Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 06:59 AM

4 posts, read 57,495 times

Advertisements

Going to spend a few days in Charleston next week with the family....what are the best local dog-friendly beaches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 07:14 AM

890 posts, read 4,326,455 times
Sullivans Island:
DOG ORDINANCE - The summer dog ordinances goes into effect on April 1, 2007.
- Dogs may be on the beach without a leash from 5am – 10 am
- No dogs allowed from 10 am – 6 pm
- Dogs may be on the beach on a leash (no longer than 10 feet) from 6 pm – 5 am

Isle of Palms:
Leash Laws: Dogs are welcome on the beach year-round. Leash laws are in effect daily, except 5 a.m.-8 a.m. Dogs are expected to be under voice command of their owners during that time. If cited, fees range from $100-$500, depending upon the frequency of the violation by the dog and owner.

Folly Beach:
From May 1st through September 30th, dogs are not allowed on the beach between 10 am and 5 pm. This law is very sensible because during those months the beach is extremely crowded during the daytime and also it’s unhealthy for dogs because of the excessive heat.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 46,196 times
Default Dogs on Folly Beach

The current City of Folly Beach ordinance for dogs prohibits dogs from the beach 10am-6pm May 1- Sept 30. Contact Folly Beach Public Safety 843-588-2433.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:22 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Please scoop the ****!

Old 05-29-2007, 12:28 PM

86 posts, read 611,114 times
and on a leash means ..YOU NEED TO HOLD THE LEASH.. People put their dogs on the lease here but do not hold their end. They let it drag.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 17,783 times
Default Unleashed dogs in the late afternoon

Today after 5 PM I was standing with a Grandmother and her 18 month old grandchild in the surf. Sudden a dog charged by me toward the toddler, stopped a foot before the child then turned and ran back. The dog was a strange dog twice as large than the child. I told the owner to keep control of her dog, but she said today is the first day of unleashed dogs on the beach, and her dog was free to run anywhere. Other dogs were running toward and around others, and the owners were texting on their mobile phones, talking with other dog owners totally oblivious to the disruption and fright they were causing. The dogs were defecating on the beach. The owners could care less. I think it would be best to restrict the unleash dog area to one section of the beach in the afternoon, perhaps block 42 toward the water tower. There they can defecate, run wild, and owners can chat among themselves without danger to children and others. Owners still have the mornings to let their dogs exercise UNleashed. Many guests and residents like to walk on the beach in the evening.

Last edited by Sholan; 09-15-2013 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: changed word

Old 09-16-2013, 03:52 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,099,198 times
Dogs on the beach: NEVER a good idea, for health or lawsuit reasons.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:07 AM

192 posts, read 409,255 times
Sholan: sorry about your experience. It saddens me to read it because I consider myself a very responsible dog owner. My dogs do run off leash on the beach, but always in my sight and under my control (and at legal hours). When I see a child they go on the leash immediately (two German Shepherds will knock the crap out of a little person just saying a friendly hello, so I don't allow it).

I'm not sure what beach you were on, but after 5PM my dogs need to be leashed (although they are usually the only ones - most owners let their dogs run free). It's a tricky situation...while I love that my dogs can run free I also think that personally I would avoid taking my little one out to a dog friendly beach during off leash hours. There's just too much bad that can happen in that situation.

Unfortunately, the owners that don't follow the rules for leashing and cleaning up after their dogs are going to ruin it for the responsible dog owners.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 9,080 times
Since the time frame which dogs are allowed is much smaller than when humans are allowed, perhaps you should be considerate of others and pick up small babies during the no-leash time. I understand that it's your way or the highway, but it seems they were following the law by coming during the designated time to the designated place.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:46 AM

207 posts, read 445,185 times
Honestly I am a dog owner and I wish all the dogs had to be on a leash. I've had too many situations with a unleashed dog coming after my dogs. I keep my dogs leashed at all times because they are greyhounds and don't have good voice recall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area