Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 02:15 PM

9 posts, read 12,728 times

Advertisements

My wife, 2 year old and unborn little girl are considering moving to the Charleston area to start a new church. We have been there a few times and love it but don't know enough about the different areas of Charleston.

We would be looking to start a church focused on 25-35 year olds who are married and have younger children. Does this sound like any particular area?

If it helps to know the style of the church: We would have "Coldplay/U2" style music, use lots of current media (i.e. up to date graphics, videos, etc) and teaching that is conversational instead of preachy.

I know this isn't a lot to go on but any feedback we can get would be helpful. There are a lot of little pockets of communities in the Charleston area and since we are local its hard to get a grasp on who is where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 05:37 PM

355 posts, read 1,453,963 times
Definitely sounds very cool.

I am absolutely not a church goer-at all. But, if I was that would be my kind of church.

Possibly downtown where you've got access to all the students or even West Ashley or James Island where it's a little laid back.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:44 PM

459 posts, read 1,648,831 times
You should come visit Seacoast before you take the plunge. They would be "direct competition"... for a lack of better term. My wife's church. Too progressive for me. Seacoast has a huge following in the area, with satellite "campuses" all over the Charleston area.

welcome to seacoast church

Old 02-12-2009, 07:52 PM

OrangeCountyGirl: Thanks for the encouragement! Maybe if we end up there we could change your mind about church I am very interested in Downtown. Are there young marrieds w/ young kids that live there? If so, what would be the best areas of Downtown for that group?

fqtravir: I am pretty familiar with Seacoast however I will definitely check it out. I am not a huge fan of massive churches and especially the satellite video teaching thing. So I am sure there are some people left in Charleston that feel the same way

Old 02-13-2009, 05:21 AM

308 posts, read 1,044,955 times
I think there are plenty that feel Seacoast is too big... I tried it once, by myself. Stood in the back (because that was the only place left) & didn't see anyone 'approachable' to talk to. I'm not at all implying they're not friendly; just too big to know who's there & who's new. I filled out a 'welcome' card and never heard back. Obviously there are thousands that love Seacoast, and that's great! I just hope there aren't many turned off by it like I was, that don't give another church a chance.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:55 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,449,017 times
I don't think there are married 20-30's with children downtown. College students yes. It's a very expensive area and unless they have or come from money most people that age can't afford million dollar + homes. JMHO

Old 02-13-2009, 06:17 PM

870 posts, read 1,995,244 times
I agree with beachme. Downtown is too expensive for newlywed young parents.

I'd say to look in Summerville, Goose Creek and parts of North Charleston.

One question though: why such a specific demographic? Forgive me but I've always thought churches should be (for lack of a better word) open to everyone.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:47 PM

Yeah, this church would also be open to everyone, just targeted at a specific group. I have learned that if you shoot for everyone you miss everyone. But if you shoot for a small target area and hit it then others might enjoy it as well.

I have heard that Downtown is mostly college students and very rich people. I will definitely look into the areas you are talking about.

Does anyone have an opinion on James Island? Are there younger married with young kids there? If so what are the predominant areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area