, any thoughts on Bishop England High School.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 06:44 AM

870 posts, read 1,987,387 times
I went there. It's a good school.

The only real problem is that there is a good number of students there who come from families with money and they tend to be a bit on the snobby side-it's not a reason to stay away from the school but it's something your kids might have to put up with if you aren't as well off as some of the other families.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:55 AM

Techgeek...thanks for your feedback. Do many of the students come from Mt. Pleasant or Daniel Island? Do they generally go on to good colleges? What about school life....do you enjoy extra-curricular activities?

Old 02-10-2009, 06:58 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,430,197 times
My husband went there. The students come from all over the area. My husband lived on Isle Of palms and his nephews live on Sullivans Island and they go there. Actually when my husband went to BE it was downtown. The new campus is very nice. They offer all the athletics that public schools offer.

Bishop England HS

Last edited by beachme; 02-10-2009 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: add web site

Old 02-10-2009, 07:10 AM

It's nice to know that students come from all over...better chance to meet people!! The campus must be nice being on Daniel Island...I wonder how traffice is getting there from Mt. Pleasant.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:14 AM

Students come from all over Charleston. I knew a girl who lived in McClellenville (halfway up 17 between Mt. Pleasant and Georgetown). There are a lot from Mt. Pleasant as well.

As far as colleges some do some don't. Those that don't go to good colleges do so because they didn't work in high school (same as any school I guess) BE does it's best to prepare students for college. Some people even try to claim it's a feeder school for Notre Dame (I'm not making that up-a coach once told me that).

Extra curricular activities weren't my thing. I did do drama club for 2 1/2 years though. There are several sports teams if your kids are athletic they can play anything from football to golf. There's a debate team, French club, Spanish club, Science club, Student Council (though they never did much when I was there in the late 90's), the list goes on but you get the idea.

Overall school life wasn't bad. Almost everyone was able to find friends. Out of 200 kids in my class there was only one who ate lunch alone everyday and everyone started being nice to him after the Columbine thing (I kind of wish I was making that up).

They do their best to get you involved in something while you're there.

Don't know if any of them are still there but some of my favorite teachers were Mr. Provost (Religion), Mrs. Bull (Western Civ/Psychology), Coach Pace (Business), Mr. Kniffin (Computer Science), Mr. Allen (Spanish) and Mrs. Horton (English-even though I almost failed her class senior year).

She wasn't teaching there at the time but I know Ms. Curran from Jr High and she is an amazing teacher. She used to be a nun and I think Vice Principle at BE back in the 80's and now she teaches religion.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:15 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,430,197 times
Not sure, but I know my SIL drives them and picks them up everyday from SI. If you live in the Northern(?) part of Mount Pleasant ..Dunes West, Park West, Rivertowne, etc it should be easy off of Clements Ferry.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:17 AM

Thanks for all the input..I appreciate it. I think you are right....high school it what you make of it, just like anything. Sounds like you had a good experience there.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:22 AM

It's easy to get to. Just take 526 to the Daniel Island exit and go to the traffic light at Seven Farms and (I think) you turn left. Traffic shouldn't be too terrible going out that way in the morning.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:25 AM

Great, thanks! Now just have to get down there.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area