Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 09:07 PM

8 posts, read 17,517 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah - and we're really big foodies. When I came before, I brought a group of 21 high school students with me on a research trip, but one thing they failed in was finding some real local food places.

When we visit Charleston, where should we absolutely eat?

(And where should we avoid?)

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 09:14 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,338,201 times
Jestines and Hominy Grill for Breakfast or lunch. RB's for dinner, Kaminsky's for desert....

Oak steak house for the best steaks in town...

Old 01-10-2010, 06:27 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,879,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbrownlee View Post
Oh yeah - and we're really big foodies. When I came before, I brought a group of 21 high school students with me on a research trip, but one thing they failed in was finding some real local food places.

When we visit Charleston, where should we absolutely eat?

(And where should we avoid?)

Thanks for your help!
The hubby and I are heading down this coming weekend to check out the area, we are eating lunch at Hominy Grill and dinner at SNOB (slightly north of broad), which are both supposed to be fantastic! I cannot wait, we are big foodies as well!

Old 01-10-2010, 07:09 AM

They are, Hominy is better for breakfast..

Old 01-10-2010, 08:57 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,879,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
They are, Hominy is better for breakfast..
Funny you should mention that, we are landing at 8:30 am on Friday, and I was thinking we would have time to pick up our rental car and head over there before 10:45 (when breakfast ends)! Do you think that is do-able OleTomCat?
Also, do you have any opinion on hotels downtown? We have narrowed it down to the Renaissance (Marriott) and the Holiday Inn and Best Western King Charles Inn, price wise we would prefer under 150/night...more money to eat with, haha!

Old 01-10-2010, 09:13 AM

It is easy to get downtown from the airport in about 10-15 minutes nonweekday traffic.

I am a loyal Holiday Inn fan, but the Renaissance and King Charles are both great hotels too...

Old 01-10-2010, 10:23 AM
LPI

110 posts, read 367,000 times
Try:

Breakfast:

Charleston Cafe Anna Knapp Plaza on Hwy 17, Mount Pleasant

Lunch or Dinner:

Seewee Restuarant, Hwy 17N just outside Mount Pleasant (Lowcountry cuisine)
Morgan's Creek Bar and Grill, Isle of Palms Marina (Seafood, Po'Boys and view)
The Glass Onion, Savannah Hwy, West Ashley (Lowcountry & organic cuisine)
Poe's Tavern, Sullivan's Island (possibly the best burger around)

Last edited by LPI; 01-10-2010 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: added Poe's

Old 01-10-2010, 01:45 PM

10 posts, read 19,966 times
-Chef Iran at the Crescent Connection in North Chuck does a killer chef's menu. Pay the $25 or so and get an incredible 5-course New Orleans meal.
-The Wreck in Mt Pleasant. Best seafood in town, usually bought right off the boat out back. This place has been featured on Food Network and for good reason! Cash/check only, and you'll need a GPS or a local friend to help you find it though (The Wreck of the Richard & Charlene Home).

Old 01-10-2010, 01:55 PM

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Jestines and Hominy Grill for Breakfast or lunch. RB's for dinner, Kaminsky's for desert....

Oak steak house for the best steaks in town...

My students and I actually tried to find Hominy Grill, but I guess that's what happens when you force a group of gifted high school students to take charge - something is going to fall by the wayside!

Thanks so much for the recomendations!

Old 01-10-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPI View Post
Try:

Breakfast:

Charleston Cafe Anna Knapp Plaza on Hwy 17, Mount Pleasant

Lunch or Dinner:

Seewee Restuarant, Hwy 17N just outside Mount Pleasant (Lowcountry cuisine)
Morgan's Creek Bar and Grill, Isle of Palms Marina (Seafood, Po'Boys and view)
The Glass Onion, Savannah Hwy, West Ashley (Lowcountry & organic cuisine)
Poe's Tavern, Sullivan's Island (possibly the best burger around)

Oooohhh... thank you for the details. I definitely want to try some Lowcountry cuisine, and I'm also rather into organic. Very helpful!! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area