Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 01:18 PM

478 posts, read 1,656,928 times

Advertisements

JK - is all this rain normal for this area? It seems like it rains almost everyday. I don't think we even got this much rain in MI. My husband has seeded our backyard now a couple of times - but refuses to put down straw - the seed keeps washing away or puddling up - our backyard is like a lake.

Sorry to complain - am just shocked over all the rain - had no idea it rained this much here.

I'm getting nervous - we're having a Graduation Open House, and hoped we'd have dry weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 02:48 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,762,288 times
It was hot and sunny all day on Johns and James Islands...and it was sunny all day yesterday on Johns Island.....we haven't had rain since early Sunday morning..
But, yes, Spring is normally rainy and windy. In June, July, and August we will be wishing for rain when the grass starts turning brown! I never plan anything for outside in the Spring without a Plan B in place in case of rain.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:18 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,997,342 times
its hit & miss, last spring in summerville was dry as hell. watered the yard twice a day, brutal. This spring (last 2 weeks) flood zone. Once that Low moves away from the coast (this wknd) it probably wont rain again till next October. Thats just how it goes...Its weird and random. Welcome to CHS

Old 05-26-2009, 03:40 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,429,314 times
Gosh we haven't had hardly any rain just lots of clouds. I wish it would either rain or not.
I'll keep my fingers crossed it doesn't rain on your party.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:43 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,451,357 times
Wait until JUNE! Then it REALLY rains every day just about at supper time. There are downpours that can last just a few hours or rain buckets for a few days straight.

At least this May the temperature has been a lot nicer (cooler) than it was last May and it has rained a fair amount but still I think we've had more sunny days than rainy days. (We haven't had as much as I used to get in New England during "April showers" which brought "May Flowers" (but not always.-sometimes we had a May snowstorm which would immediately melt -- but still).

I wish the weather we've had this month would stay as it is through October and November which last year were among the coldest months (the same or worse than Jan and Feb). December was nice in the 70s most days. However last year May, June, July, August and September were WAY too hot for me. I was so looking forward to October and November when I thought nice weather in the 70's and 80's would return --but instead it dropped to the 50's and was in the 30's at night! It didn't warm up until December!

Old 05-27-2009, 06:45 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,997,342 times
Emily, its not far off from NE weather, crazy, unpredictable, lol. I too remember April/May blizzards. Like she said at least with all the rain the temps are holding downward. Last May was horid with heat. Get ready for 3 more days of hit and miss monsoons. Did we ever have a downpour yesterday! Lasted a good 45 minutes, anywhere's from an 1" to 2" fell in that span. I'm wondering if i will get a chance to cut my lawn again???

Old 05-27-2009, 06:51 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,090 times
We get popup showers and tstorms all through the summer due to the humidity and the unstable nature of the air around the ocean.

As for all the rain the last two months, well we had been in a drought (on and off) for the past ten years, we are just now starting to get caught up.

Normally the springs are wet, the summers are sticky and the fall and winter are beautiful.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:43 PM

394 posts, read 1,048,770 times
After moving here 7 years ago, I was shocked at how much it rains here. We moved in January and that spring was merciless with the rain - our well pump stopped working, the tractor shed flooded and the waters knocked over a can of gas which ran from the tractor shed to the pump house and into the well. Our water was contaminated with gasoline - ugh! The summer was very nice that year but the fall rains came and finally did the well pump in - I had two weeks of mud in my water! Being new to the area, I asked my son's preschool teacher if the torrential rain was common for the spring and fall and she laughed and said " welcome to Charleston".

Winters are usually dry and nice and summers aren't particularly wet - just humid. Look at the bright side - everyone's grass is looking fabulous! And, we don't have to water the flowerbeds!

Old 05-27-2009, 01:21 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
I think the whole of the south and south east has had way more rain than it has had in the last few years..

Old 05-27-2009, 03:05 PM

478 posts, read 1,656,928 times
A week a half ago when I tried to mow the lawn on our riding lawn mower - it got stuck in the mud. Last night our entire backyard was one big pond - what a mess! Trying to grow grass from seed, is not a good situation with this kind of rain.

But when it rains - it pours - at least it seems like it here. My dogs were whining to go out today, I opened the door and it was coming down hard, they just sat there and refused to go out.

We've found that you can easily drive in and out of the rain here - we can be in Charleston, not raining, by time we get closer to Summerville it's dark and downpouring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area