Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 04:20 PM

3 posts, read 17,423 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am from Wisconsin and am contemplating a move to Charleston. I wouldn't move unless I landed a job first. I have read so many different threads on here about the pros and cons of living in the Charleston area and the one thing that seems to be the recurring theme is cost of living. Here's my question: Can a single gal make it in the Charleston area on a 45,000 dollar salary and live within her means? That is considerably less than what I make now. While I know the overall cost of living is supposed to be lower in the south, Charleston seems to be an exception. There have been many people saying that cost of living is too expensive, but I have no idea what they are making and if I can compare myself to them or not.
Thank you for any input you may have.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 06:06 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,916,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belldigits View Post
Hello All,

I am from Wisconsin and am contemplating a move to Charleston. I wouldn't move unless I landed a job first. I have read so many different threads on here about the pros and cons of living in the Charleston area and the one thing that seems to be the recurring theme is cost of living. Here's my question: Can a single gal make it in the Charleston area on a 45,000 dollar salary and live within her means? That is considerably less than what I make now. While I know the overall cost of living is supposed to be lower in the south, Charleston seems to be an exception. There have been many people saying that cost of living is too expensive, but I have no idea what they are making and if I can compare myself to them or not.
Thank you for any input you may have.

that is plenty, start off with an apartment at less than 1000$ a month and you will see how far yourmoney goes, it is plenty--we have teachers in the south

Old 04-21-2009, 07:57 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,775,196 times
I have been living on a teacher's salary here for 25 years and do just fine! Of course, I am a frugal person to start with and am not into luxury or extravagance.....but do own a large, comfortable home on an acre, another 1/2 acre lot, 10.5 acres in Virginia, and travel abroad every other year - not bad for a single (divorced...no alimony!) woman living on a teacher's salary. Just spend wisely......you can do just fine!

Old 04-21-2009, 09:23 PM

my teacher mother (retired) does the same, father is dead but she lives well on that. My sister, a non profit lawyer lives on a little more than that but also does well, own a nice home, has plenty.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:53 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,775,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
my teacher mother (retired) does the same, father is dead but she lives well on that. My sister, a non profit lawyer lives on a little more than that but also does well, own a nice home, has plenty.
Your mom and sister sound like my kind of gals....independent and wise!

I always say it depends on your priorities. I have single teacher friends who are always broke and will probably always rent unless they get married. Their first priorities are clothes, tanning salons, spa treatments, $100 + hair appointments every few weeks, manicures and pedicures, new car every 5 years, etc. To me, these spendings are all silly and extravagant (not to mention self-indulgent...but that's a matter of opinion, I guess...).

I'd rather have something to show for my money and a nice home to come home to and to share with family and friends. My car is 10 years old, but looks brand new because I keep it maintained and clean....I have never paid more than $30 to have my hair done and it always looks nice.... buy only a few outfits per year.....never eat out more than once a week and sometimes not even that...make my own coffee and get movies from the library..... that kind of thing. OH - and don't use credit cards except for necessities like renting cars when travelling and booking flights or hotel rooms. One can live very well if one sets sensible priorities. I have been asked if I get alimony to help make ends meet and I proudly tell them that no, I refused alimony and that I have earned and worked hard for everything I have. I also give generously to various charities and my church....that's my idea of "extravagant" spending!

Old 04-22-2009, 12:20 PM

970 posts, read 2,954,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
that is plenty, start off with an apartment at less than 1000$ a month and you will see how far yourmoney goes, it is plenty--we have teachers in the south

....and see what under 1k/mo gets you in Chucktown. May wanna buy a gun....

Old 04-22-2009, 12:23 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,209,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
....and see what under 1k/mo gets you in Chucktown. May wanna buy a gun....
I live in a lovely apartment complex in Summerville, two bedroom, $700/month, which includes amenities (pool, gym, etc). Now, maybe it's because I was born in the Bronx and have a different standard of safety lol, but I feel very safe here - so does my husband, and he didn't grow up in a ghetto ;p

Old 04-25-2009, 01:45 PM

3 posts, read 17,423 times
Thank you for the responses. A gun? Really? I am hoping that would be in very isolated areas...

I have done some research and think I could find a nice place to live for $1,000 or less. I don't need to be right in Charleston.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:15 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,354,995 times
You can in Summerville. Only 35 minutes to the beach.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:43 PM

go online, and check out the Apartment Finder, the places are not all in Chucktown but all over the area and nice at 800$ per month rent. I am not suppose to mention realty companies here but i can tell ya even in MP and West Ashley, the apartments are nice and under 1K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area