Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 02:37 AM

6 posts, read 20,116 times

Advertisements

Hi, I know I can't afford the expensive subdivisions in the area, but are there ANY nice older homes anywhere around Chas. with good schools and not in a ghetto area?
I'm not concerned with drive times or employment, just trying to find out from locals about decent areas without being priced out of living somewhere near the coast. I keep hearing about all the new subdivisions but I'm trying to get away from that mind-set of cookie cutter new home owners who think they're rich and look down on anyone who can't afford their areas.
I've got plenty of that where I live (St. Peters, mo, which is the white
flight suburbia of St. Louis). Here, it's pretty much all married couples with kids and nothing to do but shop or eat out.
I have an 11 year old daughter, so a decent school would be great, and we'd love to even live further out if needed, as long as we could get to the beach in about 20-25 minutes.
I'm looking in the $80,000 or less range. We don't need anything fancy, and older houses are more my style.
I'm single, so having other people my age (38) and situation would be nice too. I'd consider a condo or townhouse, just not with young partiers all around me. I guess I'm getting old before my time, but I live around mostly older people for neighbors and it's nice and quiet.
Any ideas,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 04:47 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,443,495 times
There are plenty of under 80K properties out there. I would have your Realtor send you some listings to preview. I quickly looked and saw several in the Summerville area (good schools for your daughter).

Old 06-19-2010, 09:05 AM

662 posts, read 1,414,934 times
There are plenty of town homes and condos available for 80k and under. The Park at Rivers Edge in North Charleston has quite a few listings and is a beautiful community (also gated). I used to live there. There is plenty to choose from. I don't think you'll find a single family home for that price though.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:48 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,785,200 times
If schools are important, you should certainly research the quality of the public schools zoned for the neighborhood you are considering. The Park at Rivers Edge is zones for Pepperhill Elementary, Alice Birney Middle and Stall High School. Pepperhill received an "average" grade, Alice Birney a "below average" and Stall High School an "at risk" score on the 2009 SC State Report Card Report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lisat View Post
There are plenty of town homes and condos available for 80k and under. The Park at Rivers Edge in North Charleston has quite a few listings and is a beautiful community (also gated). I used to live there. There is plenty to choose from. I don't think you'll find a single family home for that price though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area