Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2007, 06:13 PM

2,706 posts, read 2,207,814 times

Advertisements

Does Charleston get Hummingbirds and if so are they out yet? My wife brought some brand new feeders with us and have them out, but have not seen any birds yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 06:22 AM

890 posts, read 4,326,455 times
I have them here in my yard in Summerville and see them all the time. I don't put anything out, they are naturally attracted to my plants I have around the patio. I have a water fountain and watched one take a bath in it one morning.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:11 PM

64 posts, read 291,017 times
I live in Orangeburg and have put out 2 feeders. I have seen them at the one outside my kitchen window, but really don't pay enough attention to the other location. Also that feeder is more pretty than functional. However, I am entranced by the other birds that come to our normal feeder. We have tufted titmice, painted buntings, bluebirds, bluejays and cardinals plus all sorts of other varieties. My husband has always been more into birds than I have, but since moving here, I love it. A finch has even built her nest in our Boston fern hangin from our porch. It is so cool.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:48 PM

38 posts, read 203,744 times
What kind of bird bath do you have?
I would just love to see one take a bath...........
I have about five here in Belton, SC.
I just love them
dee

Old 06-06-2007, 06:26 AM

2,706 posts, read 2,207,814 times
We still have not seen any hummingbirds in the Mt. Pleasant area. My neighbors are not getting any either.

Has anyone in the Mt. Pleasant area seen any?

Old 06-06-2007, 12:24 PM

36 posts, read 167,593 times
We have them in McClellanville. As far as feeders go, it takes them a while (a week or two) to find them after you put new feeders out, but then they'll be fighting over them.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:56 PM

168 posts, read 694,650 times
Hummingbirds are pretty skittish. Is there anything in your yard that could possibly be scaring them away? It's my understanding that they are attracted to red flowers. You could always try adding those around your yard to see if that helps. I live in Lexington and they really like my hibiscus tree.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:54 PM

890 posts, read 4,326,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Ueckert View Post
What kind of bird bath do you have?
I would just love to see one take a bath...........
I have about five here in Belton, SC.
I just love them
dee
Oh it's not a bird bath, it is a flowing water fountain. Another main attraction around here is dragonflies. We hold our fingers up while floating in the pool and they come and land on our fingers and sometimes our toes. It's quite entertaining.

Last edited by scjj; 06-06-2007 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area