Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 01:25 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,616,063 times

Advertisements

Melba - It depends on the time of day. I used to go to the VA for my physical therapy from summerville 3 times per week for over 4 months. At lunch time I was there in about 25 minutes. In rush hour...NOT happening in under 30 min.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 03:26 PM

240 posts, read 443,490 times
Default VA Hospital

Melba, I'm visiting Charleston as we speak! It's Tuesday April 21, 2009. I went to the VA hospital this morning and I also have an interview with Trident Hospital nurse recruiter tomorrow morning. I also saw the Trident hospital location in Summerville today since we were looking at homes in Summerville. It's probably about a 40 minute commute from Summerville to VA even in rush hour traffic. I drove on route 26 this morning at 9am and it was congested but moving the whole time.

I'm a nurse and I'm looking for a nursing job here since we want to relocate from NJ. Please send me a direct message if you want anymore info. I'll be posting what I find out at city data during our visit. Hope this helps.

By the way, I really recommend Summerville. It's a great town. A small town feel and I really think most people would enjoy living there even if you had to deal with a 30 to 40 minute commute.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:27 PM

5,286 posts, read 6,223,341 times
I'd look West Ashley close in (specifically St Andrews or Orange Grove elementaries) or James Island. JI Elementary school is okay but Stiles Point and Harborview are good elementary schools.

To be honest a lot of people base what they think of entire school areas on the high schools. But by the time yours hits high school or even Middle School you will have probably moved and there is no telling what state any of the schools will be in then. I live in West Ashley but actually think James Island has some of the better schools in the area and isn't staring down the overcrowding problems you'll see in Mt Pleasant or Summerville. In this regard West Ashley is odd in that the better elementary schools don't feed into the better middle school- that always perplexes me.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:50 PM

846 posts, read 1,799,828 times
Go to James Island, as there are lots of good neighborhoods on the island, some more expensive than others. The schools are good (especially Stiles Point and Harbor View Elementary), the commute is 15 minutes or less no matter where you go, and $200-350K will get you a decent house in some of the good neighborhoods on the island.

West Ashley has good elementary schools, but the middle schools are poor, as they are frequently rated low.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:43 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,616,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 Camaro View Post
Melba, I'm visiting Charleston as we speak! It's Tuesday April 21, 2009. I went to the VA hospital this morning and I also have an interview with Trident Hospital nurse recruiter tomorrow morning. I also saw the Trident hospital location in Summerville today since we were looking at homes in Summerville. It's probably about a 40 minute commute from Summerville to VA even in rush hour traffic. I drove on route 26 this morning at 9am and it was congested but moving the whole time.

I'm a nurse and I'm looking for a nursing job here since we want to relocate from NJ. Please send me a direct message if you want anymore info. I'll be posting what I find out at city data during our visit. Hope this helps.

By the way, I really recommend Summerville. It's a great town. A small town feel and I really think most people would enjoy living there even if you had to deal with a 30 to 40 minute commute.
7am and 9 am on I26 are WORLDS apart. If you leave Summerville at 7ish you will not make the VA in 30/40 mins. You will be stuck between College Park Road and Aviation Ave for the better part of 30 minutes.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:31 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,434,328 times
Also try the commute home between 4-6. Parking lot.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:50 AM
c99

237 posts, read 1,043,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbaToast View Post
Does anyone know what the commute to the VA Hospital is from Summerville?
A lot of people on this board are partial to where they currently live, and I guess I'm no exception (I'm on James Island). I love the convenience of James Island to downtown. It's an easy commute to downtown. From where we live now it's about 6 miles and no stoplights on James Island. There are a few once you get downtown.

The trek to Summerville, Goose Creek, Hanahan or other northern burbs, especially if you have to travel during prime commute times, can very a lot, depending on traffic, road construction, and accidents. I am not a regular commuter, but did have to travel that route a few times during rush hour and it was pretty frustrating bumber-to-bumber experience. If your husband commutes off-peak hours, then maybe the commute wouldn't be so bad. From from DT to Summerville, I think it's about 20+ miles, depending on where one lives in Summerville. As a bonus, you'll definitely get more house for your money up there.

The easiest commute to the VA is James Island or close-in West Ashley. If you in either James Island or close-in West Ashely you could see your husband during lunch. I had a Realtor in Mt. Pleasant tell me that the commute from far out Mt. Pleasant (Rivertowne, Charleston National subdivision) that the commute is only 25 minutes. Maybe that is the case if you don't have to travel during peak time. Peak time is a whole different story. Plus, there are tons of stoplights and a lot of police officers to enforce the speed limit in Mt. Pleasant.

Schools in SC aren't great compared to northern schools, but I've heard that the Dorchester school district is one of the best. I've also heard that it is over-crowded. I've heard that Stiles Point Elementary is a good school on James Island (my son is young so no personal experience there yet). There are a number of good (expensive) private schools around the downtown area as well. I'd find a good third party school rating system and determine for yourself what is tolerable.

What about the notion of renting for a few months to get a feel for the commute and area? Charleston is very diverse and what may be ideal for one person the next person may completely dislike. Additionally, there are things one discovers when living here that may sway the decision.

Best wishes to you.
c99

Old 04-22-2009, 12:26 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,343,061 times
I live in Summerville but since the OP was more concerned with honest opinions on traffic I suggested the other areas, including James/John Islands and West Ashley.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:31 PM

14 posts, read 31,190 times
Default Question for 84 Camaro

I am in the same situation as you. I'm a nurse from New Jersey, single-mom with 2 kids, and am thinking of relocating to Charleston this summer. Have you started looking for employment? Also, any suggestions or advice about where to work or your experiences with prospective employers would be helpful. Good luck with plans to relocate.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:37 AM

3 posts, read 8,016 times
I work at the va hospital and live on johns island- takes me 20min and i am kinda out there on the island- problem is school system- would have to go to private school. There are areas in mt pleasant that are about 20 min. James island is another option- real estate market is great for buyers right now! Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area